U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2017, 05:06 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,163 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

We are coming back to the area after being gone for 8 years. We lived in a subdivision in the Canton area before we had kids. How are the schools in this area? I am looking for a subdivision possibly in the Plymouth Canton area with lots of kids. My daughter will be in 5th grade soon in Middle School.
We would be fine moving to Northville, or Novi or Farmington Hills as well. Our prerequisites are, good Middle school, subdivision with lots or kids, closer to the airport than our 45 minute commute now. Our price range of home is $500,000 or below.
Any advice? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2017, 08:04 PM
 
169 posts, read 131,513 times
Reputation: 150
Stay out of Canton. It's declined over the last 8 years. If my budget was $500K, I'd be looking in Northville. The schools are the best of the 3 districts you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2017, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
Reputation: 32943
It does not matter which community your subdivision is in for the most part. Choose the one that has a house you like best. They all have safety, great schools lots of subdivisions. Canton, Plymouth, Plymouth Township, South Lyon, Lyon Township, Novi, Northville, Northville Township, Wixom, Salem, Ann Arbor Township, Farmington Hills, Walled Lake, Huron township, Saline.

Milford, Brighton and Brighton Township are also quite nice (especially near Kensington Metropark), but they have only good schools, not great. I am not sure it matters whether one school scores a point or two higher on some metric, but to some people it matters. It is more about bragging rights than any real benefit to the kids I think.

One thing I would avoid if I were you. If you go with Canton, stay away from the Wayne Western School district part of Canton. When you drop to the level of W-W there is a difference that could be meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM
 
2,173 posts, read 2,817,887 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It does not matter which community your subdivision is in for the most part. Choose the one that has a house you like best. They all have safety, great schools lots of subdivisions. Canton, Plymouth, Plymouth Township, South Lyon, Lyon Township, Novi, Northville, Northville Township, Wixom, Salem, Ann Arbor Township, Farmington Hills, Walled Lake, Huron township, Saline.

Milford, Brighton and Brighton Township are also quite nice (especially near Kensington Metropark), but they have only good schools, not great. I am not sure it matters whether one school scores a point or two higher on some metric, but to some people it matters. It is more about bragging rights than any real benefit to the kids I think.

One thing I would avoid if I were you. If you go with Canton, stay away from the Wayne Western School district part of Canton. When you drop to the level of W-W there is a difference that could be meaningful.
Also avoid the Van Buren portion. Make sure you are within PCCS boundaries if you do purchase a home in Canton.

I don't know a lot about PCCS other than they have had some enrollment problems the last few years which led to building closures. I believe others on here have had or currently have children in PCCS and can shed some light.

Northville and Novi are both top 15 school districts in the state. Farmington Hills is good, but considered a tier below Novi and Northville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,294,950 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Stay out of Canton. It's declined over the last 8 years. If my budget was $500K, I'd be looking in Northville. The schools are the best of the 3 districts you mentioned.
Could you elaborate on the decline of Canton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Could you elaborate on the decline of Canton?
Pretty much whenever I see someone claim that Canton has declined how I read this is a thinly veiled way of saying, "The town isn't as homogeneously white as Livonia anymore." - which obviously makes this an absurd statement.

Canton is a perfectly nice outer-ring suburb, even if traffic is an absolute nightmare on most of the "Mile" roads. Canton is a moderately-high income city with fantastic schools and lots of Post-1990 homes. It sprawls, and it is pretty damn boring, but nothing about Canton suggests any sort of objective decline other than a slowed population growth. This slowed growth is similar to Rochester Hills and Clinton Township, and is due to the cities having become built out and the pace of exurban flight having slowed significantly from its highs in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Their growth rates of 20-50% have fallen to a more established 3-8%, but none of the exurbs in Metro Detroit are "in decline." Even Pontiac is seeing revitalization at this point in 2017.

So yeah, OP, Canton is fine. It's super boring, but it has great schools, and if you like getting spending your Saturdays getting Swedish meatballs at Ikea or frequenting the city's unlimited supply of dry cleaners and strip-mall fast casual restaurants, then it would probably work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2017, 12:49 PM
 
2,173 posts, read 2,817,887 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Pretty much whenever I see someone claim that Canton has declined how I read this is a thinly veiled way of saying, "The town isn't as homogeneously white as Livonia anymore." - which obviously makes this an absurd statement.

Canton is a perfectly nice outer-ring suburb, even if traffic is an absolute nightmare on most of the "Mile" roads. Canton is a moderately-high income city with fantastic schools and lots of Post-1990 homes. It sprawls, and it is pretty damn boring, but nothing about Canton suggests any sort of objective decline other than a slowed population growth. This slowed growth is similar to Rochester Hills and Clinton Township, and is due to the cities having become built out and the pace of exurban flight having slowed significantly from its highs in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Their growth rates of 20-50% have fallen to a more established 3-8%, but none of the exurbs in Metro Detroit are "in decline." Even Pontiac is seeing revitalization at this point in 2017.

So yeah, OP, Canton is fine. It's super boring, but it has great schools, and if you like getting spending your Saturdays getting Swedish meatballs at Ikea or frequenting the city's unlimited supply of dry cleaners and strip-mall fast casual restaurants, then it would probably work for you.
Quite the opposite.

From what I have seen and heard, Canton is the new Westland. Lots of Trump voters. The decline is referring more to the working class moving in and professionals moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,294,950 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Quite the opposite.

From what I have seen and heard, Canton is the new Westland. Lots of Trump voters. The decline is referring more to the working class moving in and professionals moving out.
Where are the professionals moving to? The working class can afford all of those McMansions out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,294,950 times
Reputation: 1864
Commercial Development in Canton is still going strong

Canton's bustling Ford Road brings good shopping, traffic headaches - November 24, 2016.

•a new La-Z-Boy Home Furnishings and D√©cor store on Ford Road, west of Lilley

•The Shops of Canton, a new shopping center on Ford just west of Haggerty, is under construction and will house several businesses such as Tom + Chee, MOD Pizza and Starbucks, among others.

•Art Van has announced plans to build a 71,333-square-foot store at Ford and Haggerty and open in late 2017 across from the IKEA, which has had a major expansion of its own.

•Two new four-story hotels are taking shape on Ford Road near the southbound Interstate 275 ramp, bringing a combined 178 rooms. Construction is continuing on Towne Place Suites by Marriott and Fairfield Inn & Suites, which represent a combined $20-million investment in Canton.

•Michigan's only World of Beer opened in October on Ford, west of Lilley, next to the La-Z-Boy store.

•Fresh Thyme Farmers Market is building a 28,709-square-foot store on Morton Taylor, just north of Ford, behind the Target store.

•Black Rock restaurant opened a year ago on the site of the former Roman Forum eatery.

•Two new Mexican eateries now dot the Ford Road landscape, Qdoba at Haggerty Road and Chipotle at Lilley.

•Further west, Ulta Beauty, a salon, opened near Sheldon Road and a T.J. Maxx store is expected to open soon near Canton Center.

•Land on the east side of Lotz Road, south of Ford, has been rezoned residential amid expectations that a developer will build nearly 300 apartments and condominiums. Faas said the residences, in part, will be marketed to millennials.

You might be right, but I don't know. If this is true, then the Plymouth-Canton school district would also be going downhill. Is this the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Canton, MI
439 posts, read 671,507 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Quite the opposite.

From what I have seen and heard, Canton is the new Westland. Lots of Trump voters. The decline is referring more to the working class moving in and professionals moving out.
Still lots of professionals moving in. When home prices were at the bottom, some people did move in to take advantage that may have otherwise not been able to afford it but prices are back up again. Suburbs North of Canton seem to be pricing out some "professionals"

I've lived in Canton for 7 years now and my major complaint is the extremely poor condition of the roads due to the fact that we are a township. Our previous Supervisor had a contentious relationship with Wayne County and that put us on their sh*t list. Even our new one's solution to everything seems to be "call Wayne County and complain". I believe this is what we pay him to do.

People complain about the traffic and it is legit. There is traffic other parts of town, too. People who live here know the bottlenecks and thus stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top