Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 13,253 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyones feedback. I have never even visited Detroit, so all info is helpful! I definitely want to look into Palmer Woods more. I never considered living in Downtown proper because I am thinking we would prefer a house, but I guess nothing is off the table at this point. I find myself drawn to Indian Village from what I see online, but I definitely need to check it out in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 03:15 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
I would visit Detroit as soon as possible. If you expecting it to be like Boston or Philadelphia or something you are going to probably be disappointed. Don't mistake me, Detroit is a phenomenal city with a lot going on and it is improving everyday. But it may not be the kind of urban atmosphere that you are expecting or used to. This is not to justify the sentiments that one of the posters on the first page expressed, it is just a fact that Detroit is not yet "normalized"... it's still a city built for two million people that only has six hundred thousand residents.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:55 PM

123 posts, read 160,195 times
You won't have to go into any shady areas for basic errands, there's a whole foods in Midtown and a Honey Bee market in Corktown.

I think the University district would be perfect for you, it's right by Ferndale so you have all the city amenities with plenty of things to do and there are lots of beautiful historical homes, plus is right by a golf course. Palmer woods is in the same area but it consists of some really large CEO type historical mansions that are pretty high maintenance, not sure if that's what you're looking to get into. This couple is actually renovating their home in the University district: https://medium.com/@mirandas/latest

Here's a street view of the area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4265...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
With that kind of budget, I probably wouldn't be looking at Detroit proper. If I liked older homes and a family-friendly walkable neighborhoods with good schools and convenient shopping (which I definitely do!) I'd probably be shopping in Huntington Woods. In my opinion it's one of the most forgotten and underrated towns in the metro, but it's tiny - so it's not surprising. Depending on where you are, it's walking distance to the zoo and the "downtown" commercial sectors of Royal Oak, Berkley and/or Ferndale. Homes are typically priced in the $400-800,000 range, and most have a lot of character. It's an old timey grid-pattern neighborhood with sidewalks and tree-lined streets, and most of the community amenities are top notch.

Also worth considering would be the Grosse Pointes, Pleasant Ridge, and mayyybe Birmingham, but Birmingham is a lot more trendy and less urban feeling than the GPs, and HW/PR.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 03-22-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
This is a tough question because of what brodie734 said, this city is not normal!

INDIAN VILLAGE

Indian Village is definitely something to explore. Although it is bounded by rough neighborhoods on the east and north, and it's adjacent to some really beautiful neighborhoods like West Village, Joseph Berry, and the Gold Coast. It is collectively within an area of Detroit collectively known as the Villages. This neighborhood has great history - names like Dodge, Ford, and Hoffa have lived there - and a great sense of community. The neighborhood is about 50/50 white/black. Lastly, being next to the riverfront, there are some nice Riverfront Parks nearby, the City's signature park, Belle Isle, is less than a mile away, and the Riverwalk is about 1.5 to 2 miles away.

The Villages of Detroit

I don't know about the Catholic School situation in the city. There are not as many as there used to be. For modest shopping options like Kohls, you will have to go to the Grosse Pointes, which is about 4-5 miles away. In adjacent West Village, there is a growing restaurant scene. In downtown and midtown, about 3 miles away, you will find some boutiques in Midtown and more higher retail downtown. There are grocery stores nearby, but none of them are chain stores.

PALMER/UNVERSITY/SHERWOOD FOREST

I would also second the suggestion of Palmer Woods/University District/Sherwood Forest/Green Acres area. There is a Catholic K-8 and Catholic High School in that area. Also in the area is Palmer Park, a big park that has a neat history and a good amount of kid's programs and activities. There is a good independent full-service grocery store in the neighborhood. You are also nearer to more chain retail and chain grocery stores like Kroger. The neighborhood has a burgeoning commercial district centered at 7 Mile and Livernois, and you are only 1-3 miles from downtown Ferndale, one of the most vibrant districts in the metro area.

BOSTON EDISON

Too much of an island for me. Neighborhoods to the north, east, and west are just depressed. It is only a mile or so from the New Center and 2 miles from midtown. It is very large (1.5 miles from east to west boundary), but there is nothing to walk to.

GROSSE POINTES

If the city is too rough around the edges, I would also strongly consider the suburban Grosse Pointes. They have a ton of history, civic pride, housing architecture, lakeside beaches & parks, and 3 small but charming commercial strips - but they have an old money, stuffy reputation.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
Missscarlet, congratulations to you and your family on your upcoming move! Since you already have worries about safety and being home while your husband frequently travels (I've been there, and understand), I would agree with the suburbs that Geo-Aggie recommends, as well as the Grosse Pointes. No need to set yourself up for anxiety, and moving a family is plenty stressful enough. Best wishes to you!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,249,462 times
With respect to safety since its been mentioned several times I will add that here in Michigan once you establish residency if you are inclined, getting a CPL (concealed pistol license) is not hard if you have a clean record. I realize many folks do not want to go that route and I respect that. But it is an option for those who might consider arming themselves in public.
The process involves an 8-10 hour class taken in the private sector. Prices are typically $100-$150. Once completed you apply for your license at I think a cost of $100. It takes bout 4-6 weeks to have your fingerprints run through the FBI.

Otherwise you can buy a handgun for home use at a licensed dealer with a much shorter process and be out the door in 20 minutes to an hour.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,253 times
Thank you again to everyone who has responded. While I am definitely going to consider the suburbs, we are still leaning towards living with the Detroit city lines. I do need to realize that Detroit city living is going to be very different from the city living we are used to. Hoping we can find a neighborhood that we love and feel safe in. The idea of being able to purchase our dream home in some Detroit neighborhoods at a price we can afford is definitely tempting. The school situation does concern me. We are used to going to our neighborhood Catholic School.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Detroit has some very good private/catholic schools and a couple of good charter high schools. Otherwise the schools are abysmal.

University of Detroit High School is a great school in every way as far as I can tell. They graduate gentlemen scholars, not students. Seriously.

Ligget is supposed to be good too. At the lower levels, Waldorf schools are reputedly good.

Public charters Renaissance High, Detroit School of the Arts and Cass Tech are all good to great high schools. You do not just walk in the door and register for them though. There is a competitive selection process.

I think there are some other good catholic schools in the city (not Catholic - don't know). There are certainly some excellent ones nearby.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:25 PM

123 posts, read 160,195 times
The neighborhoods recommended to you in the city aren't dangerous at all. People have this bizarre stigma that anything south of 8 mile is dangerous and that's not true. Don't let it permeate you.

If you really just want peace of mind, get a security system. The biggest difference you'll notice about Detroit compared to other major cities like Chicago is that there is little to no public transit. You're definitely better off in the city, there are so many historical gems just waiting to be restored to glory. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit