U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 5,119 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. I am currently thinking about going to Wayne state school of medicine. The hiccup is that the wife wants to live in a safe area with reasonable housing. Since We will be living on student loans we are unsure if this is possible in Detroit. I am willing to commute up to an hour each way, ideally would like to keep it under 45 minutes. Our budget is roughly 125k for a house, or 800~ for rent. Is is possible? Any recommendations? We have a young child, but not school age.
I have to option to go to michgan state, in GR or Lansing and my wife seems smitten with how much a 100k can buy in lansing compared to the suburbs of detroit. I would rather attend WSU, but I digress.
Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM

937 posts, read 842,656 times
How big are you looking for in terms of housing, and are you looking to rent a house or an apartment? An hour to 45 minutes really puts the entire area from Flint to Monroe and then west to Ann Arbor into play, so you have a LOT of options here.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM

was hoping to buy or rent a 2 bedroom with preferably a yard.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 AM

292 posts, read 204,236 times
Normally when you are interviewed for a seat in a medical schools incoming class they will give you a list of living possibilities along with the fact many alumni and current medical students are the ones to ask if you are serious.. Were you accepted into WSU or MSU medical schools? There are facebook groups for both universities that you can join and get real answers from real people not anonymous people who were never medical school students

Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM

2,465 posts, read 1,759,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUSOMHopeful View Post
The title says it all. I am currently thinking about going to Wayne state school of medicine. The hiccup is that the wife wants to live in a safe area with reasonable housing. Since We will be living on student loans we are unsure if this is possible in Detroit. I am willing to commute up to an hour each way, ideally would like to keep it under 45 minutes. Our budget is roughly 125k for a house, or 800~ for rent. Is is possible? Any recommendations? We have a young child, but not school age.
I have to option to go to michgan state, in GR or Lansing and my wife seems smitten with how much a 100k can buy in lansing compared to the suburbs of detroit. I would rather attend WSU, but I digress.
Thanks for all your help.
This price range and the required sqft will give you lots of options with in 15-30 min drive. I would suggest Madison Heights, Warren (bigger yard), Ferndale (cool mini-city)

You need few more criteria to narrow your list down. Also are you sure you want to buy house because you might have to move after 4 years?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
Normally when you are interviewed for a seat in a medical schools incoming class they will give you a list of living possibilities along with the fact many alumni and current medical students are the ones to ask if you are serious.. Were you accepted into WSU or MSU medical schools? There are facebook groups for both universities that you can join and get real answers from real people not anonymous people who were never medical school students
I was accepted to Both universities. I have joined the facebook groups and asked around. This forum has pretty on-point advice most of the time so I thought I would ask. The listings that the schools give are usually designed for traditional students without families and other considerations.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
This price range and the required sqft will give you lots of options with in 15-30 min drive. I would suggest Madison Heights, Warren (bigger yard), Ferndale (cool mini-city)

You need few more criteria to narrow your list down. Also are you sure you want to buy house because you might have to move after 4 years?
We are open to either buying or renting. It just seems in some markets buying is better than renting, and with our criteria , dogs, children, no lead in the windows(post 1960 construction), and roughly 800 per month it is difficult finding a rental property in some of the outskirts we have been looking at. It is also really hard figuring this out considering there are pockets of good neighborhoods and a house a few streets away might be completely different but the search tools do not delineate.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:56 AM

2,465 posts, read 1,759,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUSOMHopeful View Post
We are open to either buying or renting. It just seems in some markets buying is better than renting, and with our criteria , dogs, children, no lead in the windows(post 1960 construction), and roughly 800 per month it is difficult finding a rental property in some of the outskirts we have been looking at. It is also really hard figuring this out considering there are pockets of good neighborhoods and a house a few streets away might be completely different but the search tools do not delineate.
Sorry I misread your original post. I assumed you were looking for 800sqft house and not $800/month rent. That rent will get you apartment and not house with yard unless you want 1920s build house in Detroit area. There are good pockets in Detroit but most of the houses were build in golden era. You have to settle for 1000sqft house based on your budget. The problem is most of the cheaper houses are closest to Detroit which are all build before 1960s. Are you open to condos that have swimming pool for kids to enjoy. You can find newer build condos.

ex.https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...83481038_zpid/

Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Sorry I misread your original post. I assumed you were looking for 800sqft house and not $800/month rent. That rent will get you apartment and not house with yard unless you want 1920s build house in Detroit area. There are good pockets in Detroit but most of the houses were build in golden era. You have to settle for 1000sqft house based on your budget. The problem is most of the cheaper houses are closest to Detroit which are all build before 1960s. Are you open to condos that have swimming pool for kids to enjoy. You can find newer build condos.

ex.https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...83481038_zpid/
Thanks, thats an excellent suggestion. I will include condo's in the search. Is warren considered a safe areas? Is shopping easily accessible? Yeah, the older houses generally look like they are in disrepair or sad for some reason. Maybe it is just the photo's. The lead however, is non negotiable. 1000 Sqft seems plenty are the HOA fees for condo's excessive, because in our current area the HOA will run half of the mortgage .

Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
The adjacent, semi-rural communities of Belleville/Van Buren Township are possibilities you should explore for buying a house in your price range. I-94 freeway runs right through them, so getting to Wayne State is a 30-40 minute commute, straight shot down I-94. Nearby Canton is where you would do your shopping.

10696 Van Buren Ln, Belleville MI 48111 - MLS# 216112255

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bell...2!2d42.3591388

I would also look into Warren north of I-696, as that is the safer part of Warren and you will find more houses there that were built post-1960, as well as the adjacent communities of Roseville and Fraser.

16655 Waterman Dr, Roseville MI 48066 - MLS# 31314826

Concerning $800 rent for a single-family house - you are not going to find that in a good neighborhood in the Detroit area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or