Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:52 AM

420 posts, read 469,303 times

Advertisements

I see houses for sale in Dearborn and Hamtramck but are actually in Detroit's State-Nolan section. I've been to that section and it looked a bit grimy, so I'm curious what sections of Detroit are actually worth looking into and what price of house should one pay that's considered move-in ready? In Baltimore, something that's move-in ready was said to be priced at $80K or close. I wonder what is Detroit's move-in ready price for a house in a liveable neighborhood?

For whatever reason, I do miss Detroit's international vibe where international people tend to act like one and not trying to hide their true background. I've seen some real ethnic restaurants in Detroit! They flaunt it (cause they can't really hide it, it's who they are LOL). Compared to Baltimore; foreigners here tend to act like one (i.e. they are not as comfortable being one as compared to the ones in Detroit). It's like NYC of the Midwest, a lot better than Chicago too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
$70K is usually a good starting point for a typical ranch, bungalow, or colonial style house. If it's a pretty decent neighborhood (like University or Bagley), then you're looking at $100K+. Anything above $200K is usually a mansion/historical/custom built or new construction.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I see houses for sale in Dearborn and Hamtramck but are actually in Detroit's State-Nolan section. I've been to that section and it looked a bit grimy, so I'm curious what sections of Detroit are actually worth looking into and what price of house should one pay that's considered move-in ready? In Baltimore, something that's move-in ready was said to be priced at $80K or close. I wonder what is Detroit's move-in ready price for a house in a liveable neighborhood?

For whatever reason, I do miss Detroit's international vibe where international people tend to act like one and not trying to hide their true background. I've seen some real ethnic restaurants in Detroit! They flaunt it (cause they can't really hide it, it's who they are LOL). Compared to Baltimore; foreigners here tend to act like one (i.e. they are not as comfortable being one as compared to the ones in Detroit). It's like NYC of the Midwest, a lot better than Chicago too!
WEST SIDE:
Rosedale Park/North Rosedale Park/Grandmont/Grandmont #1
Grandmont Rosedale Neighborhoods

EAST SIDE:
The Villages
The Villages of Detroit

East English Village
East English Village, a Detroit neighborhood of choice

NORTH CENTRAL
Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest/University District/Green Acres/Bagley/Martin Park
University District
Avenue of Fashion

CENTRAL
Woodbridge - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodb...08138369214092
Corktown - 5 Spots to Hit in Corktown, Detroit's Coolest Nabe | Bon Appetit
The New Center Area - http://downtowndetroit.org/live-here...es/new-center/
Lafayette Park (if you want to buy a condo) - Mies Detroit

SOUTHWEST
Mexicantown/Hubbard Farms - Hubbard Farms | LIVE Detroit

-You could get a nice-sized home in Bagley, and small homes in Rosedale Park or Mexicantown for $80,000. Otherwise, you are going be paying more to live in the above neighborhoods.

-Here is a nice house in Bagley for $68,000
18232 Santa Rosa, Detroit MI 48221 - MLS# 217007641

Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks usroute10!

I just felt that Detroit feels more urban than Baltimore is, in both culture and vibe. Baltimore seem to have that slow-poke Hillbillyness about it due to the proximity to the Appalachia...and the District!

Does Detroit actually have "ethnic" neighborhoods like Greektown or Little Italy or Chinatown or is this in the suburbs like Dearborn or Hamtramck?

Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
Thanks usroute10!

I just felt that Detroit feels more urban than Baltimore is, in both culture and vibe. Baltimore seem to have that slow-poke Hillbillyness about it due to the proximity to the Appalachia...and the District!

Does Detroit actually have "ethnic" neighborhoods like Greektown or Little Italy or Chinatown or is this in the suburbs like Dearborn or Hamtramck?
The Detroit area's Little Italy and Chinatown are actually in Windsor. "Via Italia" is the Little Italy, it's on Erie St. E, just outside of DT Windsor, it has dozens of award winning restaurants, cafe's and shops.

Chinatown is along Wyandotte St, W. Down by the University of Windsor.

On Wyandotte St. E. you'll find the main commercial area of the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean population of Windsor, again with dozens of restaurants, shops and cafe's along a ten block stretch, it's a very international, vibrant area.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Thanks usroute10!

North 42, is right! Windsor is very international. Somewhere I read that Windsor is the 4th most diverse city in Canada (but I don't know how you measure diversity??)

Detroit has 1.5 ethnic neighborhoods.
-The one is Mexicantown, which comprises about 1/2 of Southwest Detroit.
-The other sort of ethnic area is the neighborhood of Warrendale adjacent to Dearborn. The Muslim Arab population of Dearborn is spilling over into the eastern section of Warrendale, and the main commercial strip, Warren Avenue, has an increasing number of Middle Eastern businesses (notice the Arabic on the storefronts and the small mosque to the right).

Detroit had another ethnic neighborhood called Chaldeantown, with a somewhat vibrant commercial district along 7 Mile between Woodward and John R, but the crime eventually chased them away (Chaldeans are a Middle Eastern ethnic group who are of the Catholic Faith). You can see the remnants of the commercial strip here.

Also, in the '90s the east side of Detroit had a small, growing population of Hmong refugees from the country of Laos, but the crime and the emergence of Minneapolis as the center for Hmong refugees led to the demise of that population.

I don't think Baltimore is any less urban than Detroit, though.

Last edited by usroute10; 03-06-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 12:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
North 42, is right! Windsor is very international. Somewhere I read that Windsor is the 4th most diverse city in Canada (but I don't know how you measure diversity??)

Detroit has 1.5 ethnic neighborhoods.
-The one is Mexicantown, which comprises about 1/2 of Southwest Detroit.
-The other sort of ethnic area is the neighborhood of Warrendale adjacent to Dearborn. The Muslim Arab population of Dearborn is spilling over into the eastern section of Warrendale, and the main commercial strip, Warren Avenue, has an increasing number of Middle Eastern businesses (notice the Arabic on the storefronts and the small mosque to the right).

Detroit had another ethnic neighborhood called Chaldeantown, with a somewhat vibrant commercial district along 7 Mile between Woodward and John R, but the crime eventually chased them away (Chaldeans are a Middle Eastern ethnic group who are of the Catholic Faith). You can see the remnants of the commercial strip here.

Also, in the '90s the east side of Detroit had a small, growing population of Hmong refugees from the country of Laos, but the crime and the emergence of Minneapolis as the center for Hmong refugees led to the demise of that population.

I don't think Baltimore is any less urban than Detroit, though.
Actually the entire SW Detroit is diverse. From Mexicantown to Springwells to Michigan- Martin the diversity is very apparent in all of those neighborhoods. I would also like to add of course downtown and Midtown (where WSU is). and Hamtramack is very unique and diverse as well.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM

I also noticed that Detroit's "diversity" seem to be concentrated just outside of Detroit not in the city. I looked at the demographics of Detroit and it's still 80% Black. I noticed the diverse crowd at Belle Isle in Detroit but they all come from Canada! Their cars had the Canadian tags! There's just no way Detroit would have the diversity of Chicago. Just saying.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
I also noticed that Detroit's "diversity" seem to be concentrated just outside of Detroit not in the city. I looked at the demographics of Detroit and it's still 80% Black. I noticed the diverse crowd at Belle Isle in Detroit but they all come from Canada! Their cars had the Canadian tags! There's just no way Detroit would have the diversity of Chicago. Just saying.
Uhh I don't think anybody said the city of Detroit itself is that diverse but yeah the metro area is. But there are neighborhoods within the city that are diverse. By next census Detroit will probably be closer to 70% (or maybe a little less) black. Which is not really a good or bad thing.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I have always seen Detroit metro as very non-diverse. Instead it is very segregated. Blacks in certain cities, middle easterners in Dearborn. Hispanic in the Mexican Villiage, Chaldeans in (I forget), Koreans in certain parts of West Bloomfield; Indians in Canton and Novi; etc. There are a few suburbs that are fairly mixed (Ferndale, Ecorse, to some extent Novi). But for the most part it seems unusually segregated here to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit