U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,807,839 times

Advertisements

Welp, looks like Detroit will once again be looking a little busier and more functional than the year before with improvements to PT. Seems to me like Detroit's 24 hour routes and express/direct routes have been going well, because their adding 3 more 24/7 routes on Jefferson, Michigan, and Van Dyke. And adding 3 more express/direct routes. They are also expanding service on the 6 mile route and the greenfield route. And from the looks of it, they aren't making any cuts to any routes. This will be effective by January 28th.

They keep his up and they will be gaining Detroit's trust again. Especially since Detroit streets don't get so dark at night anymore so it's safer to catch the bus. This is a pretty big improvement from last year which was a big improvement from a year before. Stuff like this goes a long way, I know people who had to leave the city to move closer to work because the buses made cuts and could no longer get them to/from work anymore. Hopefully, a year from now (if I'm still here) I will be making another post like this for 2018 services as well.

Here is the link: http://detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/docs/...ce-changes.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 AM

14,551 posts, read 13,302,177 times
It's good to see them making incremental improvements instead of splurging on that RTA boondoggle.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It's good to see them making incremental improvements instead of splurging on that RTA boondoggle.
The RTA was going to incrementally add new routes as well, sir. The Woodward BRT lines was the earliest to be completed in 2022, and the Michigan Avenue would have been the latest, to be completed by 2026.

See page 156 of the below Master Plan to see how they planned to add other services incrementally

http://www.rtamichigan.org/wp-conten...-07-27_Web.pdf

This is great news. I wonder how all of this is being funded though. The Michigan bus line is really interesting, because it had pathetic bus service that ended at 11 pm even before the Nine 24-hour lines were cut in 2012. So it is interesting that 24-hour service is being provided for Michigan now, maybe because of the stability of much of southwest Detroit.

I have taken the new Joy Road Express Bus before, and the bus going to downtown is often 5 to 10 minutes late. But it is a good concept to get west siders to their jobs work downtown in faster way than the slow, plodding regular Joy Road bus.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,935,257 times
In retrospect, a collection of BRT lines doesn't excite me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still disappointed in the failure of RTA, but I probably wouldn't ride a BRT. A Woodward light rail really changes things, but the bus lobby has spread this rumor that light rail is incredibly expensive to build and operate, and it is if you construct an entire system of it, but if you use buses to funnel people to 2-3 light rail lines (such as Michigan/Woodward/Gratoit) it really isn't that bad, and honestly I'd happily pay $6-8 to right a train into Detroit - sure beats parking, maybe make a monthly pass cost the same as a parking pass at a structure, tickets would sell like crazy!

I believe had the proposal given an actual cosmetic upgrade to the current patchwork of mass transit system and not just presented itself as "SUM MOAR BUS LINEZ!" - it would've fared better.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:35 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
In retrospect, a collection of BRT lines doesn't excite me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still disappointed in the failure of RTA, but I probably wouldn't ride a BRT. A Woodward light rail really changes things, but the bus lobby has spread this rumor that light rail is incredibly expensive to build and operate, and it is if you construct an entire system of it, but if you use buses to funnel people to 2-3 light rail lines (such as Michigan/Woodward/Gratoit) it really isn't that bad, and honestly I'd happily pay $6-8 to right a train into Detroit - sure beats parking, maybe make a monthly pass cost the same as a parking pass at a structure, tickets would sell like crazy!

I believe had the proposal given an actual cosmetic upgrade to the current patchwork of mass transit system and not just presented itself as "SUM MOAR BUS LINEZ!" - it would've fared better.
The Michigan Legislature which created the RTA made sure it would be very difficult to bring rail transit, other than the Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter rail, to the voters for a vote. See below.

Quote:
"The RTA’s bylaws show a clear distinction, and, some say, preference to bus options over rail. The authority’s board needs a supermajority to ask voters to approve a tax that would fund future operations and capital costs for the BRT system.

But to construct or operate a rail line, such as the proposed M-1 streetcar line in downtown Detroit, which officials hope to eventually turn over to the RTA, the board requires a unanimous vote."
RTA's bylaws show a clear bias toward bus over rail | Local News | Detroit Metro Times

Because Oakland and Macomb are pretty much against expansion of transit and the cost of rapid transit, all it would take would be one of the 4 boardmembers that represent Oakland and Macomb to say no, and rail would be off the table.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,935,257 times
Well, then either the case needs to be made that light-rail is the way to go, or the by-laws need to be changed. Even I struggle a bit with a $200 annual tax increase for a transit system that puts us well behind small-sized cities like Salt Lake (where I paid < $100 annually for the light-rail transit system on my property taxes) or Richmond, VA.

The RTA proposal cost a lot, for too little return. I do hope they improve it over the next couple years and present something either far more broadly appealing, or equally disappointing, but at a significantly lower cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or