U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM

941 posts, read 846,565 times

Advertisements

It's a supply and demand thing, why would you live in a garbage ranch or bungalow when you can live in a much nicer home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:03 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,936,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
It's a supply and demand thing, why would you live in a garbage ranch or bungalow when you can live in a much nicer home?
Because the "nicer" homes are typically in far-flung places like Rochester Hills or South Lyon, or they cost half a million dollars. I know many people disagree with this, but for me, that "garbage" bungalow or ranch starts to look more an more appealing with each and every 45 minute one-way commute until one day, I drive by it, 2/3 of my way into the office, and what I see is a "quaint bungalow or ranch in a nice little community that would save me an hour per day of commute time."

And then I remember that obnoxious mantra about real estate being about location...

Old 04-06-2017, 01:59 PM

941 posts, read 846,565 times
The discussion concerned housing stock in Detroit, though... why would you prefer some 1940's 900 square foot bungalow to an older brick Tudor?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM

292 posts, read 205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
People in the D are way too picky about houses. Come live here in the Bay Area. It will cure you of your haughty expectations.

Don't confuse the people talking from their basement on here to most people who live in Metro Detroit. These are just people with too much time on their hands and need someone to give them some attention

Old 04-06-2017, 02:56 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,854,653 times
Quote:
The discussion concerned housing stock in Detroit, though... why would you prefer some 1940's 900 square foot bungalow to an older brick Tudor?
Hey ... don't harsh on mid century! That's classic stuff these days!

Seriously, the D / SE MI is a mecca for mid century.

I love Geo's neck of the woods. I would be all over SE Oakland, SW Macomb, and the relevant parts of city itself due to this fact alone. And if mid century don't float your boat, yeah, the classic old Tudors, the Craftmen, etc, etc.

So much good housing stock. No need to go for cookie cutter half way out to Chicago or half way up to the UP.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,854,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
Don't confuse the people talking from their basement on here to most people who live in Metro Detroit. These are just people with too much time on their hands and need someone to give them some attention
Ha ha!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM

4,124 posts, read 10,730,524 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hey ... don't harsh on mid century! That's classic stuff these days!

Seriously, the D / SE MI is a mecca for mid century.

I love Geo's neck of the woods. I would be all over SE Oakland, SW Macomb, and the relevant parts of city itself due to this fact alone. And if mid century don't float your boat, yeah, the classic old Tudors, the Craftmen, etc, etc.

So much good housing stock. No need to go for cookie cutter half way out to Chicago or half way up to the UP.
Show some respect for the 900 square foot 1940s wood bungalows. Those are half million dollar+ homes in my neck of the woods! And if they burned down, they'd still be close to a half million dollar homes because that's the value of the land.

But from what I've seen online, Detroit has a lot of solid housing stock that's practically being given away.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,274,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
No, in general, the westside HAD held up much better than the eastside. Before the mass exodus of black folks from Detroit starting around 2000, the MAJORITY of the residential neighborhoods on the westside were BLIGHT free, except for places like Brightmoor and Dexter-Davison-Linwood. Even Dexter-Davison wasn't THAT bad in terms of blight (now in terms of crime, yes, very bad even before 2000).

And the housing stock is, in general, is better on the westside. Much more brick homes and brick 2-family flats were built on the westside. The east side in general is older than the westside. The housing stock and age of the housing on the east mirrors the southwest side, which was built up earlier than the westside.

The west side has far more blocks that look like the below than the east side:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4154...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Another thing is the east side was generally poorer and the westside more segregated (if you go really far back). The eastside also got hit hard with drugs even though the westside had pretty bad crime as well.

Anyway, my point is I've never heard the west side being referred to as 'the crown jewel' of Detroit. Certain neighborhoods definitely, but not the whole west side.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,936,911 times
A well maintained 1950's bungalow is a pretty fantastic house, based on the solid construction of the period and the superb layout of your typical bungalow from this era. I like the one I'm in right now more than I did my former 2000's rambler or my 1920's colonial, but I will admit that the "well maintained" part of what I'm saying is pretty important, and since we are discussing Detroit housing stock this is relevant.

There are some areas of Detroit that have been relatively well maintained, but I know even my friends' 1940's bungalow in Bagley shows some signs of age and wear that you rarely see in homes in the SE Oakland/SW Macomb County areas. If I'm comparing equally poorly aged homes from 1900 and 1950 (as you often find in Detroit since the deferral of upgrades/maintenance would've begun roughly around the same period for both homes) - yeah, I'd probably prefer the one from 1900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or