U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 35,688 times

Advertisements

Thank you coldjensons!
Stats really can be misleading and it's much more helpful and comforting when hearing about other people's views and opinions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM

27,762 posts, read 65,634,564 times
Yeah well having said that. I do not have much to say about Dearborn Heights. My impression is you are far more likely to die of boredom and mundaneness than you are to be robbed. It seems pretty blah to me. I certainly agree with the poster who said stay away from parts that touch Inkster. Dearborn itself is not at all scary that I have seen. Some part of it are very foreign and that may make some people uncomfortable, and i have heard some pretty terrible stories from teachers in certain schools there, but overall, I would not hesitate to live in Dearborn. It is a pretty decent city, but iI would be picky about which area.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:00 PM

292 posts, read 204,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yeah well having said that. I do not have much to say about Dearborn Heights. My impression is you are far more likely to die of boredom and mundaneness than you are to be robbed. It seems pretty blah to me. I certainly agree with the poster who said stay away from parts that touch Inkster. Dearborn itself is not at all scary that I have seen. Some part of it are very foreign and that may make some people uncomfortable, and i have heard some pretty terrible stories from teachers in certain schools there, but overall, I would not hesitate to live in Dearborn. It is a pretty decent city, but iI would be picky about which area.

I hope you know many many Dearborn , Dearborn Heights and Metro Detroit people would rather die than live in Grosse Ille too. Many many would be bored and scared to death living there also. Crossing some dumb one way on one way off non scenic bridge just to go home everyday.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
I hope you know many many Dearborn , Dearborn Heights and Metro Detroit people would rather die than live in Grosse Ille too. Many many would be bored and scared to death living there also. Crossing some dumb one way on one way off non scenic bridge just to go home everyday.
You have never been here I see. That is OK. We do nto really encourage visitors anyway

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,819,418 times
Quote:
I am not following the back and forth about this and other threads, but I will say it is valid to ask what people think about crime in various areas regardless of statistics.

Statistics can be misleading. A shopping mall will result in huge larceny crime reports, but it is just shop lifting and bags taken form cars. that happens at all malls, not really a matter of concern if you are looking at a home 6 blocks away.

An oddball event that happens someplace once in forever can skew crime records. An otherwise crime free place that gets a Lizzy Borden will have a seemingly high violent crime rate, but it really doesn't. It is still a crime free place and Lizzy is not coming back. Detroit is a good example. You really cannot get any meaningful crime statistics about downtown or mid town because other areas bleed into the statistics and every definition about what constitutes downtown or mid-town varies.

Some places, like Grosse Ile for example have unusually low crime rates, and there is a reason the statistic do not show. It is an island accessed only by one of two bridges. thus, no one has any reason to go there unless they live or work there, and criminals have no where to go. If your crime is discovered, you cannot escape. Plus every car on and off the island gets videoed as it crosses a bridge.

Not defending or opposing the poster's actions, just point out statistics can be useless or misleading at times.
Every single one of your posts center around the fact that Grosse Ile is the most desirable place to live and all other cities only aspire to be as great. We get it. You think your downriver island is the center of the universe.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 AM

292 posts, read 204,616 times
Quote:
You have never been here I see. That is OK. We do nto really encourage visitors anyway

I have been there many times, matter of fact I manage a HVAC contractor that collects old cars that lives on Grose Ile, does he ring a bell. I stand by what I said it is a scary place to live for many many Metro Detroiters. I have spoken to many people downriver who would not be caught dead living there, to each his own a concept apparently you haven't learned to grasp yet in your old age

Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,933,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Every single one of your posts center around the fact that Grosse Ile is the most desirable place to live and all other cities only aspire to be as great. We get it. You think your downriver island is the center of the universe.
Hahaha...

Admittedly we all do this to a point, and it makes sense as naturally we like where we live - which is why we live there, but.. yeah.. this.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Try reading again. You can do better than that.

I do think it is one of the best places to raise a family anywhere, but I have not even said GI is the best place for us. I have often said it is not suitable for some people who would be happier elsewhere, especially young people. I have also said I sometimes wish we had selected South Lyon, Northville, Plymouth or Grosse Pointe for various reasons. I know you can read, how is it you can so fail to understand what you are reading and come away with such an absurd generalization? Either your minds is tricking you into seeing only what you want to or are convinced you will see, or there is a comprehension problem.

Oh is this the Canton guy?

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-05-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,819,418 times
Quote:
Try reading again. You can do better than that.

I do think it is one of the best places to raise a family anywhere, but I have not even said GI is the best place for us. I have often said it is not suitable for some people who would be happier elsewhere, especially young people. I have also said I sometimes wish we had selected South Lyon, Northville, Plymouth or Grosse Pointe for various reasons. I know you can read, how is it you can so fail to understand what you are reading and come away with such an absurd generalization? Either your minds is tricking you into seeing only what you want to or are convinced you will see, or there is a comprehension problem.

Oh is this the Canton guy?
I stand corrected. You often point out that homes in Grosse Ile are unaffordable for most, and that it is unsuitable for those who don't have all the money.

No. This is not "Canton guy." Would I be less suitable for Grosse Ile if I lived in Canton? Is there a form I need to fill out in advance? An interview process with prominent members of the Downriver community? Please advise.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. You often point out that homes in Grosse Ile are unaffordable for most, and that it is unsuitable for those who don't have all the money.

No. This is not "Canton guy." Would I be less suitable for Grosse Ile if I lived in Canton? Is there a form I need to fill out in advance? An interview process with prominent members of the Downriver community? Please advise.
No. I thought you might be the guy who got all upset because I said Canton has no downtown. You are clearly out of balance upset for some reason, I just do not know what it is.

There are some very affordable homes in GI, not a ton, but a few, depending on how you define "affordable". Even some apartments.

For the most part, someone on a tight budget looking to maximize their house or yard size for the money, is not going to find what they are looking for here. Taxes are also pretty high for Wayne County. Rentals are so rare, it is hard to say whether the rates are competitive with nearby places, but it is likely higher.

There are some condos, but mostly configured for families. There are no trailer parks. I think there might be 3-4 apartment buildings, one of which is for older people only.

GI is great for families and for retired people. It is not the best choice for young people, DINKS, or singles. The reason being it is quiet and natural rather than exciting. Nightlife is essentially 0. You pay for a lot of things such people are not interested in (excellent schools, bike trails, greenspace, community serives, events and amenities, outstanding public safety, low speed limits, no traffic). Mostly it is about water/boating.

There is very little diversity, especially in the eyes of those who consider Asian, Indian, and middle Eastern people to fall into the same cultural group as Europeans (i.e. "White"). There are very few black people, but I do not think they feel unwelcome, just not interested.

People who value keep up with the Joneses, conformity, trendiness, complaining, McMansion living, or sterile neighborhoods, will not like GI. It is more ruralish/gruff. Wild animals wander through yards daily. Dogs, cats, chickens also roam freely at times. Some people do not mow their lawns or paint their houses. The architecture of homes is extremely eclectic. There is no downtown to speak of.

People tend to be more easy going and laid back. The community still has a team effort approach to living, maintenance and the like. It is kind of a throwback to the 1950s some say. Intensely competitive people, people who want to impress others with displays of wealth, uptight people with hangups, are not likely to be happy here.

Not to say such people are prohibited, but they may not fit in very well and will likely be unhappy. There are better places for such people to choose. But yeah, I do not think you would be happy here (not sure you can be happy anywhere, but you clearly woudl not like it here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or