Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 PM

18 posts, read 41,418 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Ann Arbor forum last September, but I need more insight on what I should do about this.

I currently am a community college student in Central California (Stockton-area) looking to eventually start a career in the automotive industry, so, as you might imagine, I was looking into going to SE Michigan since this area is the car capital of the world. And, why am I wanting to move from CA to MI? Well, believe me on this one, California is in the TOILET and has been for decades! And the part I live in, the Central Valley, is basically the armpit of the entire state. Here are some reasons:

1. WAY too expensive, especially in the "desirable" areas i.e. Bay Area, Los Angeles, Orange County, in which a hole-in-the-wall one-bedroom apartment WILL cost you, on average, upwards of $5000 in some places just to rent! I do intend on raising a family one day, so cost of living will be a HUGE concern for me.

2. Economy has been in the doldrums for years. CA really hasn't recovered from the dark days 2008 crash, with CA's already failing education system having tens of billions of $ taken out of the cost structure and never put back in. Also, other important services such as healthcare and public safety received major cuts as well, which further aggravated other problems, such as the ever rising crime rate throughout the state.

3. Illegals. Illegals. Illegals. Not that I have anything against Latinos, but the state government keeps giving billions of dollars in aid money to people who do NOT deserve it, and, while on the subject, I am feeling like a minority in my OWN COUNTRY due to this, and knowing fluent Spanish is basically an unofficial requirement just to get by here.

4. My pet peeve: THE WEATHER!!! Now, you may say "But California's weather is perfect!" It isn't. This summer has been the HOTTEST in recent memory, with most days being 100+ degrees in the afternoon, with awful air quality. Now, I know Michigan's weather is tougher to deal with than where I am now, but my dad keeps saying it is completely impossible for me to survive in an MI winter. While he says that, I know people who HAVE lived in SE Michigan, and they say it is perfectly fine.

And before I forget, I just want to let you all know that I am looking in the suburbs, NOT in the inner-city of Detroit. Any ideas on where to go would be fabulous, and as a reminder, I do plan on working in the car industry. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:50 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,283,793 times
What you can afford here will depend on what kind of job you can secure. While SE Michigan is generally not California expensive, the desirable areas like Ann Arbor and the nicer suburbs of Detroit will still run you well over $1,000/month for a nice one bedroom apartment in a safe area, I know because our daughter is currently looking. Small towns in the outlying areas that would involve a commute are generally cheaper but less convenient. Also, some of those small towns (Saline, Chelsea) are considered quite desirable and their price points reflect that. What you can afford will depend entirely on how much you earn at your job, just like anywhere else.

As far as winter in Michigan, I think people who don't live here tend to exaggerate how bad our winters are. Yes, it gets cold, and yes, it does snow...some. But it isn't like November through March is one continuous sub-zero blizzard like some people want to believe, not even close. Many years it is still quite warm well into November with highs in the mid-50s. We often don't get snow until well into December and it is usually done by early March except that occasional March snowfall in which there is any accumulation. I am speaking of SE Michigan, which is where I live and where you are looking to move, not the upper Lower Peninsula or the Upper Peninsula. That's another thing: people tend to lump all of Michigan together weather wise but Michigan is a huge state and a typical winter in Metro Detroit is much different than a typical winter somewhere like Traverse City or Marquette, which are hundreds of miles away. Last winter we had enough snow to require shoveling our driveway exactly twice, other than that any snowfall here was under an inch or so or not at all. Temps will dip down into the single digits overnight sometimes and very occasionally during the day, but normally daytime highs in January-February are in the 20s and 30s and quite tolerable as long as you just dress for the weather. I would much rather endure one of our winters than a summer somewhere where the daily temps run 100+. Cold weather isn't the only type of uncomfortable weather.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,482,946 times
What are you studying? What kind of career are you looking for in the autos?

There are a lot of nice suburbs, but which one you choose will depend a lot on where you land. If you get a job at FCA in Auburn Hills, you're not going to want to live out in Ann Arbor.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
What you can afford here will depend on what kind of job you can secure. While SE Michigan is generally not California expensive, the desirable areas like Ann Arbor and the nicer suburbs of Detroit will still run you well over $1,000/month for a nice one bedroom apartment in a safe area, I know because our daughter is currently looking.
In Ann Arbor the closer you get to downtown and campus the more crime there is AND the more expensive the housing becomes. Kind of ironic but basically true. If you stay on the outer edges of town you can find one bedroom places for $800-$1200 but they do fill up quickly.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,145,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
What you can afford here will depend on what kind of job you can secure. While SE Michigan is generally not California expensive, the desirable areas like Ann Arbor and the nicer suburbs of Detroit will still run you well over $1,000/month for a nice one bedroom apartment in a safe area, I know because our daughter is currently looking. Small towns in the outlying areas that would involve a commute are generally cheaper but less convenient. Also, some of those small towns (Saline, Chelsea) are considered quite desirable and their price points reflect that. What you can afford will depend entirely on how much you earn at your job, just like anywhere else.
Not everybody needs to live in an exclusive area where apartments are over $1,000/month. There are plenty of apartments in perfectly fine, safe communities like Madison Heights and Farmington Hills and Sterling Heights, where you can get a nice one-bedroom for $800 to $1000, for instance:

Windemere - Independence Drive | Farmington Hills, MI Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Shoal Creek - Sterling Heights, MI | Apartment Finder

Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCA View Post
I currently am a community college student in Central California (Stockton-area) looking to eventually start a career in the automotive industry<...>I do plan on working in the car industry. Thanks!
Just out of interest, what are you looking to do in automotive? Most professional jobs are going to require a lot more than an AA...

Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 AM

944 posts, read 1,204,180 times
You could work as a technician, but I would strongly advise matriculating to a 4-year university if you intend to work as an engineer in any capacity. I imagine UC Davis has a good program and it's near to your home, getting a degree in engineering is probably one of the best investments left out there.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
You could work as a technician
...in which case moving halfway across the country would seem to be rather pointless.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Most of the suburbs are reasonably nice to awesome. A lot depends on what you are looking for, fun/exicting, pleasant, rural, urban (ish), water access . . .

What are your top priorities. Price, community, commute, shopping or dining, nature, . . .

Apartment, town home, house, condo? Subdivision, acreage, urban neighborhood?

Then you need a general location. You do not want a two hour drive.

Is there anything you fear water, deer, eagles, trains, bridges, traffic, etc.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 AM

290 posts, read 311,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCA View Post
I posted this in the Ann Arbor forum last September, but I need more insight on what I should do about this.

I currently am a community college student in Central California (Stockton-area) looking to eventually start a career in the automotive industry, so, as you might imagine, I was looking into going to SE Michigan since this area is the car capital of the world. And, why am I wanting to move from CA to MI? Well, believe me on this one, California is in the TOILET and has been for decades! And the part I live in, the Central Valley, is basically the armpit of the entire state. Here are some reasons:

1. WAY too expensive, especially in the "desirable" areas i.e. Bay Area, Los Angeles, Orange County, in which a hole-in-the-wall one-bedroom apartment WILL cost you, on average, upwards of $5000 in some places just to rent! I do intend on raising a family one day, so cost of living will be a HUGE concern for me.

2. Economy has been in the doldrums for years. CA really hasn't recovered from the dark days 2008 crash, with CA's already failing education system having tens of billions of $ taken out of the cost structure and never put back in. Also, other important services such as healthcare and public safety received major cuts as well, which further aggravated other problems, such as the ever rising crime rate throughout the state.

3. Illegals. Illegals. Illegals. Not that I have anything against Latinos, but the state government keeps giving billions of dollars in aid money to people who do NOT deserve it, and, while on the subject, I am feeling like a minority in my OWN COUNTRY due to this, and knowing fluent Spanish is basically an unofficial requirement just to get by here.

4. My pet peeve: THE WEATHER!!! Now, you may say "But California's weather is perfect!" It isn't. This summer has been the HOTTEST in recent memory, with most days being 100+ degrees in the afternoon, with awful air quality. Now, I know Michigan's weather is tougher to deal with than where I am now, but my dad keeps saying it is completely impossible for me to survive in an MI winter. While he says that, I know people who HAVE lived in SE Michigan, and they say it is perfectly fine.

And before I forget, I just want to let you all know that I am looking in the suburbs, NOT in the inner-city of Detroit. Any ideas on where to go would be fabulous, and as a reminder, I do plan on working in the car industry. Thanks!
Personally I think you need to look inwardly at yourself, you have been on City Data yelling about where you live since you were a sophomore in high school. Where is your family? Do they know that you hate it there with them? Most high school kids that hate where they live have discussed a plan with their family or high school counselor. Since you knew this at 15 years of age did anyone tell you your options then, Colleges near where you want to live, join the military see the world etc. Personally I think you didn't prepare yourself academically or socially and are looking for scapegoats why things aren't "perfect" PS you still have options, catch up, get a plan, find yourself, it is a lot of competition out here and nothing will be handed to you including a job in the "automotive industry"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit