U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM

22 posts, read 16,734 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Detroit area, and I am moving back to MI this summer. I am in Florida now (I hate it, but that is another story). I lived in southern NH for 13 years and I miss it (and Boston). I spent a lot of time deciding whether to move back to New England or Michigan. Michigan won out due to family and cost of living. When I first moved to New England, it was culture shock. I am sure it will be the same for you initially. Detroit and Boston have drastic differences. There are positives and negatives with both. I find people in Michigan warm up to "outsiders" a lot quicker than those in the Boston area.

Coldjensens was spot on with his (he right?) post. The only thing I have to add is I think Michigan winters are a little more mild than those in New England. However, the trade off is the lack of sun! Actually, I do have one more comment. Plan on exploring Michigan. It is quite scenic and beautiful, but admittedly it is still hard to beat New England in that aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,263,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Initially looking apartment close to work with parking. Eventually hoping to buy a small ranch home outside the city. Rent -max $1,000. Purchase price of eventual home $125,000. Near grocery stores, shopping, fitness, hospital.

Am single male 53 yrs.
$1,000 won't get you a whole lot in the desirable areas of the city. Usually it's something on the crappier side if you do. Much of the city actually has apartments that are half that rent, but most are pretty rough areas; gangs, drugs, vacant homes, no stores (other than liquor stores), etc. There are some areas with diamonds in the rough, but it's again, it's likely any renovated or restored properties will be towards the top of your budget.

It's a bit easier to find a place in the suburbs since there's more good areas than bad and there's pretty much a strip mall along every major road. Redford, Ferndale, Eastpointe, Roseville and Warren would have the greatest supply of rentals. Crime is moderate in these areas but generally easily avoided with basic security precautions (house alarm, car alarms, etc). I lived in Eastpointe and the police were pretty responsive if you needed them.

There are other suburbs with rentals under $1,000 but they're generally scattered all over and at that point it just depends on how long you want your commute to be. The only major suburbs I'd say to avoid are Inkster or Pontiac which fall towards the higher side of crime rates.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,159,951 times
Coldjensens: you've got a really good start to a "Detroit for Dummies" book here. Loved reading your response. It's pretty spot-on! Thanks!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Oh for driving:

Google Michigan left. Study and understand it. It is not stupid, it is safer and makes traffic flow better. Other states are beginning to copy it. Of course they do not call it the Michigan left. Nobody seems to want to give Michigan credit for anything positive, least of all Michiganders.

You cannot turn left at an intersection set up for a Michigan left. By the way, you can turn left on red if you are going onto a one way street or side, and it is clear. You can turn right on red if it is clear and not posted otherwise. You cannot u turn anywhere legally. (Excluding using the median crossovers to turn around - which is fine, that is what they are for).

Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,608,028 times
I would recommend Woodhaven or Trenton for the price point you want. Safe blue collar nice homes and shopping, and not too far from the City.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 PM

352 posts, read 218,698 times
LOL....would have no trouble adjusting...thanks for some great points!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I would recommend Woodhaven or Trenton for the price point you want. Safe blue collar nice homes and shopping, and not too far from the City.
Downriver, without kids, I would suggest Wyandotte. They have one of the few real downtowns you will find. There are condos ont he water that are pretty affordable. Wyandotte schools are not quite as good as Woodhaven or Trenton, but otherwise, it is a more exciting place to be. Of course, if you are not walking distance you downtown, you may as well living in one of the surrounding communities.

Trenton and Woodhaven are the nicest, but many areas of Brownstown, Riverview, and even Southgate are very nice.

For the next two year, Downriver is somewhat less appealing because getting back from Detroit can be a chore. During peak traffic, there is no good way to get there.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,506,489 times
Enjoyed reading this thread! Went the opposite direction when I was a kid.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 AM

514 posts, read 612,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Quicken Loans?

Wayne County is hiring a whole lot of people right now.
Quicken Loans is a dystopian nightmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or