U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,610,037 times

Advertisements

Formal bid for Major League Soccer expansion team in Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM

56 posts, read 41,213 times
It could happen. I'm hoping that it does but it wouldn't not surprise me if it fell through either.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 AM

27,762 posts, read 65,624,571 times
If they really get an equal jail, juvi and court complex for $300 million is really is a great deal.

I would expect the jail will overrun the $300 million all by itself. The rest of the buildings are a mess and need considerable re-work.

A complex designed and laid out for the purpose is going to work better security wise and should save the county money. One of the big issues with the Jail/court complex is security for transporting the inmates between court and the jail without them getting killed. If a complex is designed for this purpose rather than trying to utilize buildings located based on available lots when the buildings were built, can provide a far better solution than even the proposed jail.

They may have to give up on some of the "built a Monument" Taj Mahal features they wanted in the new jail (like vacuum flush toilets), but they will likely end up with a better planned complex for a fixed price that is below what their costs will be.

IF Dan Gilbert is agreeing to absorb an extra $120 million in costs, he knows already how he will make that moeny up. Part might be the County giving him the land the other buildings are on now. Part may be already identified cost reductions that can be implemented. Maybe he can get a tax destitution or something. There will be something there. Gilbert is not going to donate $120 million to the county just to be a nice guy, especially not for a jail and criminal justice complex.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:13 AM

384 posts, read 288,451 times
I'm not sure how or why pro soccer would be a Detroit thing, when Detroit seem to lack Hispanics. I've been wondering about this lately. I wonder why Chicago has a huge Hispanic population but not Detroit? Was Detroit not an attractive option?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 AM

1,189 posts, read 855,244 times
Southwest Detroit is almost entirely Hispanic and further out Michigan Ave, Dearborn is almost entirely Arabic which could also be a good fanbase.

Location makes sense

Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,296,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I'm not sure how or why pro soccer would be a Detroit thing, when Detroit seem to lack Hispanics. I've been wondering about this lately. I wonder why Chicago has a huge Hispanic population but not Detroit? Was Detroit not an attractive option?
Please be aware that the Detroit area has probably between 300,000 and 400,000 people of Middle Eastern descent. Soccer is big in the Middle East. Plus the nearby city of Ann Arbor, just 45 minutes away, has a large international population, and people there seem to like soccer a lot as evidenced by the Manchester United vs Real Madrid game that drew 109,000 in 2014.

Lastly, neighboring Windsor is very diverse, and has a large contingent of people from the Middle East and Asia. People in Windsor are adamant supporters and patrons of all Detroit sports teams (except the Pistons because they play in Auburn Hills). Overall, the Detroit-Flint-Ann Arbor-Windsor region has 5.6 million people, which is plenty to fill 17 games at a 20,000 seat stadium.

Lastly, there is a sizeable passionate base of soccer fans here, see the Detroit City FC.

source Detroit Free Press

Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 PM

2,471 posts, read 1,765,453 times
Soccer is international sport. Everyone with a link outside of USA has some interest in Soccer from what I notice, whether European to Asian to Latino & African. So I understand the soccer interest. I also don't see the logic behind having jail in downtown. Who does that?

But at same time, don't we have enough stadium. I am not into sports & don't understand everything, so this might be a dumb question but why can't we haven't soccer in one of the existing stadium.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:39 PM

12,538 posts, read 7,606,780 times
I think more and more cities have to become attractive to "international" people. If you want to be able to attract the best and the brightest to come work and live in your metro, you are increasingly trying to attract people with international backgrounds. Just look at the demographics of grad schools. International students saturate Grade Schools at many prestigious universities and hence are many of the best and brightest that companies are trying to woo. Given that soccer is the #1 sport internationally......it just makes sense for Detroit to position itself with a pro team. A company has to increasingly sell the the city, to a prospect, as well as, the company. That is why these corporate heads are investing in Detroit.....its not altruism.....maybe a little bit of hometown emotions....but its just good for their businesses in the long run.

In light of that, I think people should look at the big picture. There are about 10 million people in a 100 mile radius. If you cannot find soccer fans from 10 million people.....then you cannot find them in much smaller metro areas competing for the 4 spots.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 19,050 times
Also, let's not forget many suburban American millennials (and younger) grew up playing soccer throughout childhood - teen years.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,352,019 times
I am a small soccer fan. My daughter played 8-10 years from the early 90's through 2000. Because of her I even got my FIFA referee license once upon a time although I never worked anything higher than U-14.

But I am not convinced soccer will ever be very big here. Just look at Detroit City FC and AFC Ann Arbor. They both play at high school fields and while I don't know Detroit's attendance I know Ann Arbor mostly played to a half empty Pioneer stadium with a 5,000 seat capacity. I am not at all convinced there is some pent up demand for soccer fueled by immigrants and millennials. If there was why don't the local teams play in bigger stadiums to sell out crowds?
The 100,000 plus that saw soccer at the Big House wasn't so much a demand for soccer as a demand for an "event"...especially one where you could drink beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit