U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I bet when you saw the title of that article, your lips curled up in a wide, cheeky grin. "Finally, here is proof that Midtown is the dangerous warzone that I have been claiming all along", exclaimed zthatzmanz28!!

Your view is not balanced. Your narrative is: the whole city of Detroit is a cesspool, even Midtown.

Here is my narrative, and it is far more balanced: Midtown has improved leaps and bounds, is on its way to becoming a vibrant urban neighborhood, but still is in a state of transition. Midtown is an urban neighborhood and will always have more crime than pristine streetcar suburbs like Royal Oak.

To see if I could prove my point, I thought of Chicago and the first 3 urban upscale Chicago neighborhoods that popped into my head were Andersonville, Lakeview, and Logan Square. I then went to Google and typed in 'andersonville Chicago shooting', 'lakeview Chicago shooting', etc, and the following were the search results:

Andersonville:
Man shot, critically wounded in Andersonville, November 24th, 2016

Lakeview:
Lakeview: Triple-Shooting at Sheffield and Oakdale, October 29th, 2016

Logan Square:
Chicago shootings: 3 hit in Logan Square, October 28th, 2016

Even the best of urban neighborhoods have some violent crime. It's very, very unfortunate, but that's reality in the US
Chiraq isn't the first city I would think of as having some of the "safest" urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:58 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Chiraq isn't the first city I would think of as having some of the "safest" urban neighborhoods.
Chicago is the pinnacle of urban living in the Midwest and one of the greatest American cities. Despite the increased shootings the last 2 years, it has a murder rate lower than Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis (which has the highest rate), New Orleans - you know all the usual suspects.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM

24,506 posts, read 25,328,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Chicago has some extremely safe neighborhoods. It also has dangerous ones. It also has a lot of neighborhoods.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,555,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Chicago is the pinnacle of urban living in the Midwest and one of the greatest American cities. Despite the increased shootings the last 2 years, it has a murder rate lower than Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis (which has the highest rate), New Orleans - you know all the usual suspects.
Guess you could say that if you aspire to be New York lite. But I'm from the Chicago area originally and now reside in the Metro Detroit. The biggest drawback to Chicago is that it is overpriced, extremely congested & overtaxed. Compare the COL in the Metro Detroit area vs. Chicagoland. Especially suburb to suburb, I think you get more for your $ in Metro Detroit. If you absolutely have to be in Chicago due to a unique job that pays handsomely sure, then take it. If you're young & absolutely need to be in a walkable neighborhood with transit near a bunch of other millenials, I can see why you'd want to be in Chicago for a while. But I'm over all of that (and no longer 20 something) lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or