Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I always saw them as two liberal college towns surrounded by more conservative rural areas.

Must admit that I have no first hand knowledge of AA (or of Madison), but I'm still surprised to hear that AA has become more conservative than Madison.
It seems like Madison continued with progressive ideas and education where UM went for corporate funding and Jim Harbaugh's LOVE IT OR LEAVE mindset.

State Street in Madison is still full of funky eclectic shops where as UM is full of franchises and chain stores.
I see Ann Arbor neighborhoods as a whole as being much more progressive. Madison just has Willy Street and a few blocks on E. Johnson outside the Campus area that are funky independent shops.

So the cities are opposite (AA being progressive) and the colleges are as well (UW being progressive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,805 times
Again, that's because Ann Arbor is smaller (being hemmed in by Detroit sprawl and state annexation laws... Scio Township, Dixboro, Pittsfield should all probably be absorbed into the city proper) and thus more affluent and expensive. Madison's average home price is $227k, Ann Arbor's is an absurd $336k. So chain stores are increasingly the only entities that can afford Ann Arbor's rents, Five Guys closed their State Street store because it was one of the most expensive in the entire midwest.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM

27 posts, read 37,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkajiya View Post
I am a college student looking for a place to live for the summer. Is 8 mile rd and telegraph rd a safe area? I have never been to Michigan before, let alone Detroit, so I have no idea what to expect. What are some good areas in Detroit/Southfield/Farmington hills?
It's abandoned mostly stay away from 7 mile and you'll be fine. Anything below that yikes.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM

202 posts, read 250,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It seems like Madison continued with progressive ideas and education where UM went for corporate funding and Jim Harbaugh's LOVE IT OR LEAVE mindset.

State Street in Madison is still full of funky eclectic shops where as UM is full of franchises and chain stores.
I see Ann Arbor neighborhoods as a whole as being much more progressive. Madison just has Willy Street and a few blocks on E. Johnson outside the Campus area that are funky independent shops.

So the cities are opposite (AA being progressive) and the colleges are as well (UW being progressive)
On a whim, I ended up going to AA when I had a sticker for a Republican candidate on my car. I was absolutely certain that I would return to find my car vandalized. If you are right of center and outspoken about it, AA is not a real comfortable place. Recently, several students accused U M of being biased against Conservatives and it was ranked the most liberal school in Michigan. In general, they consider Obama to be just slightly to the right of Mike Pence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit