Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM

420 posts, read 469,028 times

Advertisements

I was told it is when I was there but it feels separate and more like a sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Depends on the viewpoint. People who live in Dearborn heights certainly do not think so.

It also depends on where in Derborn Heights you are considering. The little strip of D.H. between Dearborn and Inkster is very much a part of Dearborn and it is hard to tell the difference. LIkewise the part down by Allen Park. However if you are all the way out by Livinoa - very much less connected to Dearborn.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
What are you looking for? Is this just a comparison or are you considering real estate? Dearborn is quite different from the Heights in many ways, yet as stated by CJ, they can be seen as similar..

Dearborn is older. Has a "downtown" strip and some commercial / industry.

Th Heights tend to be newer, tract housing, no real downtown, and much more commercial business.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Very different, even within each part. You can't paint both with a broad brush.

East Dearborn
West Dearborn
"North" Dearborn Heights
"South" Dearborn Heights

All have different demographics, real estate values, types of homes, and different appeals.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:35 AM

considering real estate in Dearborn specifically or Hamtramck. Realtor.com sometimes would list a listing passing off as in "Hamtramck" yet it's really in Detroit "close" to Hamtramck. Would I know I'm in Hamtramck if I see Polish looking houses with those pointy rooftops? I've seen a few houses listed for less than $50K, for my starter home. I'm in Baltimore right now and my visit to Dearborn/Detroit/Hamtramck last November was great. I kinda miss doing 75/80 on the highway. The food, the culture and diversity was all there. The Canadian border, etc. Baltimore do not have any of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What are you looking for? Is this just a comparison or are you considering real estate? Dearborn is quite different from the Heights in many ways, yet as stated by CJ, they can be seen as similar..

Dearborn is older. Has a "downtown" strip and some commercial / industry.

Th Heights tend to be newer, tract housing, no real downtown, and much more commercial business.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Would I know I'm in Hamtramck if I see Polish looking houses with those pointy rooftops?
Those homes aren't specifically Polish. Those were what was typically built in Detroit's working class neighborhoods. Hamtramck happens to have a greater density of those homes because of slower population loss compared to the surrounding area. Generally, you can tell a home is in Hamtramck because of the lack of empty lots and/or burnt homes nearby.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 PM

note to self: Dearborn Heights zip codes are 48125 and 48127.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit