U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,790,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The City could certainly use a couple of tens of billions in infrastructure spending.
gentrification knows no bounds..nor cost apparently..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,460,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I feel that Detroit will be Trumps target city the next four years, for better or worse. President Trump pledges or proclamations about fixing the inner-cities and bringing jobs back to America, as well as making the statement that he will have 90 percent of the black vote by the next election.....makes Detroit the most likely candidate to say....."look at Detroit. Look at what I did for Detroit". (He just meet with auto execs....also)

Detroit's comeback is already well underway and most people in the nation do not know that. If he makes federal efforts or policies that help contribute to the acceleration of the comeback, he can then shine a light on Detroit to the nation, 4 years from now, showing a city full of new residential development, high rises and people....and take credit for it.

I am really apolitical. I am not an independent, democrat or republican. I hate those labels. You probably can find a little bit of me in all of those labels, but I self claim none. I have just noticed that Trump seems to have a focus on Michigan....certainly more than any other president that I have seen, ignoring the efforts to bail out the auto industry.

Not to mention that Gilbert is a supporter of Trump and a fellow Billionaire.
You make him sound like how Kasich took credit for what was going on in Ohio when he stepped into office.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 AM

12,540 posts, read 7,610,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You make him sound like how Kasich took credit for what was going on in Ohio when he stepped into office.
I think all Politicians do that. Show me a politician who will not take credit for good results that took place during his or her tenure....they have my vote the next time around.

What I am saying is that it is evident that trump is going to make an effort to do all the things he said he was going to to.....and thus far he is being true to that in regards to the build the wall, banning Muslims, starting the process of repealing the ACA (not that I am for or against or agree or disagree with any of that). I think whether they are good ideas or bad ideas.....I do believe he is going to try to do the things he said he would....and Detroit is the epitome of urban/black/industry problems he says he is going to fix.....and it already has momentum to that effect anyway (and most of the nation does not realize this) making it easy for him to take credit for it. Same with Duggan. I do not think Duggan is doing anything magical as Mayor. He is just in the right position at the right time.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,460,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think all Politicians do that. Show me a politician who will not take credit for good results that took place during his or her tenure....they have my vote the next time around.

What I am saying is that it is evident that trump is going to make an effort to do all the things he said he was going to to.....and thus far he is being true to that in regards to the build the wall, banning Muslims, starting the process of repealing the ACA (not that I am for or against or agree or disagree with any of that). I think whether they are good ideas or bad ideas.....I do believe he is going to try to do the things he said he would....and Detroit is the epitome of urban/black/industry problems he says he is going to fix.....and it already has momentum to that effect anyway (and most of the nation does not realize this) making it easy for him to take credit for it. Same with Duggan. I do not think Duggan is doing anything magical as Mayor. He is just in the right position at the right time.
I did not disagree with you nor suggest that was a bad way of looking at it. But, speaking to the issues that Trump campaigned on, a much better story for him to take credit on were if he could adjust what is happening on the streets of places like Chicago, or East St. Lous, Ferguson, etc. Detroit would be more of an economic story, so you would expect problems there. But, at least from where I'm sitting, there is an opportunity, in Chicago, to turn that city around similar to where NYC was back in the seventies. Because that is the type of situation Chicago is in. That is the type of thing Trump should take credit for, because that is what people consider to be a more relevant example of the type of issues that go on in inner cities today.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I did not disagree with you nor suggest that was a bad way of looking at it. But, speaking to the issues that Trump campaigned on, a much better story for him to take credit on were if he could adjust what is happening on the streets of places like Chicago, or East St. Lous, Ferguson, etc. Detroit would be more of an economic story, so you would expect problems there. But, at least from where I'm sitting, there is an opportunity, in Chicago, to turn that city around similar to where NYC was back in the seventies. Because that is the type of situation Chicago is in. That is the type of thing Trump should take credit for, because that is what people consider to be a more relevant example of the type of issues that go on in inner cities today.

Yeah....but there is no way in hell those places are going to be turned around in 4 years. The thing about Detroit is that the nation still has a 10 year old image of Detroit. In 4 years there will be a few billion dollars more worth of development finished in the city. All trump has do do is add a little to it via various policies and or infrastructure investment and then shine the spotlight on Detroit so that people have the the up to date image and it will look like all the change came under his leadership....and because of it.

Detroit is still a very high crime rate city....higher than Chicago.....and it is well known for crime as much as it is industry decline.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-06-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM

41 posts, read 25,599 times
The key is a tax free zone(s), or an economic zone, ala Kemp. Does anyone remember Jack Kemp? That's what the city of Detroit needs. And, yes, I do believe this administration, under the leadership of a businessman, is the one to effectuate policies which will bolster the rebound of a great industrial giant : Detroit.

Additionally, Dr. Carson, as head of a revitalized HUD will also do much to bring back the inner city neighborhoods (of course, jobs, from above, is the key there too).

Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,465,174 times
Duggan is by far the best mayor that Detroit has had in decades! I don't believe that Detroit would be anywhere near where it is today without him, and I don't think many people would have very much faith in the city without him at the helm!
I really doubt that "any" mayor would have been able to get so much done in so little time as him. Yes, he became mayor at a good time, but give credit where credit is due!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Duggan is by far the best mayor that Detroit has had in decades! I don't believe that Detroit would be anywhere near where it is today without him, and I don't think many people would have very much faith in the city without him at the helm!
I really doubt that "any" mayor would have been able to get so much done in so little time as him. Yes, he became mayor at a good time, but give credit where credit is due!
I would vote for him as the next mayor.....but he just came in when things were already rolling for the city. Duggan is doing what I said Trump will do.....taking credit for the improved times. It's easy to look good as Mayor when you have Billionaire investors pouring money into the city......and you are not strapped with legacy pension cost and old union contracts that always put the city in a whole budget wise. Duggan is not really doing anything......its the business leaders and restructured financial situation of the city, none of which has much to do with Duggan.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:51 AM

1,562 posts, read 539,305 times
The Rust Belt will start recovering after the car industry dies. Keeping it alive a few more years dug Detroit's hole a little bit deeper.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,465,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The Rust Belt will start recovering after the car industry dies. Keeping it alive a few more years dug Detroit's hole a little bit deeper.
"Keeping it alive"? That's ridiculous, the auto industry is thriving, and is much more hi tech than it used to be. Detroit is well on its way to recovering, and a healthy auto industry is one part of it's economy that's helping to fuel its growth!

Last edited by North 42; 03-05-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or