U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 AM

14 posts, read 35,618 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
My parents are considering to move to Lincoln park Michigan. It looks like a nice city. I saw the low crime rate on trulia I don't know how accurate that is. They don't have any young children so schools isn't really a preference. I'm only concerned about safety. How safe is Lincoln park? It seems pretty quiet and peaceful
Please let me know
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
It starts with one thing I don't know why. It doesn’t even matter how hard you try. Keep that in mind, I designed this rhyme to explain in due time. All I know, time is a valuable thing watch it fly by as the pendulum swings watch it count down to the end of the day..

Wait, sorry, what? Oh, Lincoln Park, right. Yeah, my bad.

It's mostly exactly what you described. While certainly not the gem of the metro area, it's a decent little working class suburb with a disproportionately large number of people who work in manufacturing. Crime is roughly average nationally, though a little high compared to most suburbs in the metro. It has a low cost of living and lower household incomes. The schools are pretty bad, but you said that's not a concern, so I'd say that if your parents are just looking for a quiet, inexpensive, laid-back place to call home - I can't see how Lincoln Park would be bad. Interestingly from a demographic standpoint, it has one of the highest concentrations of Hispanic or Latino descent in the whole state and they hold an annual city-sponsored Cinco de Mayo event, though last year they held it on Siete de Mayo, but whatever - still cool.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Lincoln Park is one of the cities downriver that I would not want to live in. It is a combination of crime and just general ick. Lincoln park is very run down and does not seem to be improving much like so many other suburbs. Crime is all relative. Ecorse is or seems rougher/nastier than Lincoln Park. Allen Park is or seems safer and nicer. Wyandotte - much better. Trenton even better.

Unless it improves, the only reason I can see to live in Lincoln park is incredibly cheap real estate. Maybe if you needed to be able to ride a bicycle to Detroit.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 35,618 times
Thanks everyone!
The area I'm looking at is very close to Allen park. Mostly Allen park schools. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that bad? Also, I've heard that the job market is improving in Detroit and I've heard it's better than before? Is Hamtramack worse than Lincoln park or is it the same? Thank you so much to whoever replied, much appreciated!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 AM

Allen Park is nicer than Lincoln Park. It is smaller and has less to it, but generally nicer. Allen Park schools are not great. If you are looking for decent schools you need to get down a little further Trenton, Riverview, Woodhaven, Brownstown. I am not sure about Southgate. Not Taylor or Wyandotte. While Wyandotte is a neat place and could be fun to live in, the schools are not so good.

As you go downriver, the further you go, the nicer it gets and the better the schools are. River Rouge, Ecorse - Lincoln Park - Allen Park - Wyandotte - Trenton. You have a steady improvement in niceness and school quality. After Trenton it does not continue to get better (actually downgrades a little bit). Not counting Grosse Ile (which is expensive), probably the two nicest/best schools downriver are Trenton and Woodhaven.

Hamtrammak is nicer than Lincoln Park as a place to live IMO. Schools are bad through. It is also impossible to spell correctly.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 536,839 times
Check the air quality, which is usually the first reason for low prices in industrial areas. Asthma, emphysema, lung cancer, etc. may cost more than what they save on rent.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,707 times
I would not recommend Lincoln Park. Allen Park is a good city but has recently gone mostly bankrupt and the schools have suffered. Wyandotte is a great city to live in. Lots of restaraunts, churches, bars. Schools are good. The HS has college prep, vo-tech, horticulture, marketing, arts, etc programs. Lots of stuff going on here. Rec baseball and football for the kids. Competitive swim team for ages 5-18. Every 3rd Fri there is an event downtown with themes like BBQ throwdown, beer and wine crawls, shop local, art on the street, etc. It is located on the Detroit River and has a beautiful park and golf course.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Check the air quality, which is usually the first reason for low prices in industrial areas. Asthma, emphysema, lung cancer, etc. may cost more than what they save on rent.
What???

Never ever heard this before. Never saw or heard of anyone checking air quality or basing a real estate decision on air quality. I cannot see how it would make sense. Air does not stay put over one city. The air quality for Lincoln park will be the same as every other community within at least 5 miles. Lincoln Park is not an industrial area anyway. Not since about the 1990s. What day would you check it? You would need a havy cloud layer to hold pollution in enough to measure.

I am not aware of anywhere in Michigan that Air Quality is an issue of concern at all. Maybe the few houses left in the Del Rey area or the neighborhoods around the Marathon plan, but I think Marathon bought out all of those homes in the past few years.

The steel mills are gone, except US Steel on Zug island and even that is not a foundry as far as I know. No homes on or near Zug Island.

Where there are still homes near factories, it no longer makes a difference. Automotive factories produce no noticeable difference in air quality.

Now a sewer treatment plant - that can make a difference. That is stink though, not contamination.

Where in Michigan is air quality an issue that factors into residential real estate? I know of no place. Perhaps there is a place it is a "first factor" I can learn something new.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM

157 posts, read 108,708 times
Any updates on Lincoln park?

Some friends are looking at a church building, which might have evening services. Should they be worried about parking their cars etc?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Any updates on Lincoln park?

Some friends are looking at a church building, which might have evening services. Should they be worried about parking their cars etc?
Parking cars is easy. What happens after you park and walk away may be a different story.

Seriously folks, LP is just a hard core blue collar spot in suburbia that is not unlike 90% of every other blue collar spot that has fallen on hard times through job attrition, poor teacher pay / school funding, lack of community opportunities / recreation, and the destruction of small-locally owned business.
\Really doubt what they need is another tax-exempt property sucking resources from an already impoverished municipality.

Last edited by Yac; 02-21-2018 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or