U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 AM

9,634 posts, read 10,187,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
With respect to safety since its been mentioned several times I will add that here in Michigan once you establish residency if you are inclined, getting a CPL (concealed pistol license) is not hard if you have a clean record.
What's the name of that guy who lived in Detroit that shot that woman through his screen door at 2:00 am? Maybe the o.p. can ask him how wise it is to own a handgun and live in what you consider a 'rough' part of town. Don't go to the supermarket when you are hungry, you bring home much more than you intended. The analogy holds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What's the name of that guy who lived in Detroit that shot that woman through his screen door at 2:00 am? Maybe the o.p. can ask him how wise it is to own a handgun and live in what you consider a 'rough' part of town. Don't go to the supermarket when you are hungry, you bring home much more than you intended. The analogy holds.
This event took place in the SUBURB of Dearborn Heights, not a "rough" part of town.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:23 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Maybe they should ask the Detroit poilce chief. Who cn tell me wht his nswer is? anyone?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:41 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
South Lyon, Novi, and Northville are your quintessential outer-ring suburbia. Northville has a quaint downtown that you could convince me is a nice place to be, but otherwise unless OP wants to be in your stereotypical soulless suburban sprawl, which based on OPs posts is not preferable, I wouldn't advise they don't bother with the far western edge of the metro. Also, depending on where OP works, South Lyon can be an awful commute. Don't get me wrong, those are great towns if you're looking for new-build, big-money suburbia; however when someone makes the statement of "...living in the suburbs will be hard for me" - you don't suggest 3 of the most suburbany suburbs in the entire metro.
In any loction iy depends on where you are locted. Northville for exmple hs some blnd McMasion subdivisions, but downtown you can live in restored victorin home in a neighborhood of simlr homes, nd woul to some neat shops nd resturuunts, or you could live where ym dd is, techniclly Northville address but on in the biddle of nowhere on a 3 acre apple orchard with neighbors on 10 acres and 110 acres.

Birghton and milford lso hve neat quaint old fashioned downtowns. Small but still bneat

Detroit is the same. Some parts are wesome wonderful and some are awful. Some re reasonably safe and some are asking for trouble.

Someone bove discussed North Rosedl Park. It is really net. Cool houses. A gret community theater. Internal security. However it is an oasis in a pretty bad area. Still I looked for house for one of my dughters there for while. It is a nice oasis.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-25-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,757 times
Quote:
His name is Theodore Wafer. As pointed out by usroute10 it was in Dearborn Heights. He used a 12 gauge shotgun, not a handgun and to the best of my knowledge he didn't have a CPL. If he had taken the 8 hour class to qualify for a CPL perhaps the training would have taught him not to shoot in that circumstance.

In any case a firearm like a car can be a horrible tragedy waiting to happen if one isn't respectful of the consequences of poor decisions.
I will note that 300 million firearms in America don't kill as many people as 280 million cars even though the firearms are sort of designed to kill.

But this is slightly off topic. As safety was brought up by numerous folks I just wanted to let the OP know about Michigan law for the sake of knowledge.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Someone bove discussed North Rosedl Park. It is really net. Cool houses. A gret community theater. Internal security. However it is an oasis in a pretty bad area. Still I looked for house for one of my dughters there for while. It is a nice oasis.

A map of the Grandmont-Rosedale area. North Rosedale Park is adjacent to other good neighborhoods with similar housing stock and upkeep and community pride.

A new Meijer's a mile down the road.

In addition, the neighborhoods that bound North Rosedale Park to the east and the west, Old Redford and Crary-St. Mary's, respectively - there are many places in Detroit worse than those 2. Now southwest of Rosedale Park is Brightmoor, which is "a pretty bad area".

Typical house in Crary-St. Mary's

Last edited by usroute10; 03-25-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM

939 posts, read 842,656 times
If you are coming from a place with no or low home abandonment, anywhere with boarded-up houses it looked like a "bad neighborhood". I'd be interested in the cities the original poster has previously lived in so that we can get a better idea of what their perceptions might be like.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:04 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,146,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett27 View Post
It seems like Indian Village from what I have read is surrounded by some really tough neighborhoods. Are there areas of IV that are safer than others?
That's true of most areas of Detroit (and in a lot of other cities, too).

Indian Village is one of my favorite Detroit neighborhoods. It's (very) clean/well kept, quiet but has some degree of vitality. It's old with lots of character and interesting older buildings architecture-wise, and although it's known for its mini mansions (and a few honest-to-goodness mansions), there's a nice dense apartment district tucked away on Agnes Street (near intersections with Parker and Van Dyke), including some older mixed-use mid-rise buildings with ground floor retail, including a restaurant or 2. I was shocked when I discovered this neighborhood around a decade ago -- it feels more like an eastern or a Chicago neighborhood than what you'd expect inside Detroit.

Indian Village is also accessible to the Detroit River (walking distance) and retail/restaurants along Jefferson Ave, one of Detroit's better main drags. Belle Isle is close by and Grosse Pointe isn't that far, either.

As for crime? IIRC Indian Village has special DPD coverage -- I thought I recalled even special-looking cop cars patrolling the area, so inside the Village seemed pretty safe... But yeah, Indian Village gets a bit shakier the closer you get, heading north, to Mack Ave - and definitely don't venture north of Mack, because the areas there are badly deteriorated and likely (I have no statistics) more crime-ridden.

Corktown is decent, but overrated imho. It's historic and close to downtown, but it strikes me as small, isolated and somewhat dead -- it was a ghost town that last time I was in Detroit. That little (ex-Tiger's Stadium) strip of bars, including the famous Slow's, is nearby but somewhat disconnected from Corktown -- I wouldn't walk to-from there at night. Corktown is cool in many ways, but it just strikes me as transitional.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:13 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,146,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

A map of the Grandmont-Rosedale area. North Rosedale Park is adjacent to other good neighborhoods with similar housing stock and upkeep and community pride.

A new Meijer's a mile down the road.

In addition, the neighborhoods that bound North Rosedale Park to the east and the west, Old Redford and Crary-St. Mary's, respectively - there are many places in Detroit worse than those 2. Now southwest of Rosedale Park is Brightmoor, which is "a pretty bad area".

Typical house in Crary-St. Mary's
I agree ... Rosedale Park is very nice, very solid housing and well kept. Strong neighborhood associations. There's also quite a bit of retail along Grand River Ave, even if its more the strip mall/suburban type I don't care for. But I would definitely recommend Grandmont-Rosedale as solid areas to buy a house and raise a family.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:38 PM

915 posts, read 1,158,710 times
1) I'd check out Archdiocese of Detroit | The Roman Catholic Church in Detroit, MI for information on the Archdiocese of Detroit.

Mainly because the Catholic schools in the area have been doing a lot of consolidating.

One of my friends watched her son go to 2 different schools in the past 2 years because of bad planning. She was not happy about all the upheaval. She lives in the Redford area. (Redford borders Detroit).

There are some really nice parishes downtown as well.

2) If you were moving to Northville or South Lyon, then I would also recommend Catholic Central and St. Siena's.

However, as someone already mentioned, OP doesn't seem interested in living in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or