Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times

Advertisements

Maserati's U.S. HQ said to be moving to defunct Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills

Maserati is headed to Auburn Hills offices

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...urb/100393894/

This is great news for the Detroit area. It will bring high-income earning, highly educated, and highly skilled professionals, and their families, to the area. Maserati is a subsidiary of Fiat-Chrysler.

**It would be my dream of dreams if they could build a new Chrysler Museum in "downtown" Highland Park as the start of an effort to revitalize Highland Park's little business district. Chrysler was headquartered in HP for over 70 years. I know it will never happen, just a fantasy.**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

**It would be my dream of dreams if they could build a new Chrysler Museum in "downtown" Highland Park as the start of an effort to revitalize Highland Park's little business district. Chrysler was headquartered in HP for over 70 years. I know it will never happen, just a fantasy.**
Why not?

The Woodward corridor is hot, pretty much from Campus Martius to the Pontiac loop. I know HP is a dumpster fire today, but Midtown wasn't exactly booming 20 years ago, and I doubt many saw the revitalization of Midtown/Cass coming. Even New Center has started to get on the action of being less terrible in recent years and Boston-Edison is becoming a popular place for people with moderate incomes to move. North End is still a bit of a dumpster, but at least it's no longer on fire and seems to attract more residents than it bleeds.

Go a mile west from HP and you've got University District, Martin Park. A half mile east puts you in Hamtramck. A mile north and you're in Palmer Woods which is objectively nicer than most suburbs. You've even got some new construction in Chaldean Town, which in my opinion isn't a nice place by any stretch of the imagination. Two miles north puts you into Ferndale, which is quickly becoming too expensive for the gentrification-types of the last 5 years.

Now I agree, Highland Park has a loooooonnng way to go and I probably won't even live in Metro Detroit by the time I'd feel comfortable going for a walk there, but you send a light rail up Woodward to 10 Mile (or further), increase police presence around the station/track due to presence of suburbanites, and I guarantee you Highland Park becomes the next place to see some surprising improvements and I think your Chrysler Museum would be a great reason to get off the HP stop and spend some money at the local shops and restaurants which would open due to market demands.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
Now if only we can get some of the other European luxury car makers to abandon New Jersey in favor of Michigan... even as a dyed-in-the-wool liberal I would be okay with our Republican overlords in Lansing offering some incentives to make it happen

Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPCF2tCtab8

Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
While its good news to see corporate relocations into Michigan this does need to be put in some perspective.

Maserati is a subsidiary of FCA and all thats really changing is their US-based offices which really only compromises mostly sales, marketing, customer service, and dealer services is relocating to the same campus as FCA. All of the manufacturing, R&D, and core of the brand is based in Italy. They are a low-volume luxury brand.

At best we are talking maybe ~100 employees, and its debatable how many will actually take the transfer to MI from NJ depending on their personal situation or they will be filled by existing Michigan based resources. Whenever there is a major relocation a sizable percentage won't relocate due to personal reasons (e.g. up-rooting their families, houses, spouses jobs, etc.)

Its more of a "prestige" thing to pat on the back if anything.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:18 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
While its good news to see corporate relocations into Michigan this does need to be put in some perspective.

Maserati is a subsidiary of FCA and all thats really changing is their US-based offices which really only compromises mostly sales, marketing, customer service, and dealer services is relocating to the same campus as FCA. All of the manufacturing, R&D, and core of the brand is based in Italy. They are a low-volume luxury brand.

At best we are talking maybe ~100 employees, and its debatable how many will actually take the transfer to MI from NJ depending on their personal situation or they will be filled by existing Michigan based resources. Whenever there is a major relocation a sizable percentage won't relocate due to personal reasons (e.g. up-rooting their families, houses, spouses jobs, etc.)

Its more of a "prestige" thing to pat on the back if anything.
But in addition, it brings 100 more high-paying jobs to the area, which increases demand for housing, retail, restaurants, and etc. It is increases the need for educated, skill professionals. (I know it's only 100 jobs, but still).

This is exactly the kind of company relocations we need in the area. We have so much of the "musical chairs" thing going on, with companies moving from the suburbs to downtown, or from the city to the suburbs. It's refreshing that some jobs were poached from another state. Hopefully, more poaching can be accomplished by the Detroit Metro. We have had our share of re-locations to other states in the last several years (Cadillac, Comerica, Pulte Homes, Honey Baked Ham)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit