U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 AM
 
12,504 posts, read 7,599,771 times
Reputation: 4756

Advertisements

What a difference 10 years make! Look at the number of post of people interested or planning on moving to not only the Detroit area......but the city of Detroit proper. The nature and tone of the post have definitely changed for the better. There is less "no hope gloom and doom" and more positive optimistic post.

Go Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM
 
124 posts, read 108,350 times
Reputation: 163
Really? I find this site to be extremely negative, but I guess it was worse before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,804,183 times
Reputation: 2624
I wasn't even on CD 10 years ago but I can imagine from remembering how it was when I joined. There is still alot of toxic negative people (on the internet and real life) who need to move out of state and let some more positive people come in. But things are definitely headed in the right direction fasho. Even the media has backed off of Detroit the past couple of years... thank God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM
 
45 posts, read 34,587 times
Reputation: 40
Good to hear that Detroit is picking up some momentum. God speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 PM
 
643 posts, read 360,344 times
Reputation: 121
It is very negative
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Really? I find this site to be extremely negative, but I guess it was worse before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 AM
 
12,504 posts, read 7,599,771 times
Reputation: 4756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
It is very negative
Don't forget that everything is relative. It's like the city population....yes...its still losing population but not nearly at the same rate it was losing population before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times
Reputation: 3554
Eh, there's a handful of negative people, but my perspective is that most regulars who post on this board are optimistic realists. We understand Detroit isn't Seattle, but we also understand parts of it are pretty nice and have fantastic potential for gentrification. It's a unique city. No other city experienced flight at the level Detroit did, but no other city has seen the post-bankruptcy return-from-the-dead that Detroit has either or a potential for redevelopment at the scale available in Detroit.

There are places where a middle-class family can live happily, if they know what they're getting themselves into. Alternately there are rather urban-feeling suburbs with tons of personality and character at prices that you'd never find near your coastal cities. Detroit is a special city with far more attractive qualities than not; I only hope the economy has diversified enough that it can weather the cyclical stagnation or even contraction of auto manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 10:23 AM
 
3,002 posts, read 3,149,827 times
Reputation: 2593
I'm very happy to see Detroit continue to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,826,305 times
Reputation: 10931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Eh, there's a handful of negative people, but my perspective is that most regulars who post on this board are optimistic realists. We understand Detroit isn't Seattle, but we also understand parts of it are pretty nice and have fantastic potential for gentrification. It's a unique city. No other city experienced flight at the level Detroit did, but no other city has seen the post-bankruptcy return-from-the-dead that Detroit has either or a potential for redevelopment at the scale available in Detroit.

There are places where a middle-class family can live happily, if they know what they're getting themselves into. Alternately there are rather urban-feeling suburbs with tons of personality and character at prices that you'd never find near your coastal cities. Detroit is a special city with far more attractive qualities than not; I only hope the economy has diversified enough that it can weather the cyclical stagnation or even contraction of auto manufacturing.
I can remember when much of Seattle was no go.

Heck, I can remember when hefty portions of San Francisco and San Jose were no go.

With the excellent CoL benefits and lots of infill possibility, the D may have quite a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
 
2,035 posts, read 2,094,759 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I can remember when much of Seattle was no go.

Heck, I can remember when hefty portions of San Francisco and San Jose were no go.


With the excellent CoL benefits and lots of infill possibility, the D may have quite a bright future.
Now you have my interest. When did Seattle, San Francisco and San Jose have no-go areas and hoods? What caused them to improve? (I would guess the tech industries). Were they just as bad as the rustbelt and southern cities are in recent times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top