U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I need advice on my specific situation.

I will be moving from Chicago suburb to join GM in Warren. I have kids age 15 and 7. I am open to buying a house for up to $300k, built in 1990 or later, low crime rate, as long as it is in good school district =>8. I also would like to have a commutable distance to Ann Arbor in case any of my kids decide to study there. My preference would be a rural setting or edge of suburbia. Any recommendations on which areas to prioritize higher? I don't mind driving 45 minutes each way every day.

Some people have posted that the driving in Detroit area can get really bad. Is it all highways or just 676? How about living in South Lyon and commuting to Warren every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 06:58 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,821,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtashn View Post
Hello Everyone,

I need advice on my specific situation.

I will be moving from Chicago suburb to join GM in Warren. I have kids age 15 and 7. I am open to buying a house for up to $300k, built in 1990 or later, low crime rate, as long as it is in good school district =>8. I also would like to have a commutable distance to Ann Arbor in case any of my kids decide to study there. My preference would be a rural setting or edge of suburbia. Any recommendations on which areas to prioritize higher? I don't mind driving 45 minutes each way every day.

Some people have posted that the driving in Detroit area can get really bad. Is it all highways or just 676? How about living in South Lyon and commuting to Warren every day?
South Lyon would definitely check all of your boxes, but would be a rough commute to Warren every day. You will probably want to stick to the northern suburbs. Rochester is the most popular on that side of down.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 AM

27,772 posts, read 65,673,344 times
Other than the commute to Ann Arbor, Troy seems like your most reasonable option. St Clair Shores is nice, cheaper (save some of your moeny to pay for college) but the schools are not outstanding. Rochester is really neat/cute little town. Rochester hills is more suburbia, but the City is neat and has some nice open areas especially to the north. At $300K you might be able to get something in Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham or Franklin. For a longish commute - Romeo might be an option for you. It is a really cute town.

Out near Ann Arbor - Northville if you can afford it. All the surrounding townships, Northville Township, Lyon Township, Milford Township, Brighton Township, Salem, Wixom. . . The little towns in that area are mostly nice and have great schools. South Lyon as mentioned, Plymouth, Brighton, Milford, Salem. If you like suburban living Canton or Novi. Farmington.

You may want to reconsider choosing a place to live based on the possibility that your kids might go to U-M and want to commute because:

1. If you personally have a shorter commute, you will have more time to spend with your kids and help them with homework and overall development. This in turn will give them a better chance of getting into U-M.

2. There is not a huge likelihood of your kids getting into U-M. A 4.0 GPA is not always enough enough. Good test scores are not enough. It is very difficult to get in there. I know kids with 4.0 and good test scores who were turned down or wait listed. In part it will depend on where they went to school, what AP classes they took, what other accomplishments they achieved, particularly in community service or in their field of study. A State championship in a sport or performing art can help. It is hard to understand why one kids gets accepted and other is turned down. Two of my kids applied. One was wait listed. She had a 3.9, took almost all the AP classes offered, started a Cultural Awareness club at her school that took off for a while, won all kinds of awards for speaking and writing and singing. By the time they said she was accepted, she had already enrolled elsewhere (U-M Dearborn) and just decided to stay there. The other had not as good grades, marginally better test scores, some awards for Auto tech classes, and a State championship medal for rowing. They accepted him for general studies, but not for engineering. He could have taken general studies and then reapplied for engineering school, but he decided to go elsewhere where he knew he was accepted to Engineering school from the get go (plus he knew he would make the varsity rowing team which was not certain at U-M).

3. If they do go to U-M, a huge part of the advantage of that University over others is living on campus. The teachers are not better, the big advantage is the peers and the reputation. The kids learn from each other, so attending a school with all exemplary students can be a big plus. They spend all their time hanging out, talking, discussing, studying (and yes, drinking) with other really accomplished super smart kids. As much or more learning goes on in the dorm room as in the classroom. It is not clear why they would want to commute, or why you would want them to. It can save a lot of money, but they miss out on half their education opportunity, and a lot of the opportunity to build a network of professional friends - which will be critical to them later in life. My parents lived 15 - 20 minutes away from Ann Arbor, but I still lived on campus during law school there.

4. Anywhere near Ann Arbor is going to be a bear of a commute to Warren, especially in the winter.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,746,739 times
Your best bet would be the Romeo/Armada/Ray Twp/Richmond area - it's a direct shot down M53 - good schools and easily in your price point. Lots of nature/outdoor activities - Stoney Creek Metropark etc. Congrats on the gig!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM

979 posts, read 1,120,146 times
You will not be able to find much that is newer than 1990, in good schools, for under $300k in most of Oakland County at least anything that is a reasonable drive to Warren.

You best bet is probably going to be Northern Macomb County, like said where you can go down M-53 / Van Dyke to get to Warren.

I would not want to live west of I-275 and attempt to drive daily to Warren unless you are working off-peak hours.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:27 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,077,233 times
As a freshman, students are required to live in dorms at U-M, unless family lives very close to campus. This was the rule, at least, for the class entering last fall.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:32 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,936,331 times
What you're looking for sounds like Macomb Township or New Baltimore - both will be about a 25-30 minute drive to Warren and well over an hour to Ann Arbor, but that's the price you pay if you want something 1990 or later. In my (admittedly biased) opinion, there are some better older suburbs, with fantastic schools, just west of Warren (Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham) - closer to both Warren and Ann Arbor, but they're mostly 1930s-1950s build homes that you'll get for under 300k. You can find a lots of new homes as people buy older homes, tear them down, and build new, but they'll run you more in the 450-700k range. If you don't mind a townhome, you can find those in the 300k range in Royal Oak or Berkley, you could possibly even get a brand new one for 330-340k range.
(New Townhomes Link, Zillow
Other New Townhones Link, Zillow)

Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,809,221 times
I would look into Novi, Canton, Plymouth, and Northville. Congrats on the job btw.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,759,821 times
I will second the others, the University of Michigan Ann Arbor is not a commuter school. Our daughter attended U of M Dearborn her freshman year because our son was a senior there the same year and they could commute together and save money as opposed to renting a place near campus (U of M Dearborn had no student housing at the time so no freshman requirement to live on campus). For her sophomore year she was accepted at U of M Ann Arbor and since we live in a small town about a 25 minute drive from campus, she again commuted to save money. That was a mistake! Traffic was horrible (Ann Arbor rush hour is gridlock all around town), parking was a choice of trying to get a spot in a pricey parking garage on campus everyday or parking in a far flung commuter lot and waiting for buses everyday, often in bad weather, and all of her friends lived on campus so if she wanted to hang out with them or attend any of her extracurricular activities, she had to get in her car and drive to AA and be faced with the same options for parking. Add in the winter driving conditions in this area and no, commuting was not a viable choice. She lived on campus for her last two years and it was infinitely better in the long run.

Be aware also that the majority of the kids at U of M Ann Arbor come from wealthy, privileged, backgrounds and sometimes it is hard for a middle class kid to understand when the other kids in their classes routinely travel to Europe or Asia for fun, drive luxury sports cars, and wear very expensive clothing on a daily basis. Our daughter has never cared about fancy things, and because of that she did not necessarily gel with or share the same worldly values of a lot of her classmates and they could be very condescending. For example, she was in a choral group on campus and one time she mentioned to some of the girls that she had to miss a practice because we were going to go to Olive Garden for her birthday (my father-in-law's favorite place and she chose it for that reason which I thought was sweet, she prefers Asian food). One of the girls giggled and said, "Oh, you're going to Olive Garden for your birthday??!! OMG, that's just soooo cute!" Our daughter made a few good friends who were more like her and you can find them, but they aren't the majority. Another girl in her dorm was the daughter of a wealthy Chinese business executive and he bought her a brand new Mercedes to have as her "American car" while she lived on campus. Stuff like that.

Like the others said, I would focus on your commute, because if your kids end up at U of M Ann Arbor, they will get tired of commuting in very short order and will likely end up living on campus anyway. The others have given you some solid suggestions, I LOVE the city of Rochester and it's a reasonable distance, as is Troy. The western 'burbs like Novi, Northville, and Plymouth are very nice but housing is in demand and $$$$ for what you get. Our son and daughter-in-law live in Novi and have been looking to move to a bigger house. You won't touch much for under $300,000 that was built after 1990 in Novi, and it's even more expensive to buy in Northville or Plymouth. We live in an eight year old house in a small town that is worth about $260,000 and a comparable house in Novi would be well over $300,000, probably closer to $400,000. Those are just expensive towns.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM

514 posts, read 613,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I will second the others, the University of Michigan Ann Arbor is not a commuter school. Our daughter attended U of M Dearborn her freshman year because our son was a senior there the same year and they could commute together and save money as opposed to renting a place near campus (U of M Dearborn had no student housing at the time so no freshman requirement to live on campus). For her sophomore year she was accepted at U of M Ann Arbor and since we live in a small town about a 25 minute drive from campus, she again commuted to save money. That was a mistake! Traffic was horrible (Ann Arbor rush hour is gridlock all around town), parking was a choice of trying to get a spot in a pricey parking garage on campus everyday or parking in a far flung commuter lot and waiting for buses everyday, often in bad weather, and all of her friends lived on campus so if she wanted to hang out with them or attend any of her extracurricular activities, she had to get in her car and drive to AA and be faced with the same options for parking. Add in the winter driving conditions in this area and no, commuting was not a viable choice. She lived on campus for her last two years and it was infinitely better in the long run.

Be aware also that the majority of the kids at U of M Ann Arbor come from wealthy, privileged, backgrounds and sometimes it is hard for a middle class kid to understand when the other kids in their classes routinely travel to Europe or Asia for fun, drive luxury sports cars, and wear very expensive clothing on a daily basis. Our daughter has never cared about fancy things, and because of that she did not necessarily gel with or share the same worldly values of a lot of her classmates and they could be very condescending. For example, she was in a choral group on campus and one time she mentioned to some of the girls that she had to miss a practice because we were going to go to Olive Garden for her birthday (my father-in-law's favorite place and she chose it for that reason which I thought was sweet, she prefers Asian food). One of the girls giggled and said, "Oh, you're going to Olive Garden for your birthday??!! OMG, that's just soooo cute!" Our daughter made a few good friends who were more like her and you can find them, but they aren't the majority. Another girl in her dorm was the daughter of a wealthy Chinese business executive and he bought her a brand new Mercedes to have as her "American car" while she lived on campus. Stuff like that.

Like the others said, I would focus on your commute, because if your kids end up at U of M Ann Arbor, they will get tired of commuting in very short order and will likely end up living on campus anyway. The others have given you some solid suggestions, I LOVE the city of Rochester and it's a reasonable distance, as is Troy. The western 'burbs like Novi, Northville, and Plymouth are very nice but housing is in demand and $$$$ for what you get. Our son and daughter-in-law live in Novi and have been looking to move to a bigger house. You won't touch much for under $300,000 that was built after 1990 in Novi, and it's even more expensive to buy in Northville or Plymouth. We live in an eight year old house in a small town that is worth about $260,000 and a comparable house in Novi would be well over $300,000, probably closer to $400,000. Those are just expensive towns.
No offense, but I'm as middle class and earthy as they come and liking Olive Garden is a huge signifier of someone being bunchy white trash to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or