U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:56 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,929,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is very little diversity, especially in the eyes of those who consider Asian, Indian, and middle Eastern people to fall into the same cultural group as Europeans (i.e. "White").
People who consider Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern people to fall into the same cultural group as Europeans need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,819,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. I thought you might be the guy who got all upset because I said Canton has no downtown. You are clearly out of balance upset for some reason, I just do not know what it is.

There are some very affordable homes in GI, not a ton, but a few, depending on how you define "affordable". Even some apartments.

For the most part, someone on a tight budget looking to maximize their house or yard size for the money, is not going to find what they are looking for here. Taxes are also pretty high for Wayne County. Rentals are so rare, it is hard to say whether the rates are competitive with nearby places, but it is likely higher.

There are some condos, but mostly configured for families. There are no trailer parks. I think there might be 3-4 apartment buildings, one of which is for older people only.

GI is great for families and for retired people. It is not the best choice for young people, DINKS, or singles. The reason being it is quiet and natural rather than exciting. Nightlife is essentially 0. You pay for a lot of things such people are not interested in (excellent schools, bike trails, greenspace, community serives, events and amenities, outstanding public safety, low speed limits, no traffic). Mostly it is about water/boating.

There is very little diversity, especially in the eyes of those who consider Asian, Indian, and middle Eastern people to fall into the same cultural group as Europeans (i.e. "White"). There are very few black people, but I do not think they feel unwelcome, just not interested.

People who value keep up with the Joneses, conformity, trendiness, complaining, McMansion living, or sterile neighborhoods, will not like GI. It is more ruralish/gruff. Wild animals wander through yards daily. Dogs, cats, chickens also roam freely at times. Some people do not mow their lawns or paint their houses. The architecture of homes is extremely eclectic. There is no downtown to speak of.

People tend to be more easy going and laid back. The community still has a team effort approach to living, maintenance and the like. It is kind of a throwback to the 1950s some say. Intensely competitive people, people who want to impress others with displays of wealth, uptight people with hangups, are not likely to be happy here.

Not to say such people are prohibited, but they may not fit in very well and will likely be unhappy. There are better places for such people to choose. But yeah, I do not think you would be happy here (not sure you can be happy anywhere, but you clearly woudl not like it here).
How could I not be happy in Grosse Ile? It is the crown jewel of downriver. But I have one more question for you: Are homes in Grosse Ile expensive? Also a follow-up: Are there many homes on the market, or is there simply very little available?

Old 04-14-2017, 02:05 PM

27,767 posts, read 65,634,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
How could I not be happy in Grosse Ile? It is the crown jewel of downriver. But I have one more question for you: Are homes in Grosse Ile expensive? Also a follow-up: Are there many homes on the market, or is there simply very little available?
You could not be happy if you are looking for nightlife, lots of young adults, fast paced lifestyle, constant development. If you like trendy/modern; or Keep up with the joneses; if you prefer malls to forests or pavement to water. If you are self oriented rather than community oriented, fear open space/wild animals, or like to feel like you are in the action. Also if you hate the smell of woodsmoke, or despise chilren and puppies. Basically it is a good place for down to earth families and retired people. Otherwise, it is generally not a great fit. There are some exceptions. So there are a lot of ways you could not be happy there.

You also could not be happy if you are just a generally unhappy person who will not be happy anywhere.

You are correct it is the jewel of Downriver, unless you want more happening, nightlife, and a walk-able downtown in which case Wyandotte would be the jewel.

There are expensive homes in Grosse Ile. There are also inexpensive homes. There are no cheap homes that I know of. I can think of one that would likely sell for under $80K and some condos may be in that range. That is pretty cheap I guess. But realistically SFRs start at around $150,000 which I still consider inexpensive. I was recently surprised to discover quite a few in that price range. Median home value is $272,200 which is pretty high compared to adjoining communities, but lower than every community close to comparable in Wayne or Oakland county that I could think of. Given the fact there are quite a few absurdly expensive homes, there must be quite a large number below the median to average out the big ones. I suppose it depends on your reference for comparison. We came from Orange County CA where the median home value is $645,000. Compared to there, it is all cheap here.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-14-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or