U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,071,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith
Wait, wait...you want to raise tilapia in your house, too?! Might take a wee bit of extra investment there, don't you think?

You balk, but yes, I do think. Absolutely a wee bit. Some tanks, trays, pumps, tubing, lights. A lot of it you can do on the cheap. For instance, there are people who repurpose old fiberglass bathtubs to use as fish tanks. I'm sure there's no shortage of things like that in Detroit. There's one company that estimates you can produces 1,100 vegetables and 400 pounds of fish annually in a 10′ x 20′ area. After the initial set-up, there's little additional expense. How much do you think you'd have to spend every year to buy 1,1000 pounds of fresh organic vegetables and 400 pounds of fish?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The hydraulic systems necessary to carry this out will be complex. Again, best wishes, and I hope this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 AM

148 posts, read 216,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith
Wait, wait...you want to raise tilapia in your house, too?! Might take a wee bit of extra investment there, don't you think?

You balk, but yes, I do think. Absolutely a wee bit. Some tanks, trays, pumps, tubing, lights. A lot of it you can do on the cheap. For instance, there are people who repurpose old fiberglass bathtubs to use as fish tanks. I'm sure there's no shortage of things like that in Detroit. There's one company that estimates you can produces 1,100 vegetables and 400 pounds of fish annually in a 10′ x 20′ area. After the initial set-up, there's little additional expense. How much do you think you'd have to spend every year to buy 1,1000 pounds of fresh organic vegetables and 400 pounds of fish?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The hydraulic systems necessary to carry this out will be complex. Again, best wishes, and I hope this works.
I don't know what your experience with aquaponics is, but I've done extensive research into it. You mostly need some pumps (aquarium or pond, not expensive), lights, heating mats, a fan, some sort of foodsafe holding tanks for the fish, some tubing and misc. hardware, growing medium, etc.

I've never read anything about people needing hydraulics in a home aquaponic system.

But please share if you have some advanced knowledge of it that I do not.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:34 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,071,149 times
If the resident expert cares to advise you, you will get additional feedback later, and I can pass it on via a private message. Offhand, it doesn't sound like you are in need (want) of input though, as you have already committed to the concept. Again, I hope this works for you.

Last edited by mgkeith; 03-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: clarify meaning

Old 03-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
-This can be done. Like others suggested, in the Southwest Detroit/Mexicantown area, you would fit right in. Very diverse, with confluence of white, black, Mexican, and Arabs. You could find a house with a vacant lot adjacent to it. I have never heard of people stealing fences like ColdJensens suggested.

-Another diverse neighborhood, without the heavy Mexican influence, would be Warrendale, I would look into the rectangle bounded by Greenfield and Southfield, and Tireman and Ford Road.

-ColdJensen's suggestion of Old Redford is a great idea. His Google Maps suggestion of the Brightmoor neighborhood - maybe not so much, the neighborhood is very blighted and abandoned.

-The "Go East and...and become homeless" guy moved into the most violent, crime ridden neighborhood on the east side. The house he bought cost like $2,000 and was not in livable condition. We are not suggesting moving to one of the most dangerous zip codes in the country.
Thank you for the advice, I will add these areas to our list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I plan to try growing PAwPAws but I want to taste one first.
That would be a good idea

Quote:
I do not know whether they still steal fences, but a few years ago it was somewhat common. Either cut pieces out or just hook up a chain and tear out big chunks and take it to eh recycling center. When the Chinese demand ran scrap prices up really high, everything was a target.
We had people in Jacksonville stealing manhole covers and funerary urns off of graves, so fences I can absolutely believe.

Quote:
The house i saw in old Redford was perfect. I wish I could find it again. IT was on an awesome street and there was a huge plot of empty just behind it. It was the only house on that side of the street. It was a 1920s craftsman style house the inside was nicely kept up with lots of hardwood and stained glass.
Sounds NICE, if you happen across it, please let me know.

Quote:
I heard the mayor on the radio last night. If you own a house with a city owned vacant lot next door, you get to buy that lot for $100. So, if you could find a house with city lots on either side, for $200, you could have plenty of room for your minifarm.
This makes me want to drop everything and come there right now! We were going to visit in June and just drive around for a couple weeks and stay in our van. Now I think we should do it sooner!

Quote:
If you have 4-6 chickens you will be giving away eggs. Or you could get some pullets. We never did that, I do not want to kill them.
My dream is to be able to provide enough food for ourselves and have a little extra to give away or barter. You can do that easily with an extra lot. No pullets though, I don't want to kill them either

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
If the resident expert cares to advise you, you will get additional feedback later, and I can pass it on via a private message. Offhand, it doesn't sound like you are in need of input though. Again, I hope this works for you.
Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm always open to advice.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:52 AM

384 posts, read 287,619 times
Been curious about a move to Detroit as well (if not Hamtramck or Dearborn). I'm tired of Baltimore. I'm curious if the 48212 zip code is OK?

How's these streets:

Halleck, Flemming, Klinger, Burnside, MacKay, Carpenter?

Are these more in the Hamtramck area and not Dearborn?

Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,345,492 times
I guess everyone's experiences are different. The people who I know personally who have lived in Detroit neighborhoods outside of downtown high rises have all, or vitually all, dealt with break-ins or worse.

I would take the advice on here with a grain of salt.

Knowing vaguely about relative crime rates in neighborhoods is one thing -- living there is another.

I do not think you can move into a $30k house in the city of Detroit with a reasonable expectation of safety.

And why, anyway?

You could find a very very cheap house, if not that cheap, in any number if run down suburbs where your safety would be virtually guaranteed...in Detroit, the Midwest and probably across the country.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:29 PM

1,189 posts, read 853,624 times
c'mon jonny...!

(just kidding!)

Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I guess everyone's experiences are different. The people who I know personally who have lived in Detroit neighborhoods outside of downtown high rises have all, or vitually all, dealt with break-ins or worse.

I would take the advice on here with a grain of salt.

Knowing vaguely about relative crime rates in neighborhoods is one thing -- living there is another.

I do not think you can move into a $30k house in the city of Detroit with a reasonable expectation of safety.

And why, anyway?

You could find a very very cheap house, if not that cheap, in any number if run down suburbs where your safety would be virtually guaranteed...in Detroit, the Midwest and probably across the country.
Wisdom from the watercooler circle.

Do you know what percentage of people in Detroit are impacted directly by crime?

The answer is you do not. I do not remember the number either, but it is below 20%. If is not 100%. Yes, it is higher than most suburbs. No it is not anywhere near 100%. You can find it. The infomration is out there although it may be pretty old. That is not a study they do on a regular basis.

Some people are more susceptible to theft etc. Those people fail to protect themselves: Leave things visible in their car; leave their door unlocked or even open; leave valuable things in the house visible through a front window; have inadequate security; go out at night all blingy and park where they have a long walk so they can save moeny on parking (to buy more bling); etc. Yes, there are still some who use good sense, take every reasonable precaution and still get robbed. However, now you are talking about single digit percent.

Yes you will have to take precautions people in the nice suburbs do not have to worry about. There are places where no one even locks the doors to their homes. If you want to leave your door unlocked, go live there, not in Detroit. If you want to leave you computer on the seat of your car when you park on the street, or to be free to bling up and park ten blocks from your event, go somewhere else. No city is safe for that kind of behavior, but there are places you can do those things. However, as with every major city inthe USA, if you want to live work or play in Detroit, you are going to have to take some precautions, and even then, you are somewhat more likely to be a victim than outside a major city. IF that is an unacceptable risk, stay out of cities.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM

934 posts, read 842,316 times
I mean, my uncle moved back into his parents house in what was a decent middle class neighborhood at the time. He was the only white guy on the block, but he never experienced any problems. However, his neighborhood went into decline following the recession and he experienced a number of break-ins before leaving. He had security and he didn't flaunt his middle class status. That area is now trending toward blighted.

There is immense danger in trying to sugarcoat what life is like in the outlying neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or