U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 35,618 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! We r relocating to Michigan and I'm just browsing on all of the areas of Meteo Detroit to find a safe yet affordable place to live. I really liked Dearborn heights. Please let me know in detail the crime stats and if it is safe or not. It will be very much appreciated! 😊
Also, let me know your thoughts about hamtramak also.
TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifa105 View Post
Hi guys! We r relocating to Michigan and I'm just browsing on all of the areas of Meteo Detroit to find a safe yet affordable place to live. I really liked Dearborn heights. Please let me know in detail the crime stats and if it is safe or not. It will be very much appreciated! 😊
Also, let me know your thoughts about hamtramak also.
TIA!!!
Have you tried the search tool?

You can search this sub-forum for existing threads that discuss both places.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 PM

142 posts, read 117,519 times
People don't realize how bad Hamtramck is. The bars and nightclubs bring in their share of rowdiness and fights. Then, you also have to keep in mind what the surrounding areas are like. The areas bordering the city to the North and east are very impoverished and full of extreme blight. A densely populated city like Hamtramck, where suburbanites go to hang out, is a prime target for people living among the squalor surrounding it.
Dearborn Heights is a bit on the dull side but most of it isnt too bad. Avoid the areas that border Inkster. Inkster is bad. Real bad. So expect some spillover of its problems, mostly on the south side. Otherwise, Dearborn Heights is generally a pretty safe, lower-middle class suburb. a lot of it was built up in the 1950s so its a more established suburb with older housing. Not muh room left for new developments. Would I have a problem living there? As long as its not a neighborhood too close to Inkster, no, I wouldnt.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,923,401 times
Maybe just create one thread about multiple cities within Metro D? There are dozens - are you going to create a thread for each one?
Quote:
Please let me know in detail the crime stats
Anything else you'd like? Maybe do some of your own research on this very site? You're (presumably) an adult. Nobody is going to spoon-feed you stats, especially "in detail".

Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 35,618 times
For your kind information, I've been doing a lot of research. And I just wanted to see other peoples point of views, if you have a problem with that than just ignore these posts. We are people who don't know that much about an area and are seeking help. If you seriously have a problem with that than just mind your own buisness, no need to get rude.
Thanks!

Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
Overall Dearborn Heights is fine. It's crime rate index is slightly lower than national average which means you will likely be fine if you want to make a store run at night and stuff like that. It's not dangerous to live in by any means.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,861 times
Aside from sections of Detroit - there aren't really any "unsafe" suburbs. You could throw a dart at any of them and be fine.

It's more a matter of how well kept the buildings/housing stock is and the types of retail based off resident's average income.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,923,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifa105 View Post
For your kind information, I've been doing a lot of research. And I just wanted to see other peoples point of views, if you have a problem with that than just ignore these posts.
Hard data (crime statistics) are not "point of views" (sic). If you can't find cold hard numbers that are publicly available, you've not done your research. As for opening multiple threads about the same topic, I'd think common sense would dictate you not do that, but apparently not.

As for ignoring them - no thanks. C-D is a great forum in part because people care enough to provide input to new members on how to reduce thread clutter and not ask others to do their work for them (among other things).
Quote:
We are people who don't know that much about an area and are seeking help. If you seriously have a problem with that than just mind your own buisness, no need to get rude.
Thanks!
I'm sorry (that I'm not sorry), but there was nothing rude in my post. You were understandably unhappy with the criticism, so you perceived it as such (which, basically, is the indication to me that the shoe fits). C-D usually has no problem offering help (and I'm usually one of the first ones to volunteer), but you have to do your own leg work first, not ask people to spoon-feed you info that is readily available.

As for the topic at hand, Dearborn Heights's borders are rather oddly-shaped if you look at it on the map (attached). The northern and southern parts are actually fairly different. There is more violent crime in the southern part of the city, per CrimeMapping.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Dearborn heights Michigan a safe place to live?-capture.jpg  

Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM

21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
As a police officer friend once told me -- Any place is safe with a big enough dog and a gun...

Safe is a relative term? A place you can walk down the street to the corner store or bar? The Heights are safe.

A place where your kids can go to school and not be attacked or beaten? The Height are safe.

A place you can leave and be at work and not worry about the home front? The Heights are mostly safe, provide you work day shift...it gets a bit riskier working second shift and really sketchy if you work third shift.

Overall, I would give the Heights a 7+ rating in most of the city. A bit lower closer to Michigan avenue and a bit higher between Cherry Hill and Joy west of Telegraph.

In fact the Cherry Hill area between Telegraph and Inkster may be the nicest area of the Heights?

Old 04-03-2017, 03:50 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Hard data (crime statistics) are not "point of views" (sic). If you can't find cold hard numbers that are publicly available, you've not done your research.
I am not following the back and forth about this and other threads, but I will say it is valid to ask what people think about crime in various areas regardless of statistics.

Statistics can be misleading. A shopping mall will result in huge larceny crime reports, but it is just shop lifting and bags taken form cars. that happens at all malls, not really a matter of concern if you are looking at a home 6 blocks away.

An oddball event that happens someplace once in forever can skew crime records. An otherwise crime free place that gets a Lizzy Borden will have a seemingly high violent crime rate, but it really doesn't. It is still a crime free place and Lizzy is not coming back. Detroit is a good example. You really cannot get any meaningful crime statistics about downtown or mid town because other areas bleed into the statistics and every definition about what constitutes downtown or mid-town varies.

Some places, like Grosse Ile for example have unusually low crime rates, and there is a reason the statistic do not show. It is an island accessed only by one of two bridges. thus, no one has any reason to go there unless they live or work there, and criminals have no where to go. If your crime is discovered, you cannot escape. Plus every car on and off the island gets videoed as it crosses a bridge.

Not defending or opposing the poster's actions, just point out statistics can be useless or misleading at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or