U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,163,977 times

Advertisements

Canton's not bad.

We weren't thrilled with the school system, so we ended up moving to South Lyon when we started looking for a more permanent situation.

A lot of people move to PCCS for the schools, but I don't really get that, as we kept having awful experiences with our son's elementary school and we weren't thrilled with how the district ran things.

My friends who still live there love the schools that their kids are zoned to, but they also highly aware that they chose to be in a school district that does things a bit differently (PARC) and that the system isn't for everyone.

However, we did like the amenities that Canton offered. Plenty of professionals live in Canton, so I'm not sure why it's being made out to be more redneck, working class than it is. It's really diverse. A lot of the houses do tend to be older housing (60-70's), but that's the nature of most older suburbs.

Part of the issue is that there's a lot of nice housing stock, but the houses are districted to crappier schools. Some of my friends down there do charter/private schools as a result.

Ford Road's a pain, but you get used to it. My family enjoyed the community center and the library when we lived there.

I really wouldn't have a problem moving there again, if I had to. However, the school district isn't the right fit for my kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 AM

27,784 posts, read 65,753,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
•Michigan's only World of Beer opened in October on Ford, west of Lilley, next to the La-Z-Boy store.
There is a World of Beer in Woodhaven. They plopped it right in front of a fitness center (LA fitness or somesuch), which I thought was funny. You cannot see the fintness center from the road anymore, just world of beer. (Forget fitness, come have a beer).

I wonder why they would write that in a 2017 article. WOB Woodhaven has been open for quite a while and construction started some time last year and I am pretty sure we knew it was coming in 2015. Simple mistakes are common in media, but to make an affirmative assertion that is completely false like that is weird. Where did they get that? Do they just make things up for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or