U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 34,512 times

Advertisements

Hello Detroiters,

I'm planning a visit to Detroit in May for the Movement Festival at Hart Plaza.
This will be my first visit and i'll be coming alone.

One thing I'd like to better understand in advance is safety aspects.
So how safe is it to walk around in Downtown in early morning hours?
Since I'll be coming for a music festival I do plan on being out and about at pretty much all hours and am trying to figure out if I should rent a car. How is the parking?

I'm figuring that I'll be in downtown and maybe up to 30 minutes drive in the area.
Photography is also a hobby so is it safe to walk around outside of downtown?

Some of the addresses that have had parties in previous years were:
4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit, MI 48201,
1501 Holden St., Detroit, MI 48208,
1777 3rd St., Detroit, MI 48226

BTW,
If anyone's going to Movement or know anyone who is, I'm looking to meet up with like minded people soooo, lemme know.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,461,794 times
Downtown is as safe as any other large city, at all hours of the day. Lots of cameras, a constant police presence. Honestly, the only time I feel unsafe is crossing the road (people like to run red lights downtown. Almost got ran over today.... )

Parking kind of sucks and it will probably cost a minimum of $20, with no re-entry. I'm not sure where you are staying, but the People Mover is an elevated rail system that circles the downtown area, and it stops at both the Ren Cen and Cobo, which are on either side of Hart Plaza. By then, the Q Line should be running, which is a street-car that will run up and down Woodward, the main road. Downtown is also walkable. The only problem is that the People Mover and QLine stop running at a certain time. They could be open later during the festival.

Leaving downtown is hit or miss in terms of safety. Some areas will be totally fine (like Corktown, Midtown, Belle Isle, etc...), other areas should be avoided.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,743,255 times
There would be no reason to rent a car. There are tons of Ubers downtown to get you from place to place and light rail will be running up down Woodward for daytime excursions. Safety should not be a concern anywhere from downtown up through Midtown/New Center or east to Belle Isle.

Most of the parties are downtown, centered around Eastern Market/midtown or up near the new Wings arena (e.g. TV Lounge, Old Miami, Marble Bar, El Club, Northern Lights Lounge, Majestic, MGM) - all of which are safer (from a drinking/partying perspective not to drive and just Uber or Lyft).

And of course the big party is Hart Plaza which is right on the river - so there's a stready steam between Campus Martius, Ren Cen, Cobo and Hart Plaza. Enjoy - and don't forget your neon/glow in the dark outfits!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Thank you both for the details.

Can't wait!!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
(people like to run red lights downtown. Almost got ran over today.... )

Probably a bus. the buses seem to be the worst.

You are generally good anywhere downtown/midtown on F,S,S, until about midnight, and on other weekdays until about 9 or 10. Later, it gets kind of empty and you are likely to get harassed by homeless people who see you and want to beg for money. It is not much of a threat, but enough to make you want to walk fast and not respond to anyone who calls out to you.

Even late at night, I am rarely uncomfortable walking alone in mid-town. There are usually people around. Downtown late at night, you are mostly alone, so there is no threat, but most people you do encounter - you probably want to avoid.

Brush Park - the area between downtown and midtown can be kind of uncomfortable. I would take uber or a cab if you are going through there alone late at night. However I have walked there many times and not had anything that became a problem (just some slightly uncomfortable/unsettling experiences - and once some running). If there are a lot of people around, it is generally pretty safe. When it gets empty, it depends on where you are.

Places to know and avoid walking alone in the late night include brush park, the transportation center (bus station), and anything much downriver from Cobo, inland from Jefferson.

Some particular places draw sketchy types. For example, I would not leave Detroit City Club alone on foot if I had other options.

To me, during daytime or early evening (before midnight) there is no place I cannot walk to that I would ever want to be. However I like to walk. Anyplace within 2 miles I would prefer to walk rather than drive unless it is painfully cold or raining.

During a festival, the area around Ren Cen, cobo, and the plaza is usually so full of people you are not in much of a threat.

"Photography is also a hobby so is it safe to walk around outside of downtown?"

No. Not if you do not know where you are going. Many areas are fine. Some are fine in the daytime. Some are pretty sketchy. Generally however, you will realize immediately if you are in area where you should not be and you can turn around and go back the way you came.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nope. A car. I cannot figure out why drivers think the lights around Campus Martius are optional... Last I checked, red meant stop.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Nope. A car. I cannot figure out why drivers think the lights around Campus Martius are optional... Last I checked, red meant stop.
Crossing Michigan Ave at Griswold seems particularly dangerous. Either Lafayette does not get a red light when the crosswalk light goes to walk, or everyone just ignores it.

I have nearly been hit at that intersection about 15 times. Probably 11 of those times = buses. I think buses are the biggest hazard to driving or walking in Detroit. They jump out from the cub and cross two lanes without signaling, run lights, ignore people in crosswalks. City buses are second worst. The worst is a transportation company anchor, encore. . . something like that. I will have to look for the name, they are easy to spot, their drivers are consistently horrid.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Crossing Michigan Ave at Griswold seems particularly dangerous. Either Lafayette does not get a red light when the crosswalk light goes to walk, or everyone just ignores it.

I have nearly been hit at that intersection about 15 times. Probably 11 of those times = buses. I think buses are the biggest hazard to driving or walking in Detroit. They jump out from the cub and cross two lanes without signaling, run lights, ignore people in crosswalks. City buses are second worst. The worst is a transportation company anchor, encore. . . something like that. I will have to look for the name, they are easy to spot, their drivers are consistently horrid.
That corner is rough. You have city buses heading to the transit center and the buses you are talking about are likely the Royal Transportation buses that Gilbert has contracted to shuttle their employees to and from outlying areas. Every QL person I've encountered has many complaints about the Royal buses.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:

You are generally good anywhere downtown/midtown on F,S,S, until about midnight, and on other weekdays until about 9 or 10. Later, it gets kind of empty and you are likely to get harassed by homeless people who see you and want to beg for money. It is not much of a threat, but enough to make you want to walk fast and not respond to anyone who calls out to you.

Even late at night, I am rarely uncomfortable walking alone in mid-town. There are usually people around. Downtown late at night, you are mostly alone, so there is no threat, but most people you do encounter - you probably want to avoid.

Brush Park - the area between downtown and midtown can be kind of uncomfortable. I would take uber or a cab if you are going through there alone late at night. However I have walked there many times and not had anything that became a problem (just some slightly uncomfortable/unsettling experiences - and once some running). If there are a lot of people around, it is generally pretty safe. When it gets empty, it depends on where you are.

Places to know and avoid walking alone in the late night include brush park, the transportation center (bus station), and anything much downriver from Cobo, inland from Jefferson.

Some particular places draw sketchy types. For example, I would not leave Detroit City Club alone on foot if I had other options.

To me, during daytime or early evening (before midnight) there is no place I cannot walk to that I would ever want to be. However I like to walk. Anyplace within 2 miles I would prefer to walk rather than drive unless it is painfully cold or raining.

During a festival, the area around Ren Cen, cobo, and the plaza is usually so full of people you are not in much of a threat.

"Photography is also a hobby so is it safe to walk around outside of downtown?"

No. Not if you do not know where you are going. Many areas are fine. Some are fine in the daytime. Some are pretty sketchy. Generally however, you will realize immediately if you are in area where you should not be and you can turn around and go back the way you came.
Thanks for the details.
I'm staying at The Detroit Regency on E. Jefferson and will likely use uber for some of the longer drives.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby769 View Post
Thanks for the details.
I'm staying at The Detroit Regency on E. Jefferson and will likely use uber for some of the longer drives.
Enjoy.

That hotel is out a ways. I do not recall seeing it but then I do not go up Jefferson in that direction all that often, mostly on my way to Belle Isle, Grosse Pointe or Indian Village - and usually early morning or at night. I am not sure you will be in walking distance of anything, but you can take a short Uber ride to the Ren Cen and then people mover from there. If you do walk, use common sense. There are not going to be a lot of people out that way. I would suggest you get the Riverwalk as soon as you can and walk that way. It is prettier, away form traffic and safer (cameras every few hundred feet and regular security patrols.) despite downtwon and midtown being reasonably safe, it is still a city and you are out somewhat and if walking at night, you may be walking alone. It is always better to be in a crowd. I hope you have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or