Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM

211 posts, read 299,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
That's very true, I moved here from San Diego where I couldn't afford even the smallest, ugliest house in any of the desirable neighborhoods so I paid a fortune in rent. I moved here and bought a nicely sized, absolutely beautiful older house that is full of character, but also has all the modern upgrades, and it's in a great area. In San Diego for the amount I paid for my house, I would only be able to afford a tiny run down house in one of the way out, boring, ugly suburbs, nowhere near the pretty parts of the city.

True, but don't go outside in the metro Detroit area for 1/2 the year. Also less attractions(ie. cafes, bars, nature) compared to San Diego.

Furthermore, if you move to rural Iowa you could get houses for even cheaper!

The COL is cheap in Detroit, but the QOL is also cheap. As someone said, you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
True, but don't go outside in the metro Detroit area for 1/2 the year. Also less attractions(ie. cafes, bars, nature) compared to San Diego.

Furthermore, if you move to rural Iowa you could get houses for even cheaper!

The COL is cheap in Detroit, but the QOL is also cheap. As someone said, you get what you pay for.
Half the year is a bit ridiculous. And I think the Detroit area has it's fair share of bars and other attractions.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Why wouldn't you go outside for 1/2 the year? That makes no sense? Are you afraid of sunburn?

In winter months you ski, snowmobile, ice fish, ice hockey. In summer months you boat, water ski, tube, camp.

Paradise year round if you ask me.

Remember, no matter where you live, only boring people get bored. It's a choice. Or lack thereof.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Half the year is a bit ridiculous. And I think the Detroit area has it's fair share of bars and other attractions.
Yes, I agree. I go out all the time, there are very few days where it's truly too cold or snowy to go out, and I enjoy those days with a nice fire in my beautiful house. Detroit has tons of bars and attractions. I currently live in the Royal Oak area. Ferndale, RO, Berkley, Birmingham, as well as downtown Detroit have more than enough bars, restaurants, and cultural events. I go to concerts, symphony, opera, and restaurants just like I did in SD. It's very similar to going to the different neighborhoods in SD, these are different cities, but they are still right next to each other.

I don't love winter or anything, but my overall quality of life is just as good here as it was in San Diego. I like having seasons, and I'm very fair so the constant sun of SD was trying for me. SD is basically desert, all tha plants have to be watered which used to upset me because it was such a waste. Nature wise Detroit wins hands down, I love all the trees and greenery here in MI, and I prefer all the lakes/rivers to the ocean and no lakes or rivers. To compare living in metro Detroit to rural Iowa makes no sense.

Spending 14 years in different states was great, I highly encourage people to venture out, but it's not necessary to move to enjoy life.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times
I relocated to Metro Detroit from Laguna Beach, and lived in several areas of the country as well as abroad. So I think I can give a fair and objective assessment. The suburban areas of Wayne county seem flat and not all too attractive. However, Oakland country is very nice. There are many upscale communities and hills. Oakland county alone has 600 lakes and there are many pedestrian areas. Bloomfield Hills reminds me of the English countryside. The communities which surround Pine Lake, Orchard Lake, Cass Lake, Upper Straits, Union Lake, Commerce Lake, and the list goes on and on are all beautiful. I have not seen too many metropolitan areas which have such topography. Yes, there are but only a handful. So, I am at a loss when I read posts by people who say Metro Detroit is ugly.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, I agree. I go out all the time, there are very few days where it's truly too cold or snowy to go out, and I enjoy those days with a nice fire in my beautiful house. Detroit has tons of bars and attractions. I currently live in the Royal Oak area. Ferndale, RO, Berkley, Birmingham, as well as downtown Detroit have more than enough bars, restaurants, and cultural events. I go to concerts, symphony, opera, and restaurants just like I did in SD. It's very similar to going to the different neighborhoods in SD, these are different cities, but they are still right next to each other.

I don't love winter or anything, but my overall quality of life is just as good here as it was in San Diego. I like having seasons, and I'm very fair so the constant sun of SD was trying for me. SD is basically desert, all tha plants have to be watered which used to upset me because it was such a waste. Nature wise Detroit wins hands down, I love all the trees and greenery here in MI, and I prefer all the lakes/rivers to the ocean and no lakes or rivers. To compare living in metro Detroit to rural Iowa makes no sense.

Spending 14 years in different states was great, I highly encourage people to venture out, but it's not necessary to move to enjoy life.
I always appreciate input from people who actually know what the hell their talking about (eg. experience in both areas).

Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Detroit is perhaps the most suburban, urban, city in America. For a Northern city, it truly emulates what is wrong with a lot of Southern "Sun Belt" cities. Even Cleveland has a better developed urban core.

Downtown is still impressive though.
At it's population height (in 1950), Detroit had the similar population density (13,000/square mile) as St. Louis, Washington D.C., and Baltimore.

In the sunbelt cities, you won't see blocks and blocks of multi-family houses like you see below:

Dexter-Davison

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=glend...v4phkgcMgXYadQ

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=tyler...vooeUTxRwoCHhg

Mexicantown

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3925+...48216&t=m&z=17

West Village

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=8082+...48214&t=m&z=17

New Center

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=668+S...J7uuA_DjTIcdLg

Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Detroit proper and the inner-ring suburbs are ugly that's for sure. But if you head further north on I-75 there are some beautiful areas.

But as a whole, metro Detroit is not as wealthy as some other metros. All they know in Detroit is cars and frankly they aren't very good with them either. Other metros are home to big IT/tech firms, financial firms, start-ups, etc. But I've been to many cities and generally, suburbs are suburbs. There are nice ones and there are ugly ones.

The whole of Detroit proper is not ugly. There are a lot of pretty neighborhoods left in Detroit, and they uniqueness and quality equal or exceed those beautiful areas up Interstate-75.

West Canfield

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=668+W...48201&t=m&z=17

East English Village

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4827+...48224&t=m&z=17

Joseph Barry Subdivision

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=362+L...1-39eYT4rWcEkQ

Martin Park

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=16898...48221&t=m&z=17

Not to mention the larger and more well-known neighborhoods like Rosedale Park, Grandmont, University District, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village, etc

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I relocated to Metro Detroit from Laguna Beach, and lived in several areas of the country as well as abroad. So I think I can give a fair and objective assessment. The suburban areas of Wayne county seem flat and not all too attractive. However, Oakland country is very nice. There are many upscale communities and hills. Oakland county alone has 600 lakes and there are many pedestrian areas. Bloomfield Hills reminds me of the English countryside. The communities which surround Pine Lake, Orchard Lake, Cass Lake, Upper Straits, Union Lake, Commerce Lake, and the list goes on and on are all beautiful. I have not seen too many metropolitan areas which have such topography. Yes, there are but only a handful. So, I am at a loss when I read posts by people who say Metro Detroit is ugly.
There are forested, beautiful parts of Wayne County.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Wayne County is mostly flat, but the Grosse Pointes border Lake St. Clair, and the downriver suburbs border the lower Detroit River and Lake Erie. So they have grander water views and access to water. There is no equivalent of a Grosse Isle in Oakland County. Plus, Plymouth and Plymouth township has some hilliness and has a beautiful downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit