U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM

507 posts, read 614,845 times

Advertisements

I'm currently apartment hunting in Detroit, and I found a place I really like in Springwells near Vernor Hwy and Dix. While the apartment itself is nice, I'm not too sure about the area. I've heard mix messages about crime, general safety, and parking a car on the street overnight (the apartment does not have secured parking).

I'm interested in learning more about Springwells in general. I have been been looking for a place in SW Detroit because the culture and community, but I'm not quite sure about this area. I'm thinking it might make more sense to live nearer to the Hubbard Farms area of Mexicantown. Any feedback/insight is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,807,081 times
Vernor and Dix actually intersect twice... which end are you talking about? by the cemetery or by Mexicantown? Have you been to the area before? Do you know anybody around there? Is the apartment building itself secured or can anybody just come into the building? I stay the night and hang out in SW Detroit all the time (but more around the Michigan AVE area) and nothing has happened to my car so far or anybody I know that lives over there. I still wouldn't leave valuables in my car and would make sure my door is locked and alarm is secured.

Springwells is one of the more diverse areas of the city so you probably won't stand out too much no matter who you are. I personally have never had problems over there as an adult (I used to live over there when I was little). Things do happen over there from time to time but it's unlikely it will happen to you. The biggest thing is use common sense and mind your business.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM

14,551 posts, read 13,300,136 times
https://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM

507 posts, read 614,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Vernor and Dix actually intersect twice... which end are you talking about? by the cemetery or by Mexicantown? Have you been to the area before? Do you know anybody around there? Is the apartment building itself secured or can anybody just come into the building? I stay the night and hang out in SW Detroit all the time (but more around the Michigan AVE area) and nothing has happened to my car so far or anybody I know that lives over there. I still wouldn't leave valuables in my car and would make sure my door is locked and alarm is secured.

Springwells is one of the more diverse areas of the city so you probably won't stand out too much no matter who you are. I personally have never had problems over there as an adult (I used to live over there when I was little). Things do happen over there from time to time but it's unlikely it will happen to you. The biggest thing is use common sense and mind your business.
Thanks for the info! I'm only somewhat familiar with the area, and I completely forgot that Vernor and Dix intersect twice. The place is nearer to Mexicantown. I do not know anyone around there, but I do have friends that live in neighborhoods nearby. I was completely fine with the place, until a person doing maintenance in the building spoke pretty negatively about the area, so I started to reconsider. Other people I have spoken to have been much more neutral or positive.

I really like the diversity in Springwells, and the fact that several organizations and foundations have invested a lot into supporting the community and infrastructure.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,807,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm only somewhat familiar with the area, and I completely forgot that Vernor and Dix intersect twice. The place is nearer to Mexicantown. I do not know anyone around there, but I do have friends that live in neighborhoods nearby. I was completely fine with the place, until a person doing maintenance in the building spoke pretty negatively about the area, so I started to reconsider. Other people I have spoken to have been much more neutral or positive.

I really like the diversity in Springwells, and the fact that several organizations and foundations have invested a lot into supporting the community and infrastructure.
Well, if you talk to 10 people that live a neighborhood and 3 of them have bad experiences. They will probably have a much different outlook on that neighborhood as the other 7. Like I said, things do happen over there but it is unlikely (depending on your lifestyle) that it will happen to you. Just be realistic about your expectations and you will probably end up liking it. It's not the nicest neighborhood or as safe and quiet as the suburbs. If you can, get a short term lease at the apartment and see how you like it by the time your short term lease is up. Good luck to you man. Update us on what you decide.

BTW, make sure the apartment doesn't have bad management or is a slumlord. I would be more worried about that honestly. Alot of people's "bad experiences" come from dealing with people like slumlords, bad maintenance people, bad neighbors, or homeless people outside the apartment or nearly store begging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or