U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,634 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice about moving to Detroit. I recently got a job in Ecorse, Michigan and will be moving to the area. I'm in my early 20's and will likely be looking to rent, at least for my first year. My work has provided me temporary living for at least a month so that gives me a little bit of time to search. I'm single, like to be active(biking, working out, rock climbing etc.), pretty damn nerdy and go out a fair amount(nightlife). Plus I enjoy food,beer and such. I do enjoy the ability to walk around when in city center's(and I hear midtown/downtown is nice) but I also care about safety obviously and I understand that that's important when living in Detroit.

I'd prefer my commute to be less than 45 minutes. I currently have an hour commute to work and it's killer.

My current apartment is 1350 $/month but I'd like to shoot lower than that in Detroit since the rental market is supposedly cheaper than where I currently live(Chicago). Plus I'm planning to finally get around to buying a new car and possibly some other investments. In terms of apartment preferences I've always been a bit of a sucker for larger apartments(IE 1000 sq. ft).

I've heard that the housing market is significantly more attractive than the rental market(namely the Price to Rental ratio is insane) but I'm not sure if I'm quite convinced to try that yet. Still if someone has convincing advice I may consider it.

I've lived/live in Chicago(near lakeview), Atlanta(Midtown and near Little Five points), and Pittsburgh(South Side). Almost all of those places are fairly close(15 minute drive) to central downtown and I enjoyed living in all those places. However, to be clear I'm very open to suburbs of course.

What are some good area's in Detroit for me? Any advice? Hopefully this isn't too much writing I"m looking to give a good description of who I am and what I"m looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
In a perfect world I'd suggest Ann Arbor or Royal Oak for the young-professional crowd, but either of those are going to be 45 minutes to an hour to Ecorse on most mornings. Plymouth makes a good option as well, but again you're looking at a 30-45 minute commute most days. Unfortunately Ecorse is tough to get to because you have to flow with all the Downtown Detroit traffic most of the way, but then go further down river at the end of your commute. If you like urban life and don't mind the stigma of Detroit, some of the neighborhoods in the Greater Downtown area are thriving with young professionals and Wayne State students. Plus, they would be great commutes to Ecorse (maybe 20 minutes) with practically zero traffic - Downtown itself may be a bit pricey, but you can probably find what you want in the bordering neighborhoods which are also nice.

I don't know much about "downriver" communities, but I've always had a positive opinion of Wyandotte - which would only be maybe a 5 minute commute as it neighbors Ecorse. I think it tends to be more of a family suburb, but it's a good little town and you wouldn't be far from Detroit when you wanted to get out with friends, but I think in my young-professional years living somewhere like Wyandotte wouldn't have excited me too terribly much.

There are a lot of options and most of them are going to be relatively affordable. If you can handle a bit of a commute Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, and Plymouth tend to be pretty well liked among 20-somethings with a comfortable salary. If the 45 minute drive bothers you, look at the city center neighborhoods of Detroit, in some ways they're actually probably superior to A2/RO/Plymouth - if the city and commute both bother you consider Wyandotte or Allen Park - they may not be super hip, but they're good, safe places to call home.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM

939 posts, read 843,381 times
Wyandotte is nice... it's an inner ring suburb and is thus fairly urban and built up with a lot of duplexes and 1920s homes. The downtown has some nice places for the young crowd but it is mostly families. You will be 5 minutes from Ecorse and maybe 15 minutes from downtown Detroit.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,587,794 times
Definitely Wyandotte. Right next door to Ecorse. Reasonably safe, a fun-ish downtown, yet still a small town atmosphere. Several neat festivals etc. You may be able to find a place on the water where you can drop in a canoe or kayak after work. Note however live near or in downtown, or there is little point in Wyandotte. Wyandotte is not unsafe, just not virtually crimefree like some of the super upscale suburbs.

Trenton is next to Wyandotte and quieter, safer, not as fun, but there is an awesome county park ont he water at the edge of Trenton. You can bike from Trenton to Wyandotte. (Cannot walk).

Grosse Ile is really nice very quiet, outdoorsy. Lots of bike/foot trails, boats, nature. Not a lot of life for young people, but Wyandotte is just across a bridge. Grosse Ile is expensive though. I have hear of people finding a rental place for under 1200, but it is very rare. Usually an older person or out of state family renting a condo or tiny house with no idea of the market. I do know of a place with no plumbing (or maybe it has plumbing but no electricity - I forget which, but pretty sure it is no plumbing) that is near the sewer treatment plant that likely rents for under 1000. It is on the canal which is neat, but I am not sure how someone can live there. Still there are some reasonably nice houses near it, so it cannot be that awful a location.

To me it makes no sense to commute from someplace far away. Unless you will be working bankers hours, by the time you struggle through a hectic commute, you will not want to do anything anyway. Shorter commute = better life. Wyandotte is exciting enough for weekdays, and you can drive to Detroit, Royal Oak or Ann Arbor on weekends if your desire more goings on. The most happening place in SE michigan right now is Mid-town Detroit. That is only about 25 - 30 minutes from Wyandotte. Faster with no traffic.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM

17 posts, read 19,019 times
Wyandotte will be your best option for close commute and nightlife/bar scene.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
Thanks for everybody's responses so far. Most of the advice are what I was expecting based on my research with Wyandotte being the only "hip" suburb easily accessible to my work place. Seems like most of the other suburbs are to the northwest of Detroit downtown. I found one suburb called Southfield which was northwest of Detroit that threw me for a loop lol.

I'll check around downtown/central Wyandotte and Plymouth as well as take a look at some of the neighborhoods in Greater downtown area as stigma has never bothered me. Any specific neighborhoods to look at? I was reading up and it seemed like the best choices were Midtown/Detroit Riverfront/Mexican Village/and West Village?

The commute for these area's(barring Plymouth) seem fine ranging from 15-30 minutes which I'm more than okay with.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 19,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Thanks for everybody's responses so far. Most of the advice are what I was expecting based on my research with Wyandotte being the only "hip" suburb easily accessible to my work place. Seems like most of the other suburbs are to the northwest of Detroit downtown. I found one suburb called Southfield which was northwest of Detroit that threw me for a loop lol.

I'll check around downtown/central Wyandotte and Plymouth as well as take a look at some of the neighborhoods in Greater downtown area as stigma has never bothered me. Any specific neighborhoods to look at? I was reading up and it seemed like the best choices were Midtown/Detroit Riverfront/Mexican Village/and West Village?

The commute for these area's(barring Plymouth) seem fine ranging from 15-30 minutes which I'm more than okay with.

Keep in mind I-75 South Bound between Detroit and South Gate is closed until Nov 2018. Your drive from Midtown is going to be much longer than 30 minutes during peak rush hour dispute it only be 10-11ish miles away.. From Plymouth Hour+ commute without a doubt.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,587,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Keep in mind I-75 South Bound between Detroit and South Gate is closed until Nov 2018. Your drive from Midtown is going to be much longer than 30 minutes during peak rush hour dispute it only be 10-11ish miles away.. From Plymouth Hour+ commute without a doubt.
If you use Jefferson to come south rather than Fort, it is better. Everyone is on Fort. Jefferson is very slow up in Del Rey because so many people creep over the horrible railroad crossings. That commute drives me crazy, not because of the time so much as it is just annoying. Too many lights, too many people doing incredibly stupid things. My solution is to stay at work until after rush hour is over.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Downtown Detroit, Corktown, or in/near downtown Wyandotte are your best options because of the freeway closure.

-Let me throw this out there: downtown WEST DEARBORN

This is a decent-sized downtown area that is really starting to come around. Since you like biking, it is near Hines Drive, a 17-mile parkway with a bike path, and 2 gorgeous paved (but kind of short) bike trails are nearby as well. It is near a decent mall called Fairlane.

To get to Ecorse, just take Southfield Freeway/Road south. Easy 18-minute commute

Ford Motor Company, which is headquartered 2 miles from downtown West Dearborn is spearheading a plan to bring even more development to downtown West Dearborn.

Ford plans $60M makeover in downtown Dearborn

Could west Dearborn be the region's next hot downtown?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM

939 posts, read 843,381 times
I would agree with west Dearborn, actually. It's been an area I've been watching quietly for a while as I consider buying a home in the next few years. I think it has a lot of potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or