Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

We went and saw Phantom at the Detroit Opera House last night. Excellent. Nearly as good as the Broadway productionw e saw a few years ago. Some of the performers (Phantom especially) were better.

Also we had dinner at Wright & Company. Doubly awesome. Great food, great service, nice atmosphere. Expensive but my son sai it was the best "fancy place" meal he has ever had. (Of course he is only 16 so he has a limited number of comparison opportunities, but it was really really good.

The Opera House sure is a beautiful venue. I had not been there before to my memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
The Opera House almost met the wrecking ball in the late 1980s.

It was built in 1922, as a large, extravagant movie palace called the Capitol Theatre. It struggled as downtown Detroit declined, and became a rock venue in the early 80's but was left for dead by 1985. A history of the theatre can be read below:

Detroit Opera House

This is a great quote from the website

Quote:
It is a testament to the building’s original construction that, in 1988, David DiChiera, general director of the Michigan Opera Theatre, could survey the interior and see past the building’s cracking plaster, the large holes in the ceiling leaking water into the building, the debris-covered stairways, the flooded orchestra pit with a piano floating in it, and the rank moldy smell, and see the future permanent home of the opera troupe.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 AM

544 posts, read 901,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We went and saw Phantom at the Detroit Opera House last night. Excellent. Nearly as good as the Broadway productionw e saw a few years ago. Some of the performers (Phantom especially) were better.

Also we had dinner at Wright & Company. Doubly awesome. Great food, great service, nice atmosphere. Expensive but my son sai it was the best "fancy place" meal he has ever had. (Of course he is only 16 so he has a limited number of comparison opportunities, but it was really really good.

The Opera House sure is a beautiful venue. I had not been there before to my memory.
Good to hear. I have tickets for Saturday.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Good to hear. I have tickets for Saturday.
Enjoy.

If you get the chance, move closer to the stage. One of the two weaknesses in this production is that Christine while a beautiful voice is not a very powerful singer (the other issue is the viscount (her boyfriend) is not very good and has no chemistry with her. He flinches when she touches him.). However some of the others are so amazingly good, it makes up for the weak boyfriend guy.

One thing I learned from our group, it helps a lot if you already understand the story they are telling. If you are trying to figure out what is going on, you may not enjoy it as much. If you do nto know the show, you may want to read a synopsis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit