U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 04:17 AM

17 posts, read 21,186 times

Advertisements

I'm a white female in my late 20's. have lived on the east side of Detroit for 2 years now. Lived very close to Denby High school and close to Gratiot ave. ( that general area, lived on Mayfield st near Gratiot.

Words can't describe how much of a ride its been. Yes I do enjoy living here, yes it does get scary, and yes people call me crazy for living in an environment like this. But I've learned so much. before I start, I grew up in a rich suburban all white area back in Louisville, KY area ( Indian hills, KY). It was eye opening to move here. I could of chosen nicer area in the metro to live in and commute to my job, but I chose to live in the city limits of Detroit to do something different.
While living here for the last couple years, my life has been pretty colorful nd eventful. I hear occasional gun shots, there are a lot of prostitutes and "blow" houses ( not exaggerating). When I drive down a lot of roads, I notice a lot of stolen cars( I know this because there parked by abandoned house and sometimes their ignition is punched out. ) its gets rather grim here.
But I just say though, I have made some very very close friends in the neighborhood. were all what's left in our little area. so were very tight knit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:45 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
Do you live close to 7 mile and Graitot? That's one of the roughest areas of Detroit right there. Not as bad as people make it out to be (or as it looks) but still pretty rough. But I'm glad u are comfortable there for the most part, if your doing fine there then you would do fine in any other part of the city or metro area tbh.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Do you live close to 7 mile and Graitot? That's one of the roughest areas of Detroit right there. Not as bad as people make it out to be (or as it looks) but still pretty rough. But I'm glad u are comfortable there for the most part, if your doing fine there then you would do fine in any other part of the city or metro area tbh.
Yes! I do live near there! kind of right behind Assumption Grotto church! ( if you know what I'm talking about lol). i live like 15 streets south of 7 mile. And to be honest, i had no idea it was one of the roughest parts of Detroit ( crime rate wise that is). I mean, i knew it struggled with higher blight problems then most of the city. but still, i'm comfortable here. people think I'm crazy for living here, but you know it's whatever.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 AM

6,794 posts, read 14,231,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle1995 View Post
I'm a white female in my late 20's. have lived on the east side of Detroit for 2 years now. Lived very close to Denby High school and close to Gratiot ave. ( that general area, lived on Mayfield st near Gratiot.

Words can't describe how much of a ride its been. Yes I do enjoy living here, yes it does get scary, and yes people call me crazy for living in an environment like this. But I've learned so much. before I start, I grew up in a rich suburban all white area back in Louisville, KY area ( Indian hills, KY). It was eye opening to move here. I could of chosen nicer area in the metro to live in and commute to my job, but I chose to live in the city limits of Detroit to do something different.
While living here for the last couple years, my life has been pretty colorful nd eventful. I hear occasional gun shots, there are a lot of prostitutes and "blow" houses ( not exaggerating). When I drive down a lot of roads, I notice a lot of stolen cars( I know this because there parked by abandoned house and sometimes their ignition is punched out. ) its gets rather grim here.
But I just say though, I have made some very very close friends in the neighborhood. were all what's left in our little area. so were very tight knit.
Why in the heck would you move from Louisville to there? Especially from Indian Hills????

Old 02-05-2017, 02:17 AM

9,936 posts, read 16,545,479 times
May I ask a few personal questions?

Are you white or black?

About how much is your monthly house payment, or if you paid cash, how much was the purchase?

Do you keep weapons in your home/on your person, such as guns, etc?
Do you have a dog, alarm system?

I just ask out of curiosity. I used to live on the East Side, around Mack/Chalmers. When I left we had guns, dogs, alarms, etc......but now I live in a nice community in Round Rock, TX, and we have guns, dogs, alarms....

Old 02-05-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why in the heck would you move from Louisville to there? Especially from Indian Hills????
I guess my tastes for things are different. I don't know, I have always been intrigued by Detroit. And like I said, I didn't own the house I lived in Indian hills, because I was raised there ( lived there from ages 11-18) before going to college and graduating from college. yeah yeah I know, people always told me it would be a bad decision or that I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I mean, I know it's a rough environment, but this is what I chose.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Are you white or black?

About how much is your monthly house payment, or if you paid cash, how much was the purchase?

I just ask out of curiosity. I used to live on the East Side, around Mack/Chalmers. When I left we had guns, dogs, alarms, etc......but now I live in a nice community in Round Rock, TX, and we have guns, dogs, alarms....
1. I'm white ( specifically of French, Italian, and Ashkenazi Jew descent. I have red hair, so yes I stick out like a sore thumb amongst people in my area.
2. my down payment was around in the $4,000 area.( around like 25%) Monthly is in $60 area( yeah I know what your thinking, don't kill me)
the purchase was in the $19,000 area( not gonna get too specific, I like to keep my purchases sort of private)

3. Yes I keep weapons, on person and locked up in my house. I have 2 guns. I have an alarm system. and no I don't have any pets( I wish though.)

Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Are you white or black?

Also, when did you live around mack and Chalmers? was it still rough there when you lived there? did you have a good experience there? did you have any crazy stories about living there?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 AM

12,486 posts, read 7,585,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle1995 View Post
I guess my tastes for things are different. I don't know, I have always been intrigued by Detroit. And like I said, I didn't own the house I lived in Indian hills, because I was raised there ( lived there from ages 11-18) before going to college and graduating from college. yeah yeah I know, people always told me it would be a bad decision or that I had no clue what I was getting myself into. I mean, I know it's a rough environment, but this is what I chose.
You "have lived" (meaning you are currently living there) or you "lived" there (past tense). You used both constructs in your first paragraph....so I am just seeking clarification.

Good to see the city getting new residents, however, your choice of neighborhood is perplexing. There are plenty of safer neighborhoods that you could have moved to. Was it the low cost that attracted you? Did you move to the Detroit area by choice via looking for jobs online or did just a good opportunity become available to you locally without you aiming for Detroit? Are you an "adventure seeker"? Have you made "relationships" with people that help protect you and your home when you are and are not there?

Other than saying you hear gun shots, you were not very specific with your experiences. Gun shots are not uncommon in many neighborhoods, they are not unique to the red zone. The 9th precinct is probably the most violent in the city....but there are "pockets" of the area that are not all that bad. A bad area does not always mean that every block in that area is that bad.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You "have lived" (meaning you are currently living there) or you "lived" there (past tense). You used both constructs in your first paragraph....so I am just seeking clarification.

Good to see the city getting new residents, however, your choice of neighborhood is perplexing. There are plenty of safer neighborhoods that you could have moved to. Was it the low cost that attracted you? Did you move to the Detroit area by choice via looking for jobs online or did just a good opportunity become available to you locally without you aiming for Detroit? Are you an "adventure seeker"? Have you made "relationships" with people that help protect you and your home when you are and are not there?

Other than saying you hear gun shots, you were not very specific with your experiences. Gun shots are not uncommon in many neighborhoods, they are not unique to the red zone. The 9th precinct is probably the most violent in the city....but there are "pockets" of the area that are not all that bad. A bad area does not always mean that every block in that area is that bad.
oh, sorry about the first paragraph confusion. I chose this neighborhood because I like to live in rougher neighborhoods, ( sort of an adventure seeker you can say). Yes I have made relationships( close friends) with some of the neighbors. a lot of houses around me and my neighbors are abandoned. one of my neighbors in an elderly women. She says she refuses top leave her neighborhood because she has been there for along time. She's one of those types of people to fight back for a neighborhood( if that makes sense.) So because of this we have each other's back, she has a gun also. she's told me before that she has had to threaten robbers out of her house before while they were breaking in.
Also, out of curiosity, what is the 9th precinct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit