U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM

27,767 posts, read 65,663,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valium97 View Post

But with Germany just let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks. Is it complicated to travel between German and Denmark and Sweden? I expect it is not more involved than driving to Canada, if that. Can I drive, or will I need to fly?

From Schleswig-Holstein, I want to visit Busum and Kiel, then Copenhagen, a little island called Hven (preferably for two or three days), Skane area in Sweden, Lund, Bornholme, and Rugen (Plus Tallinn); and if I have time which is unlikely, I will go to Roskilde and Ribe. Of course at some point, I will have to go down south to spend some time with my Brother and his family. I am thinking 2-3 weeks. Is that even possible? I have not measured out distances. There are a few places I will want a couple of days. Others, one day is plenty. Maybe I can get brother and family to come with me. It would be nice to have someone who speaks something other than English (my brother speaks German very fluently, his wife speaks about 8 languages). It is my understanding almost everyone speaks English, at least everyone under 50, still having German as a back up seems wise.

I will not have a ton of time in Tallinn. I just want to see what the area is generally like. At the time of my book Tallinn was a tiny village, probably called Ravel. There was a critical battle fought there in, about June 19, 2019 (give or take a few weeks, I do not remember - it is in my notes). I cannot really write about the events there unless I have at least some idea of what it is like. Sure everything has changed, but the old Danish town hall was constructed within 100 years or less of then. The Climate has changed some, but not a whole lot. That was at the tail end of a 100 Year warming cycle. So I can get a feel for climate, daylight hours, topography, distance for old town to the shore, etc. A lot of it is a bit of a WAG as to whether any of those things are the same 800 years later, but it is a better foundation for a guess than just looking on the internet. For me, to wrtie about what a place is like, I have to feel it. Kinda silly maybe, but it is me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,931,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thanks. Is it complicated to travel between German and Denmark and Sweden? I expect it is not more involved than driving to Canada, if that. Can I drive, or will I need to fly?
Not complicated at all, at least Germany to Denmark. I've visited that very region to which you are referring (Schleswig/Kiel) and driven to Copenhagen. We were stopped by police near the border crossing, but they just checked our documents and let us go. This was in 2005, mind you, but I doubt much has changed.
Quote:
Is that even possible? I have not measured out distances. There are a few places I will want a couple of days. Others, one day is plenty.
Totally doable. I'm going to Germany on Thursday and plan on going to Belgium twice, Austria, Slovakia and Czech Republic (not to mention Frankfurt and Bavaria in Germany) over the course of two and a half weeks. It's a fair bit of driving, but what you're describing is far less than that.
Quote:
I will not have a ton of time in Tallinn. I just want to see what the area is generally like. At the time of my book Tallinn was a tiny village, probably called Ravel.
Revel or Reval, depending on the language (Russian or German, respectively). That was before 1918 and during the German occupation of 1941-43.
Quote:
So I can get a feel for climate, daylight hours, topography, distance for old town to the shore, etc.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to do in a day or two. The town isn't large and if all you're focusing on is Old Town, you can cover it on foot in one afternoon (at a fairly leisurely pace).
Quote:
For me, to wrtie about what a place is like, I have to feel it. Kinda silly maybe, but it is me.
Not silly at all - it's the best way to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:02 AM

9 posts, read 7,831 times
My comment wasn't posted due to a technical issue so I'll have to rewrite it some time... :-(

Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 AM

Hi Coldjensens

If you travel to Denmark and Sweden remember that the are not in the Eurozone and you therefore need to exchange money. Estonia has the Euro so no hassle there...

Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 AM

4,722 posts, read 8,574,214 times
I wonder if a topic for expats in Metro Detroit could be stickied. It could be tailored to country of origin. I know there are many expats from China, India, and Japan coming to the area.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM

Coldjensens:

There's a guy from NZ that is going quite some parts of where you are planning to go by motorcycle. Maybe you want to follow up and get some interesting info...

MrKiwi's European Affair with Red | Adventure Rider

Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 AM

27,767 posts, read 65,663,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valium97 View Post
Coldjensens:

There's a guy from NZ that is going quite some parts of where you are planning to go by motorcycle. Maybe you want to follow up and get some interesting info...

MrKiwi's European Affair with Red | Adventure Rider
Thank you I will watch this. This trip would be almost ideal for me. My Brother lives near Munich. I would skip some of the former USSR countries. Nothing wrong with them that i know of, I just have more interest in other places and woudl want to spend my time there. It seems like it would be great to see it by motorcycle. I wanted to learn to ride this year, but it seems I have to address a torn muniscus first (need to walk before I can ride).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit