U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,425 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My husband is getting transferred to Detroit for work. We are planning to move by the start of the school year. What City neighborhoods would you recommend? We are a white family of Irish and Italian descent. I have lived in a city my whole life so am used to urban living, and know it has as many positives as it does negatives. I have 3 kids ages 10, 8 and 4. We plan on sending them to Catholic School. Our budget is in the $800,000 range. I love older homes, and we have been thinking of buying an older home and restoring if needed. What can you tell me about the following neighborhoods? What about errands, grocery shopping, sports leagues for my kids (specifically hockey and soccer) playgrounds, schools, etc..... My husband also travels quite a bit for work, so I will be home alone with the kids overnight at times. A relatively safe neighborhood with a strong sense of community is important.

1. Indian Village

2. Boston Edison

I have seen a few newer homes in Detroit listed as being located on Sand Dollar Ln. I can't seem to find any neighborhood info though.

Someone also recommended Hamtramck? I have just started my research, and we plan to visit Detroit and meet with a realtor next month. Any other neighborhoods we should be checking out? Are we crazy to even think we can safely live in Detroit? Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

124 posts, read 108,127 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

If you like living near urban areas then Indian Village, University district, Boston Edison and West Village are perfect for you. All old, gorgeous and safe neighborhoods and young professionals are flooding into them. I knew a guy from San Francisco who moved to Indian Village and he absolutely loves it, his home actually rose dramatically in value just living there for a short amount of time. Your kids will be in private school so the Detroit school system obviously won't impact you at all.

All the places the poster above recommended are hell-scape suburban sprawl areas. Don't let that user scare you, he knows nothing.

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2017 at 02:50 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think what worries me most about Detroit are errands.. shopping, etc.. Will I need to shop in bad neighborhoods, or drive through bad neighborhoods to go anywhere? I am a city girl at heart, so living in the suburbs will be hard for me, but I am wondering if I need to keep an open mind.....

I have also come across a neighborhood called Palmer Woods? Any info?

Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM

937 posts, read 842,316 times
Poster #2 represents the typical attitude of local Baby Boomers for whom Detroit is a swearword (and often a byword for a more offensive slur that they know they can't get away with saying). The suburbs that they named are all fine, too, if in decline. The kind of person who would commute 65 miles to and from work each day so they can avoid seeing anyone of another race, if you catch the drift. Let them enjoy Brighton and South Lyon, those communities are only "trendy" to people caught up in a suburban mindset and unable to break out of it.

Having said that, I might consider looking outside the city (but not far) for a couple of reasons. There are neighborhoods that you might enjoy in Detroit... if old homes are your thing I would add Corktown (which has a Catholic elementary-middle school right there) to the list... but my concerns would be that you would need to drive in order to do most of your shopping, especially if you want regular produce (ie not bought at a markup from Whole Foods) or clothes. What exists in terms of local markets and retail in Detroit is in the neighborhoods and you may find many of them to be "bad". The "nice" parts of Detroit are full of high end, high priced retail, if you think you might need to go to Kohls or the Home Depot, you will be trekking out to a suburb. I'd also be concerned about your kids making friends... most of the nicer neighborhoods in Detroit are not filled with families and many of the Catholic schools are filled with kids who live in suburbs and are dropped off on their parents commutes. It might make it harder for your kids to feel like they are part of a community.

I'd suggest some inner ring suburbs, since school districts are no object: The Gross Pointes, Wyandotte, Ferndale, west Dearborn, Royal Oak. Further out, Plymouth has nice old housing stock. Ann Arbor is only an option if you or your spouse love driving for some reason, it is a 45 minute commute each way at the closest point, but is pretty much a perfect city if you can afford it... there are people who do this (myself included), however both my girlfriend and best friend grew up with dads who commuted from Ann Arbor to Detroit and their memories are of their dads not being around as much as they'd have liked.

Last edited by brodie734; 03-21-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Live in Corktown. There is a Catholic school right there. Look for homes around Bagley and Leverette. You may need to leave the city to shop, but you would be near freeways and a straight shot from both the Detroit Whole Foods and Dearborn, a neighboring suburb with pretty much everything.

Poster #2 represents the typical attitude of local Baby Boomers for whom Detroit is a swearword (and often a byword for a more offensive slur that they know they can't get away with saying). The suburbs that they named are all fine, too, if in decline. The kind of person who would commute 65 miles to and from work each day so they can avoid seeing anyone of another race, if you catch the drift. Let them enjoy Brighton and South Lyon, go for Detroit, Wyandotte, Ferndale or another urbanized inner ring suburb.

Thank you for the helpful info. How would Corktown compare to Indian Village? I am going to start looking into it now!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM

Indian Village is far nicer but in a more extreme position within the city. Corktown is not fully gentrified and still has boarded up houses in spots, etc. A lot of the most expensive properties there are lofts.

In Indian Village, you will have to drive more to do things that require you to leave the city.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM

It seems like Indian Village from what I have read is surrounded by some really tough neighborhoods. Are there areas of IV that are safer than others?

Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
School districts will matter for re-sale. There are not a lot of people like you looking for high end houses who do not care about schools.

Both Boston Edison and Indian Village are kind of Oasis type places. There is greater danger than some of the subrubs you can afford, but also you are closer to where all the action is. Boston Edison has its own security force. Not sure about Indian Village. You will be able to afford a humongus Turdor home with cool history. (Maybe even 10,000 - 15,0000 s.f. if you want that big).

$800K will get you a really nice old Tudor mansion in either neighborhood. However it would also get you a substantial waterfront property in an extraordinarily safe suburb within an hour of the city. Where I live for example, you could get a nice large historic or newer house with a dock, facing Canada over about 2 miles of water. Glorious sunrise views, the safest or second safest community in Michigan with outstanding fire, police and community services and amazing community amenities. About 35 - 40 minutes from the city (longer to get home for the next 2 years since the freeway is closed). It might not be the 10,000+ square foot house you can get in Indian Village or Boston Edison in your price range, but it would be substantial.

Another area you might consider in the city is Palmer (Park/Village I forget what it is called). Where Detroit Country Club is located. Very nice area, beautiful homes.

You will not find $800K homes in Corktown except possibly in a newer condo, but even then I cannot think of any. You will find some fancy high rise condos downtown or midtown which right now are the best places in Detroit to live.

another great option for you while technically not in Detroit, it is basically surrounded by Detroit and very close to downtown is Grosse Pointe City. It was the IN place for a lot of the older big money families in the 1930s and 1940s and there are some amazing homes available. It is a very nice, very safe community.

If you look at a giant Tudor mansion (we did), do not forget to consider the cost of heating it. That can be well over $1000 per month in the winter.

There are so many really nice areas outside the city within an hour that you could look at a list would go on for some time.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Any of the Grosse Pointes would really be to the OP's liking. $800k in Michigan will get you almost anywhere.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett27 View Post
It seems like Indian Village from what I have read is surrounded by some really tough neighborhoods. Are there areas of IV that are safer than others?
The middle. (?). Not being a Smart aleck. IV is not that big, so it does not have "areas" so to speak, but the deeper in you go the nicer/safer it tends to be.

B.E. has some even scarier areas nearby/adjoining. However it has a private security force (which you have to pay for). There really are no nice areas with no ick adjoining/nearby. The best location for being self contained are midtown and downtown. With the Qline about to start running, I would probably choose downtown and just ride up to midtown for stuff. Midtown is cooler, but downtown is further away from most ick and has better architecture IMO. . On the other hand midtown benefits from the Wayne State University police and Detroit Medical Center security forces as well as Detroit Police. I really do no feel uncomfortable in either location, but I am big, male and scowl a lot. I do not think there are any homes per say available in either place. Just condos and apartments. There are some decent neighborhoods in the immediate area (Woodbridge, University).

Brush Park - the primary ick adjoining midtown and downtown (and right in between them) is being re-made into the stadium district. It will be new and modern and expensive - at least for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or