U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 AM

12,540 posts, read 7,610,323 times

Advertisements

I feel that Detroit will be Trumps target city the next four years, for better or worse. President Trump pledges or proclamations about fixing the inner-cities and bringing jobs back to America, as well as making the statement that he will have 90 percent of the black vote by the next election.....makes Detroit the most likely candidate to say....."look at Detroit. Look at what I did for Detroit". (He just meet with auto execs....also)

Detroit's comeback is already well underway and most people in the nation do not know that. If he makes federal efforts or policies that help contribute to the acceleration of the comeback, he can then shine a light on Detroit to the nation, 4 years from now, showing a city full of new residential development, high rises and people....and take credit for it.

I am really apolitical. I am not an independent, democrat or republican. I hate those labels. You probably can find a little bit of me in all of those labels, but I self claim none. I have just noticed that Trump seems to have a focus on Michigan....certainly more than any other president that I have seen, ignoring the efforts to bail out the auto industry.

Not to mention that Gilbert is a supporter of Trump and a fellow Billionaire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM

2,471 posts, read 1,765,453 times
Makes sense especially with our auto industry & typical rustbelt cities. This is what Trump promised to give back to during his campaign. Detroit will also be an easy target to uplift because we are already going upward motion. hopefully his policy change doesn't hinder us. It could go the wrong way

Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM

27,762 posts, read 65,634,564 times
The City could certainly use a couple of tens of billions in infrastructure spending.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM

12,540 posts, read 7,610,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Makes sense especially with our auto industry & typical rustbelt cities. This is what Trump promised to give back to during his campaign. Detroit will also be an easy target to uplift because we are already going upward motion. hopefully his policy change doesn't hinder us. It could go the wrong way
Maybe Trump's company will be behind one of those 10-15 new skyscrapers Gilbert mentioned. If I am not mistaken, as a side note, I think Trump even mentioned Detroit (not the auto industry metaphor) during his inauguration speech.

Detroit represents more than any other city....what Trump says he wants......I mean....is GOING to fix.....and if Detroit eventually gets seen as a booming turnaround.....he might just get reelected to another 4 years.....if not....then his policies or promises will be failures.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM

56 posts, read 41,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe Trump's company will be behind one of those 10-15 new skyscrapers Gilbert mentioned. If I am not mistaken, as a side note, I think Trump even mentioned Detroit (not the auto industry metaphor) during his inauguration speech.
He did but the context he used was that it could have been just about any other large American city. The important point is that it wasn't any other city, it was Detroit

"Whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the windswept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their hearts with the same dreams and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty creator,"
Source

Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,838,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I feel that Detroit will be Trumps target city the next four years, for better or worse. President Trump pledges or proclamations about fixing the inner-cities and bringing jobs back to America, as well as making the statement that he will have 90 percent of the black vote by the next election.....makes Detroit the most likely candidate to say....."look at Detroit. Look at what I did for Detroit". (He just meet with auto execs....also)

Detroit's comeback is already well underway and most people in the nation do not know that. If he makes federal efforts or policies that help contribute to the acceleration of the comeback, he can then shine a light on Detroit to the nation, 4 years from now, showing a city full of new residential development, high rises and people....and take credit for it.

I am really apolitical. I am not an independent, democrat or republican. I hate those labels. You probably can find a little bit of me in all of those labels, but I self claim none. I have just noticed that Trump seems to have a focus on Michigan....certainly more than any other president that I have seen, ignoring the efforts to bail out the auto industry.

Not to mention that Gilbert is a supporter of Trump and a fellow Billionaire.
In reality, he should feature Warren and Sterling Heights ... what won him the election!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,933,912 times
Detroit is going to be better in 2020 than it is in 2016, regardless of anything Trump does or says. The same as Detroit is better in 2016 than it was in 2012. Local economic diversification, state policies, and business interest in the city are the anchor of Detroit's revitalization. Trump may help (or hinder) things, but overall he'll play a minor part in a major change.

But you're right, he'll take credit regardless, then try to denounce and discredit anyone who says otherwise, because that's what a gas lighter does and Trump gaslights with the worst of them.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,806,363 times
A part of me doesn't even want Trump touching Detroit based on the history of how he does business. But, I guess Gilbert and Duggan could finesse Trump into sending Detroit alot of federal dollars or business or whatever by telling Trump
"Mr. Trump, this is a good political move, everybody knows Detroit's reputation but they don't know that Detroit is on the upswing right now, I already did the dirty work and took all the risk and it paid out well, all you need to do is throw some money at it and show up to a couple of grand opening events and watch the city come back even faster and then by reelection you can tell America that YOU made Detroit great again. Of course you don't give a damn about Detroit but I'm sure you won't have a problem fooling the public into thinking you do. You can even slap your name on top of one of the new skyscrapers to make people think that YOU took a chance on Detroit because you love it so much and you wanted to make it great again. We will also have a bowl of Cheeto dust waiting for you everytime you touch down in the D"

Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 AM

27,762 posts, read 65,634,564 times
If there is a boom, there is going to be a problem getting enough workers. Already there is a shortage of competent workers in the construction trades. If the Detroit boom becomes and explosion, it will be very difficult to get a project done in any reasonable time.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,933,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If there is a boom, there is going to be a problem getting enough workers. Already there is a shortage of competent workers in the construction trades. If the Detroit boom becomes and explosion, it will be very difficult to get a project done in any reasonable time.
Well, I mean, ideally that's when people start moving here. North Dakota grew from 670,000 to 760,000 people from 2010 to 2015, and it has wayyyy less to offer than Detroit. Significantly worse weather too. In fact, if I had to place my finger on the least desirable place to live in America, it would probably be Minot or Williston, North Dakota, (...or maybe Provo, Utah) but when those places were spilling over with available, well-paying work, people couldn't move there fast enough, just so they could freeze half-way to death while doing manual labor and smelling like hydrocarbons all day. I think we underestimate the human passion for $$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or