U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,941,009 times

Advertisements

Edit: I now realize this was shared in the other LED thread - if a moderator could merge this post with that thread that would probably be for the best and cut down redundancy - thanks!

Astronaut Shane Kimbrough took this photo yesterday morning from the International Space Station

And man does Detroit really shine! Compared to Cleveland, Toledo or Lansing the whole metro glows of a different hue, but when you really focus in on the metro you can see 8 Mile and Telegraph quite easily as the color changes from that bright sparkling glow to a more mixed luminescence in the suburbs. As far as hope and changing preconceptions of Detroit the lights were a big step in the right direction.

Now if we could see a year of population growth (100% reasonable for 2017) and bringing that murder rate further down in 2017, and ideally out of the top 5 (it was #3 in 2016), I think the public's opinion of Detroit would change in the mainstream, and not only in opinnuendo pieces from liberal news publications.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 01-18-2017 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM

12,637 posts, read 7,643,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Edit: I now realize this was shared in the other LED thread - if a moderator could merge this post with that thread that would probably be for the best and cut down redundancy - thanks!

Astronaut Shane Kimbrough took this photo yesterday morning from the International Space Station

And man does Detroit really shine! Compared to Cleveland, Toledo or Lansing the whole metro glows of a different hue, but when you really focus in on the metro you can see 8 Mile and Telegraph quite easily as the color changes from that bright sparkling glow to a more mixed luminescence in the suburbs. As far as hope and changing preconceptions of Detroit the lights were a big step in the right direction.

Now if we could see a year of population growth (100% reasonable for 2017) and bringing that murder rate further down in 2017, and ideally out of the top 5 (it was #3 in 2016), I think the public's opinion of Detroit would change in the mainstream, and not only in opinnuendo pieces from liberal news publications.
Windsor must have the same LED lights. Great pick. Blue Marble Navigator - Night Lights 2012 If you pan to the left on that site (to the USA), you can see the lights of metro areas. What caught my attention is how heavily populated the area is from Chicago-Milwaukee to Cleveland-Pittsburgh and the cities 100 miles north and south of interstate 80. The only place you will find a heavier concentration of people is Northeast and Southern California.

As far as crime....St Louise is crazy....Flint is probably right up their with St Louise....but since its population dropped below 100,000...it does not get attention any more.

About 7 or 8 years ago, after the census, I predicted that Detroit population would bottom out at 750,000 and start to rise after that......by the year 2017. Not far off the mark.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-18-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,470,655 times
^^ Yes, Windsor switched all its street lights to LED a couple of years ago.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,815,281 times
Damn I am a complete nerd when it comes to Detroit. I've been looking at this picture actually having fun trying to pinpoint which landmarks I can see on here lol. It's crazy how you can see the whole metro areas street grid from space. One thing that looks weird to me is most of Detroit proper looks green-ish. Idk anything about photography so maybe this is light distortion but it seems like the LED lights in Detroit is making the grass and trees more visible from space at night which would explain the green. Compare it to Cleveland where everything looks bright orange, it just looks like you can see alot more detail in Detroit because of the LED lights.

Anyway, great shot I love it. Also, I knew MI had alot of towns but judging by all of little those sparks of light between the bigger ones, Michigan has ALOT more little towns and cities than I thought it did. Most of them I'm sure I never heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit