U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 PM

142 posts, read 117,706 times

Advertisements

I do some delivery work(we use our own cars). Most of the time its in pretty nice areas. But the other day, i was offered a delivery to a customer right near 7 Mile and Gratiot. I refused due to safety concerns. I am caucasian, late-30s, drive a crappy rustbucket, I'm not flashy and dont wear nice stuff. But I did not feel safe even going to that neighborhood, let alone with delivery gear that gave the impression that I might be carrying cash.
I told this later to an acquaintance of mine. He is black, older, and lives in the city. His response? "Oh, heck no. I myself wouldnt go into that area. I'd probably get robbed". So, I asked him, as a white guy from the suburbs, are there really places where I would not be welcomed or worse? He said yes, Dexter/Linwood/Davison is an area I should never go into, and also to avoid Highland Park. Then I asked him, as a black man, does he fear any areas? To my surprise, he said Allen Park and Troy, especially at night, due to police harrassment. He also mentioned the same areas (Dexter, et al) as places where he feels are major safety threats.
Are there cities or neighborhoods where anyone here is afraid to go either due to their appearance or due to perceives crime/safety concerns? Or if you worked for a delivery or courier service, are you afraid to go certain places due to hightened fear of a robbery? If so, where? Likewise, do you think some areas get a bad rap and people fear them even though the threats are not as likely as many perceive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 12:56 PM

292 posts, read 204,519 times
I hope you know that women work for the USPS , Fedex and UPS and they deliver to 7mile and Gratiot everyday.The only concern you should have driving a rust bucket in that area is not being mistaken for the numerous white people trying to score and get high over there. AS A DELIVERY DRIVER YOU SHOULD BE ON HIGH ALERT EVERYWHERE. And to the supposed black guy who said he is afraid to go to Allen Park I bet he don't know Allen Park is where the Detroit Lions practice and it is down the street from all the Dearborn landmarks, Greenfield Village, Fairlane etc. PS people are always running their mouths embellishing things especially when they have nothing else to talk about.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times
Provo, Utah - the place gives me the willies

Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
The Tunnel in the Star Fort at Fort Wayne is pretty spooky in the dark.

There are some neighborhoods between Southfield and Downtown, where I have been very uncomfortable stopping for gas late at night. Not sure exactly where that was.

The Bowrey in New York 1983 at 1.40 a.m.

Hanging off a cliff along Highway 1 in California where I stupidly pulled over on a whim to climb and a sandstone ledge gave out under one of my feet. I hope I never have to go there again. Probably the scariest place i have been.

Parts of Tijuana. Part of Baja Mexco where a guy in a sandbag tower pointed a .50 cal machine gun at my head while they searched our van. Getting robbed was only a small concern at that time. I was hoping the kid did not have a cold. Pretty sure the safety was off.

Back to Detroit area: Inland from Jefferson in Del Ray. Mostly because it is eerily empty.

Part of River Rouge/Ecorse I drove trough the other night trying to get to Jefferson, semi lost. I did not realize I stood out so much, but a guy waved me to a stop and said "A white guy in a suit don't belong around here. Lock you doors and get over by the water." It was 40% amusing, 40% frightening, and 20% don't care, but I took his advice.

There was a street in the Mexican Village I turned onto by mistake some years ago (about 2006). Four or five youths in hoodies walked into the street in a line and help up their hands telling me to stop. I encouraged them to move quickly out of the way, but it was somewhat frightening.

I have ridden through some areas with the Slow Roll group that I would not care to return to alone at least not on a bicycle or on foot. Not very many places and I am not sure where we were. One was a ride that went through Hamtrammack. While the Hamtrammack part was nice, somewhere just outside Hamtrammack was very not nice. I do not know where the other scary area was - we rode by a closed GM factory. Someone on the ride said it was once a Cadillac factory (like in the 1950s or so). Most places - the residents were just curious and generally friendly, even though we blocked their road for half an hour or so. Slow Roll is generally safe anywhere since we have 2000-5000 or more people and a bunch of police cars.

Back in 1980 some football players from Brighton chased us down and robbed us. I cannot remember what we did to antagonize them, but we had a merry chase at well over 100 mph until we accidentally went down a dead end road in new Hudson. They took our moeny, then put their car in a ditch and came back for help getting out. We had to help them because they were blocking our way out. While we pushed their car out, I tore the license plate off the car. Turned out the car belonged to a Brighton police sergeant. Still Brighton scares me a little. I avoid their football players if I go there.

Anotehr place I do not like to go for fear of being robbed in the subway in Los Angeles very late at night. I was waiting for a train one evening and a homeless guy asked me for change. I happened to have a bunch of gold dollar coins in my pocket so I gave him one. Suddenly there were five others surrounding me demeaning I give them some too. I thought the subway station was empty when I went into it, but these people cam form somewhere. The train came and to the doors opened, but I could not get on because I was surrounded by people grabbing at me and demanding money. I took out my handful of gold dollar coins, held them up and threw them over by the stairs. As they scrambled for them, I jumped on the train ans was whisked away to the safety of union station. So the Subway in LA is a place I avoid at night for fear I might get robbed. Downtown LA in general. At least after 10 p.m.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-03-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 AM

979 posts, read 1,117,336 times
Yeah, I'll second the comment about Delray simply because its so desolate and the only people really left there appear to be some combination of really down on their luck, severe cases of substance abuse, or up to no good.

A few years ago we were doing an industrial salvage job down in Delay and we had to go into some fenced-in industrial properties back near the waste water treatment plant. We brought in about 8 guys for what really could've been a 2 man job. We had guys waiting in their trucks at the front gate packing heat, we had guys with us on foot in the lot also packing heat.

Fortunately we just had some bums and drunks come by, interested in what we were doing but our biggest fear was if a group of guys came by to hold us up as we were particularly vulnerable at a job site and also in a fenced-in area with limited access if they held us in at the gates. There were tons of liquor bottles, syringes, shotgun shells, etc all over the place.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM

21 posts, read 17,392 times
Delray, although it's so barren that you probably won't run into any trouble because there's nobody there to give you trouble.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM

142 posts, read 117,706 times
Its interesting that people single out Delray. for sure, that neighborhood is sparse and heavily barren. But how is it worse, or scarier, than other similar neighborhoods? I think the area just west of the airport, off French Rd, is even more empty. For that matter, so is Warren and Chene, over near St Albertus.
I still think the Northeast side is worse because of all the remaining vacant houses. In Delray, there arent a lot of places for people with bad intentions to hide with all that open land.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:41 PM

1,560 posts, read 538,455 times
A traffic ticket in the Grosse Pointes could clean me out.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,314 times
I'd be scared to go into any Burger King - do you know how many grams of fat are in a whopper? It will leave you for dead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit