U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Interesting. I, on the other hand, oppose taxpayer funding of private and religious schools--of whatever kind. They're part of the dumbing down of America. There are simply too many "alternative facts" being presented as gospel (literally).
What? No. See the local parks are fine for some, but they're not for my kids and I. I prefer the private country club, but I don't really want to pay for the membership - I'd rather have my membership subsidized by the community's tax dollars so I can take my family to the privately owned country club rather than the neighborhood park and as my part of the bargain I won't step foot in any public spaces, and this makes sense because school of choice, sorry, I mean recreation of choice is a thing.

That was sarcasm.. , but on a more serious note - yes. Religious schools of any kind replacing public schools is unacceptable as it creates a world where dogma becomes an acceptable substitute for observation. I understand this is not something new, but it does seem to be more prevalent today than when I was in school. I too have a major problem with anyone's orders to kill, mistreat, or ostracize Atheists, gays, women, etc - regardless of what flavor of dogma is teaching this, especially when public tax dollars are used to subsidize this kind of direction while traditional schools, based on things which can actually be observed, become out-dated and under-funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:42 AM

7,100 posts, read 8,679,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
What? No. See the local parks are fine for some, but they're not for my kids and I. I prefer the private country club, but I don't really want to pay for the membership - I'd rather have my membership subsidized by the community's tax dollars so I can take my family to the privately owned country club rather than the neighborhood park and as my part of the bargain I won't step foot in any public spaces, and this makes sense because school of choice, sorry, I mean recreation of choice is a thing.
That's a good analogy.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM

14,538 posts, read 13,262,767 times
Every child would receive the same amount. It's not like you would get $10,000 to send your child to a public school and $20,000 to send your child to a private school.

And public schools are capable of teaching alternate facts and are more responsible for the dumbing down of America than private schools.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:35 AM
Yac

6,017 posts, read 6,733,665 times
As the thread continues, remember this is not the politics forum. We all have opinions on various topics, like for example Muslim extremists, but there's a time and place for everything and the way c-d works, the politics forum is the place for discussions like this.
Don't say you weren't warned if you continue
Yac.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:23 PM

It appears that a few residents of Sterling Heights are now suing the city for ignoring the objections of the residents with the claim that the worship site still doesn't meet city planning requirements

Sterling Heights sued over mosque case settlement

Personally I have no problem with this. If city residents want to be actively engaged in the community, that's great, and as I've said before I treat all religious institutions with equal distrust. I only hope the community would act the same way were this a large Christian church going in its place.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM

14,538 posts, read 13,262,767 times
Hopefully Barbara McQuade's forced resignation will put an end to the federal government's interference in local democracy.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I only hope the community would act the same way were this a large Christian church going in its place.

Since this country was founded on Christian principles, I would hope not.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM

7,100 posts, read 8,679,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyplease View Post
Since this country was founded on Christian principles, I would hope not.
Nancy, please.

The prevalence of "alternative facts" does not bode well for our future.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Nancy, please.

The prevalence of "alternative facts" does not bode well for our future.

Hi-jack ,

I feel the trend is being reversed.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Technically the only two mentions of religion in the constitution are:

"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
and
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..."

which do kind of go against what I'm saying, as I would be happy to see laws against the further establishment of religion, but they most certainly refute the statement of our nation being founded on Christian principles. Plus then you get into the whole no-true-scotsman thing of "What's a Christian principle?" - and this isn't the topic for that discussion, so instead I'd like to ask what your thoughts are on a mosque in Sterling Heights. Does it go against municipal code as the people taking the city to court suggest, or does it fall under the protections of the constitution for freedom of religion?

Whether or not I agree with it, and for the record I do strongly disagree with Islam, I still believe from a legal standpoint it falls under freedom of religion. Maybe the constitution is less applicable in 2017 than it was in 1787 and parts of it could be revisited, rewritten, or abandoned altogether, but as it stands now they should be permitted their mosque, by law, assuming they comply with municipal building codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit