U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 AM

157 posts, read 108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Parking cars is easy. What happens after you park and walk away may be a different story.

Seriously folks, LP is just a hard core blue collar spot in suburbia that is unlike 90% of every other blue collar spot that has fallen on hard times through job attrition, poor teacher pay / school funding, lack of community opportunities / recreation, and the destruction of small-locally owned business.
\Really doubt what they need is another tax-exempt property sucking resources from an already impoverished municipality.
Thanks for the feedback. Repped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM

27,752 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Some churches are BYOC (Congregation).

There was a large church downriver that was like that. I forget the name, I call it the shopping mall church because it was in a mall for a while. We went a few times, it was a very loud rock concert with a multimedia sermon in the middle of it. They had funny yard signs all over the place. One day they picked up their whole operation and dropped it into another city (might have been Allen Park). I do not think many people mind something like that. They do not really draw from their local community anyway, but from the region and they bring their own people with them. their coffee shop or book/gift store might create some angst if it competes with local businesses and pays no taxes.

Downriver is heavily Catholic and not likely to change to one of the new rock and roll churches anyway, so if they are looking at moving an existing congregation to Lincoln Park, why would it be a problem? (unless they are wiccan or something that might draw harassment). If they are planning to create a new church and siphon members off of the Catholic churches, I will be amused to see how that goes. If they get unchrched people to join their congregation- that is awesome, maybe even a miracle.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some churches are BYOC (Congregation).

e.

It is indeed a BYOC with a small congregation. As far as I understood, it is a very small congregation with people from Oakland and Mccomb counties.currently they rent a building in Southfield

I did tell them that the Benzes, BMW s and Cadillacs may not be really safe at night. I would be happy to be wrong.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
It is indeed a BYOC with a small congregation. As far as I understood, it is a very small congregation with people from Oakland and Mccomb counties.currently they rent a building in Southfield

I did tell them that the Benzes, BMW s and Cadillacs may not be really safe at night. I would be happy to be wrong.
I am honestly curious....if the congregation is driving nice cars ("Benzes, BMW s and Cadillacs") and mostly living in Macomb and Oakland county why are they looking for a place downriver?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I am honestly curious....if the congregation is driving nice cars ("Benzes, BMW s and Cadillacs") and mostly living in Macomb and Oakland county why are they looking for a place downriver?
Downriver properties are cheaper. I guess that is the motivation.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,591,963 times
An opinion.
I do not like Lincoln Park, generally speaking. The houses there sit on tiny lots.
Barely enough space to get the car in back yard where the garage sits. Houses are crammed together. Is it livable? Probably.
I would not call it a garden spot. I believe differently as far as air quality is concerned. It is not that far from the Rouge, an area of industrial blight. Some of the worst I have ever seen. Bleak. You can very literally, in the true sense of that word,-sniff the Rouge Plant from Lincoln Park. In Dearborn, Dearborn Heights and Allen Park and Taylor. All over the place really. Hell, U.S. Steel is down there too. Severstal Steel also.
There are too, homes in these industrial areas, contrary to what one poster entered here. Not only the Rouge is located down there but the Marathon Plant is also located right in the Springwells- Southwest Detroit area- a known emitter of Toxic fumes. Hydrogen sulfide I believe it is. Restrictions on toxic emissions were recently lifted in this GOP run state.
The District has a lawsuit against the State and Marathon because people are becoming ill off the fumes from the Marathon plant, a refinery. The snow turns brown with a layer of soot so thick are the toxins emitted from the Refinery. Kids are suffering . Really.
Don't think for a second that these fumes stay right over the plant. The privacy fence is not holding the soot inside the plant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Downriver properties are cheaper. I guess that is the motivation.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 PM

142 posts, read 117,519 times
Its not good:
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

Even Taylor, which has always been a little iffy, fares quite a bit better.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,166,816 times
LP, especially the southern two-thirds of it, is pretty good. Fort and Dix both have myriad local stores and restaurants and big boxes are minutes away.

Don't sweat about Marathon and USS - the wind almost always blows the emissions away from LP.

Biggest drawback now is the horrible afternoon traffic, with all southbound I-75 traffic dumped onto Lincoln Park streets.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,591,963 times
The traffic will lighten up after the Huge bridge is completed , right ? The freeway traffic will be gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
LP, especially the southern two-thirds of it, is pretty good. Fort and Dix both have myriad local stores and restaurants and big boxes are minutes away.

Don't sweat about Marathon and USS - the wind almost always blows the emissions away from LP.

Biggest drawback now is the horrible afternoon traffic, with all southbound I-75 traffic dumped onto Lincoln Park streets.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM

27,752 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The traffic will lighten up after the Huge bridge is completed , right ? The freeway traffic will be gone.
This has nothing to do with the bridge. The I 75 is being rebuilt from Springewells to Northline. It is closed for southbound traffic for two years. I think we are now into the second year.

Supposedly, this dumps an extra 100,000 cars and trucks each day onto Fort street. Some of that spills over ont to Jefferson and some goes out 94 to Southfield road and then down Fort.

The new bridge will not impact any of this. The 75 work will be done by then. The traffic will simply go from the bridge to the 75. Same as it does now, only faster and possibly somewhat more volume.

All the stink from the riverfront plants blows over to Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or