U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,462,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Except according to this article that Windsor is so cheap, one person has 3 houses:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/w...place-on-earth

Are Americans allowed to buy Canadian real estate?
Lol, that article is pretty silly and outdated. The city's economy is stronger than it has been in decades, unemployment is at 5.1%, and its housing market has never been stronger, average home prices for the region have increased 20.5% in just the past year, from $216,000 to $261,000. New homes can't be built fast enough and bidding wars happen on almost every decent home that hits the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

384 posts, read 287,918 times
In case I travel to Detroit, I may be staying at a Windsor hotel since it's surprisingly cheaper. Would it be weird if I go back and forth through the tunnel twice a day? Just wondering because it usually requires a passport ID. Who goes in and out of the country twice a day right?

Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
Quote:
In case I travel to Detroit, I may be staying at a Windsor hotel since it's surprisingly cheaper. Would it be weird if I go back and forth through the tunnel twice a day? Just wondering because it usually requires a passport ID. Who goes in and out of the country twice a day right?
Why not stay in one of the suburbs? Logistically that's probably a lot easier, and cheaper than paying 4 toll crossings each day. Also, that article made me really lose a lot of respect for Vice. I give that publication very little credibility. Don't get me wrong, Windsor is boring, but the rectum of the planet? Not even close. That being said I already held Vice only about half a step above Buzzfeed.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,802,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Why not stay in one of the suburbs? Logistically that's probably a lot easier, and cheaper than paying 4 toll crossings each day. Also, that article made me really lose a lot of respect for Vice. I give that publication very little credibility. Don't get me wrong, Windsor is boring, but the rectum of the planet? Not even close. That being said I already held Vice only about half a step above Buzzfeed.
I never been to Windsor but I heard it's actually a pretty cool place. Especially if your 19 or 20.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 AM

939 posts, read 843,381 times
Windsor is no longer the go to place for American teenagers looking to party due to the passport thing... it's downtown has suffered a bit for it. That being said, it's still around the 15th largest metro area in Canada so that is something.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,709 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wanted to point out:

WALKABLE MAIN STREETS
Windsor has 4 sizeable, vibrant walkable, charming commercial districts outside of its downtown (as well as a few smaller ones like Pillette Village)

Little Italy

Olde Walkerville

Ottawa Street

Asian Restaurant District near University of Windsor - greatest concentration of Asian restaurants in the region.

DOWNTOWN
No street in metro Detroit has the concentration of bars and nightclubs that Oullette Avenue has. Downtown also has an indoor water park

RIVERFRONT
Windsor's lush green riverfront with War Memorials and separate levels for bikes and pedestrians, puts Detroit's sterile pavement Riverwalk to shame.

I wish we had a riverfront park as beautifully landscaped and appointed as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sl-YGEKZ7o

HISTORY
Windsor has history - the first battle of 1812 was fought in Windsor, Rum-Running during Prohibition, Canadian Club Whiskey

DIVERSITY
Windsor has crazy diversity - The fourth most ethnically diverse community in Canada; 27% Foreign born population; White natives, European immigrants, black (West Indies and descendants of escaped slaves from the Underground Railroad), Latino, Middle Eastern, Indian-Asian, Southeast Asian immigrants. Walking thru the Middle-Eastern commercial strip on East Wyandotte it feels like you are walking thru a bonafide immigrant neighborhood in a big city.

FOOD
Windsor has its own style of Pizza

Last edited by usroute10; 06-02-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 04:48 PM

1,649 posts, read 3,708,399 times
Quote:
I was just in Toronto and looked at Chinatown. It was OK, but I'm curious if Windsor's Chinatown is any better? I liked Toronto but it may be too big for me and felt almost like Chicago.
Toronto's main downtown Chinatown is gigantic compared to the small Asian district in Windsor, although Windsor is still impressive in the fact that for such a small city it does have distinct ethnic neighbourhoods/commercial areas such as Little Italy and whatnot.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Where I live (Baltimore) only has a Little Italy, there's really nothing here. I think Windsor should be better than Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto's main downtown Chinatown is gigantic compared to the small Asian district in Windsor, although Windsor is still impressive in the fact that for such a small city it does have distinct ethnic neighbourhoods/commercial areas such as Little Italy and whatnot.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM

the list of hotels on hotels.com has Windsor hotels/motels only about 3 miles from city center of Detroit. The suburbs, the closest and cheapest one would be 11 miles from city center of Detroit. Just wondering how much is the toll per entry? It isn't an EZ-Pass toll is it where it's $3 per toll entry (where I live).

Quote:

Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM

781 posts, read 619,983 times
To answer the OP's question....

Yes US citizens CAN buy property in Canada...BUT that does not allow them to LIVE IN Canada.

In order to live and work in Canada ....a US citizen must apply and be approved as an Immigrant, by the Canadian Government. That process involves a very detailed application process, and the main criteria is having the education, and actual working skills that Canada needs at the present time. The points score program requires a minimum score of 70 to even be considered. Scores below 70 are automatically denied.

US citizens can VISIT Canada for up to 6 months in any 12 month period of time. BUT they cannot work, attend school, or use any of our social services benefits. The CBSA MAY restrict the period of time granted to as little as 14 days, if the officer feels that the traveller may attempt to over stay their visit .

US citizens do not get any special treatment. They must meet the same regulations and standards as any other applicant., from any other country who is seeking approval to be an Immigrant here.

xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit