U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:03 AM

14 posts, read 34,567 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
Figured I'd report back to update this thread.

So I had an amazing time in Detroit.
Decided to rent a car and had zero problems driving around in either downtown or in the outlying suburbs.
Crime was not an issue at all.
As I mentioned earlier, I stayed at the Regency on E. Jefferson and it was about a 10 minute walk to Hart Plaza. I walked it in the day and felt very safe. I didn't walk too far outside of downtown but did drive to some of the abandoned factories and took some nice shots that I'm sharing here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jQ?usp=sharing

The first night I went to The Marble Bar on Holden St. and was able to find a parking spot just a few steps away form the front door so safety was not a problem. The area did seem pretty desolate and I wouldn't have felt comfortable turning a corner. Awesome club with decent sound system and people who were definitely there for the music - not just to be "seen".

Second night I went the Leland Club on Bagely St. this place felt even safer because there were a lot of people around at even 2am.
One thing I found very funny was that after I left at about 6am I went to dinner about 2 blocks away and had to get a pat down to enter the diner. I guess you know you're in Detroit if you get a pat down to go into a diner.
From what I understand Leland is an old hotel and it's pretty run down, the main room was in what looked like was the hotel lobby. Very high ceilings with run down architectural work in side.

On my last night I went to The Works on Michigan Ave. which was the grimiest of the clubs I went to. This was another spot that had an amazon sound system, especially for a place with so much exposed brick walls. The crowd was going pretty strong by the time I left at about 7am.

I saw quite a few people wearing "Detroit Hustles Harder" t-shirts and there is definitely no arguing that statement.

Detroit is a place worth saving and the people have much love for their city.

Thank you all for your input and helping me plan my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 03:43 PM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Glad you had a nice time.

The Leland is in the works for a makeover. It will take a while to come up with the money (about 100 million). Until then it is the cheap living location for those on the fringe. People who live there do pretty much as they please. As long as they do not complain when the elevator, heat or whatever stop working, they are good tenants. Suppsedly there is some noise when they use the hallways on uninhabited floors as a bowling alley. In the basement of the Leland is Detroit City Club which is Detroit freakiest night spot. I suspect that is where you were if you were there until 6 a.m. Not much else is open that long. On Saturday night they have (or had) a "clothing optional" rule. They have neat events like BDSM night and the like. I have never heard it is unsafe despite being open basically all night and being in a basement that is sometimes completely flooded - except for the probability of STDs.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:45 AM

152 posts, read 108,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby769 View Post
Hello Everyone,
Figured I'd report back to update this thread.

So I had an amazing time in Detroit.
Decided to rent a car and had zero problems driving around in either downtown or in the outlying suburbs.
Crime was not an issue at all.
As I mentioned earlier, I stayed at the Regency on E. Jefferson and it was about a 10 minute walk to Hart Plaza. I walked it in the day and felt very safe. I didn't walk too far outside of downtown but did drive to some of the abandoned factories and took some nice shots that I'm sharing here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jQ?usp=sharing

The first night I went to The Marble Bar on Holden St. and was able to find a parking spot just a few steps away form the front door so safety was not a problem. The area did seem pretty desolate and I wouldn't have felt comfortable turning a corner. Awesome club with decent sound system and people who were definitely there for the music - not just to be "seen".

Second night I went the Leland Club on Bagely St. this place felt even safer because there were a lot of people around at even 2am.
One thing I found very funny was that after I left at about 6am I went to dinner about 2 blocks away and had to get a pat down to enter the diner. I guess you know you're in Detroit if you get a pat down to go into a diner.
From what I understand Leland is an old hotel and it's pretty run down, the main room was in what looked like was the hotel lobby. Very high ceilings with run down architectural work in side.

On my last night I went to The Works on Michigan Ave. which was the grimiest of the clubs I went to. This was another spot that had an amazon sound system, especially for a place with so much exposed brick walls. The crowd was going pretty strong by the time I left at about 7am.

I saw quite a few people wearing "Detroit Hustles Harder" t-shirts and there is definitely no arguing that statement.

Detroit is a place worth saving and the people have much love for their city.

Thank you all for your input and helping me plan my visit.
that's good, glad you had a great time, I always have loved Detroit, my mom comes from there and I would visit all the time growing up, so I always appreciated the city. no matter how or what the city struggles with, its still a beautiful city and metro area. its a very diverse and unique metro. glad you had a great time.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:15 AM

366 posts, read 213,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Glad you had a nice time.
Saturday night they have (or had) a "clothing optional" rule.

Damn,never saw that advertised when i visited downtown a couple of years ago.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:40 PM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
Damn,never saw that advertised when i visited downtown a couple of years ago.
They do not advertise. The club has a website, but I think they update it every 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or