U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 AM

4,495 posts, read 7,762,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
No offense, but I'm as middle class and earthy as they come and liking Olive Garden is a huge signifier of someone being bunchy white trash to me.
A.) My father-in-law is a self made wealthy man who earned everything he has by the sweat of his brow and living well below his means. He is NOT "bunchy white trash" and if he likes the food at Olive Garden, that is his business. Most people would kill to have what is in his bank account, and it didn't get there by eating at four star restaurants.

B.) Even if someone personally thinks that eating at Olive Garden makes someone "bunchy white trash", the polite thing to do is to not voice this opinion but to merely say something like, "Oh, that will be nice." I met the parents of the girl who said it at some of the choir concerts and they are solidly blue collar middle class and live in a rural area outside of Ann Arbor. Sounds like the girl was both impolite and insecure to me. Being surrounded by the ostentatious wealth and faux intellectual snobbery that pervades the campus of U of M Ann Arbor tends to do that to some people.

Now let's get this thread back on topic for the OP, ok?

Last edited by canudigit; 03-08-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM

514 posts, read 614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
A.) My father-in-law is a self made wealthy man who earned everything he has by the sweat of his brow and living well below his means. He is NOT "bunchy white trash" and if he likes the food at Olive Garden, that is his business. Most people would kill to have what is in his bank account, and it didn't get there by eating at four star restaurants.

B.) Even if someone personally thinks that eating at Olive Garden makes someone "bunchy white trash", the polite thing to do is to not voice this opinion but to merely say something like, "Oh, that will be nice." I met the parents of the girl who said it at some of the choir concerts and they are solidly blue collar middle class and live in a rural area outside of Ann Arbor. Sounds like the girl was both impolite and insecure to me. Being surrounded by the ostentatious wealth and faux intellectual snobbery that pervades the campus of U of M Ann Arbor tends to do that to some people.

Now let's get this thread back on topic for the OP, ok?
Just goes to show money and class are two different things. I guess your father-in-law likes eating hot dog buns for breadsticks.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:02 AM

4,495 posts, read 7,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtashn View Post
Some people have posted that the driving in Detroit area can get really bad. Is it all highways or just 676? How about living in South Lyon and commuting to Warren every day?
Some highways move more quickly than others, but since you would be commuting into metro Detroit from the western suburbs, you would be in the thick of the morning and afternoon traffic from Oakland County to the inner lying suburbs and downtown Detroit and vice versa, and it isn't very pretty. Coming from suburban Chicago, you already know the inside joke about cities in the Great Lakes regions having two driving seasons: winter, and construction (or orange barrel, as we sometimes call it). I would not want to do that commute, but I'm sure that there are people who do.

A couple of nice areas that are closer are West Bloomfield and Orchard Lake. Our son and daughter-in-law who live in Novi have been marginally looking for a house in one of those areas but really want to stay in Novi, not because those areas aren't just as nice or nicer in some cases, but because they live in a house half a block from a lake with lake access and really enjoy that general area.

I would definitely put those two on your list. Unless you really enjoy being in your car, you might tire of the commute from South Lyon rather quickly, especially if there are lane closures (pretty much a certainty in the warmer months) or snow.

Best of everything to you! I love Metro Detroit and would move up that way in a minute if Hubby didn't think there were too many people and too much traffic, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or