U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,724 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have been looking into moving to the detroit area. I have read a lot on the forums and done a lot of research, but I wanted to ask a few questions that I couldn't really find detailed answers to. I appreciate any help/advice.

Right now, I am living in Harrisonburg, Virginia. It's a city but it's small and boring and I want a change. I'm looking to move in a few months to a year. I'm very young, so I don't make a whole lot of money, and I doubt I could find a great paying job. But it seems like I could find a decent place for rent around the detroit area. Something one bedroom, for 1000/month or under, or maybe a 2 bedroom place if I move with a roommate, hopefully for 1500 or under. I don't need anything fancy. Just electricity, water, and internet. I would like to be a 30 minute drive or less from the city proper.

Tell me if that sounds ridiculous or if it sounds like a good idea or anything in between. In my free time I love to work on /fix up cars and race them, and it seems like there are lots of good places in michigan to do that. But, for those of you who know michigan better than me, tell me if that sounds right or if I am totally wrong. For those of you living in Detroit, what are some of the things you really like about the city?

Any other tips/advice would be appreciated, and feel free to tell me if I am way off or totally wrong about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 41,143 times
I'd say you have a good budget. I rented an apartment in Canton, MI for about $950 a month. The price did rise when I left, though.

You should look into how the move will affect your car insurance as it will probably go up.

Were you planning on seeking employment in Metro Detroit or did you have some funds saved up that you would be able to live for awhile while looking for a job?

I moved here just in 2015 from NW Ohio and personally, I love it. Columbus, Ohio was the only other large city that I have lived in and it was nice, and while driving through the city it looks much nicer looking than most of Detroit by quite a long stretch. Significantly better roads too. But there's more going on here. I like the revitalization of the city and I like what the suburbs have to offer. But I also liked that I'm still relatively close to my friends and family in NW Ohio. There's still a lot of negative things going on but I believe that the positives outweigh them.

I go into the city frequently mostly just to go to Meijer. But I try to go downtown/midtown every chance that I get and every time I do there's a new restaurant opening or something else being built. The metro parks are great too as well as Belle Isle. Also, don't forget about Ann Arbor. If you end up in some of the Western suburbs Ann Arbor is just a short drive and there's plenty of events going on there throughout the year that are worth checking out. The downtown Ann Arbor area is nice too but try to go during a time where where nothing is going on because during events such as the Ann Arbor Art fair, every place is packed and parking can be next to impossible.

I'm sure other members who have lived here longer can be more helpful but as someone who moved here from another state, I can't complain. I did come here weeks after graduating from college because I had a job lined up so as far as finding auto work, I can't help you there. There's plenty of shops around so I would think you would not have a hard time finding a job.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Your desired budget does not seem unreasonable for housing, but moving here with no job is not a very sensible concept. There are a lot of jobs for unskilled workers with a high school diploma but most are part time and few pay more than minimum wage to $10 an hour. What many youngsters seem to do is take on two part time jobs. They end up working more than 40 hours a week, but with one job, you will be lucky to average 30 hours.

The violable jobs are generally not very glamorous. Waiting tables, bus person, dishwasher, cook, housecleaning/janitorial, fast food, retail and the like. If you get lucky, you might find your way into one of the trades (electrical, plumbing, welding, carpentry, fire protection, etc). Find an employer willing to sponsor you through a union training program and you will be in pretty good shape. For example, a journeyman electrician makes around $70K a years working 40 hour weeks with paid vacation, holidays, sick time, health insurance . . . The demand is huge.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,924,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The violable jobs are generally not very glamorous.
I'd say...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Budget is fine. But I would still try to have a job lined up. You should start applying online now if your serious. Try the temp agencies first. I'll provide a list for you if you want.

What I personally like about Detroit? to make it short I like the culture, food, amenities, nightlife, shopping, events, people, entertainment options, how different many neighborhoods and suburbs are from eachother, proximity to outdoor activities and other great communities all around MI, and it's income to COL ratio (you get alot for what you pay and still have access to alot of great things).

But yea, I would look into job searching before I do anything, tell potential employers about your situation and see if they work with you.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 2,710 times
Road racing? Move to Waterford.
Drag racing? Move to Milan, Ubly, Stanton, or Kalamazoo

Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,724 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I definitely know that I can't get the most glamorous job, but I have a college education and a few skills so I think I would, at the very least, be just as good off there as I am here. COL in and around Detroit seems pretty nice compared to a lot of similar sized cities. I have a good amount saved up, but I would for sure try to have a job lined up before I moved there. I've got a while that I can plan things out. Maybe I sound sort of naive, but the way I see it, even with a low end job, I couldn't be worse off in the Detroit area than I am here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or