U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times

Advertisements

Redford has more going on for it than Taylor, undoubtedly, but I'd still consider Taylor to be safer based both on crime stats and the look/feel of the main commercial districts (along Telegraph) through each town. Redford also has a more "Main Street" type commercial district along 5 Mile which is nice. I've walked that and had lunch there a couple times and never felt in danger, but I don't know that I'd walk down it at night. Also, I should admit that although I live in one of the more densely populated communities in the state, I do this because I believe urban living is better for my family and I like to visit the local shops; however, the heavily-repressed redneck side of me longs for a bit of open space and country as it makes me feel safe and secure. Taylor offers this. Redford does not.

And it's true - I actually don't know think I've ever stopped in Dearborn Heights and have only driven through on both Michigan and Ford. These are admittedly probably not the best snapshots of the town. It may be safer than Taylor, which based on statistics, it is.

Regarding CJ, why is his perspective invalid? I may disagree with it sometimes, but if I do I'm going to state why. This goes a lot further than just generally stating "Ignore him! He doesn't get it." He is right in his claims that income and education is lower which leads to a generally more working class community, but I believe he is wrong when he implies that crime is a significant issue or that schools are "poor". Crime is average and schools are.. well.. their test scores reflect those of schools typically found in working class communities, but the schools and staff appear to be quite functional and competent.

I wonder if OP has considered Allen Park at all? I like Allen Park. Solid bones, from an era of good urban planning, and I see this town going the way of some of Oakland County's inner-ring burbs over the next decade or so. If I were looking south of 8 Mile on a budget, Allen Park would probably be on the top of my list of places to look, along with the 7 Mile/Wyoming area or Springwells Village (Si, hablo espanol malo. Soy del oeste sur).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Despite Taylor's reputation, the city's main commercial thoroughfare, Telegraph Road, is quite robust with many national chain, local chain, and independent stores. Redford doesn't have a commercial strip like that.

Dearborn Heights is experiencing major Middle-Eastern spillover from Dearborn. Crestwood High School is becoming 1/2 Middle Eastern, and the city's Ford Road corridor has an increasing number of Middle Eastern restaurants, bakeries, and Hookah spots.

There have even been McMansions built in the north section of Dearborn Heights, like:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3246...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3324...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3315...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-18-2017, 01:30 PM

27,761 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Actually I was all geared up to move to Taylor some years ago. I spent a great deal of time researching statistics and opinions, talking to residents, I had a house picket out. Then I became concerned about the schools and actually visited them and talked with some teachers (who said I would have to be nuts to bring my family to Taylor when we could afford to live anywhere). Then I sat down with two Taylor policemen and discovered the crime statistics are generalized across the entire city. Many areas have much lower crime while other pockets have really terrible crime. There are some places you want to stay away from.

Since then I have watched Taylor, talked to friends we made who live there. Talked to and visited my wife when she worked there.

You always keep the "what if?" question in your head when you decide to live elsewhere. Is Taylor really all that bad? Think how much money we would have saved if we had moved there. So I continue to keep abreast of what is going on. I will always be curious about Taylor among other communities.

My conclusion is as stated, the schools were and are terrible. Not Detroit terrible, but not anywhere i would want my kids attending. Neighboring Livonia - much better. Plymouth, Woodhaven, Huron Township, all considerably better.

There are areas - specific apartment complexes and a trailer park where crime is pretty bad. Other areas are better. The area we were looking is pretty decent and has some nice amenities (on Northline Road backing up to Heritage park and walking distance to Southland and WCCC). However it was not a super nice house (although it has an indoor pool) and there were not a lot of super nice houses in the city anywhere. It was something we could make work and I wanted to be in bicycle or long walk distance of the place I thought I was going to be working.

And yes. I do know a lot about places in the area. It is a hobby. I grew up in Lyon Township and my family is all over that general area so I know it quite well. I also have a lot of friends from Wayne State University and U-M who are all over S.E. Michigan and many to most f them are at least active if not in some sort of leadership role. They keep me pretty well informed.

When we returned to Michigan from California, I spent more than two years studying every community within a reasonable range of DTW. Not only studying statistics, but going there, talking to people, meeting teachers, policemen, mayors, supervisors. Hanging out in diners or bars and listening or just going up to people and asking them. Most people love to talk about their community negative or positive. As we got serious about a particular community, I would attend PTO meetings, city council, or township board meetings, planning commission meetings, to learn not only where the place was at the time, but where it was going.

So I learned a lot about several communities and I like to maintain that knowledge. Sometimes I just go visit a randomly chosen place and find out what has changed or is changing. Plus I like to learn about communities where friends or family members live.

When my kids connected to Dearborn for a while, I went and learned everything I could about Dearborn. Same for Ypsi (plus I have friends and family in Ypsi).

So I spent a great deal of time learning about all these places, and now I am settled (but I still get stuck in the what if game at times). I still have a hobby of learning about places and keeping up with what is going on in various communities that interest me.

Having collected all this knowledge of areas, I desire to share it with people who are looking to move to the area. Someone may as well benefit from it. A lot of times I run afoul of people who are defensive of their hometown, because they have no standard to compare it to other places; or because they are caught up in what society tells them they should think is "nice" without ever really thinking about it; or because I think bland conforming places are boring; or for whatever reason they think my perception or opinion of a place is wrong. So yeah, I tick some people off. Usually because I point out truths to which they cannot rationally respond, so they just get angry.

Sorry, but Taylor schools are bad. Maybe not awful, but they are not someplace I would want relatives or friends sending their kids. that is just a fact. If you chose Taylor as a place to live, that fact may make you angry, but lashing out in anger does not make the schools better. Taylor is a place with very little going for it as a town. If you disagree - prove me wrong. List the things it has going for it. (I am pretty sure I already listed them). I always welcome anyone who will prove me wrong with actual facts. That is how I can learn more about a place. Is there some awesome Renaissance High type school in Taylor that i am not aware of? What is it called? Did the nasty apartment complexes and trailer park with all the crime problems get cleaned up? Say so.

If you just want to pitch an emotional fit and resort to name calling, personally, I am not interested (sorry if your feelings got hurted), but there may be some people who are really interested in name calling and unfounded statements like "Ignore that poster", so vent away. Someone will find it amusing or interesting I am sure.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 PM

27,761 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I wonder if OP has considered Allen Park at all? I like Allen Park. Solid bones, from an era of good urban planning, and I see this town going the way of some of Oakland County's inner-ring burbs over the next decade or so. If I were looking south of 8 Mile on a budget, Allen Park would probably be on the top of my list of places to look, along with the 7 Mile/Wyoming area or Springwells Village (Si, hablo espanol malo. Soy del oeste sur).
Allen Park is interesting. It is certainly the best of the inner ring of downriver cities (River Rouge, Ecorse, Lincoln Park, Melvindale) for comfortable living. It has some interesting businesses and a bit of a downtown. Because our family is large, we often went to the second run movie theater in town ($1.50). Allen Park had some nasty government problems that are hopefully over and wasted a huge amount of tax dollars on a movie studio complex that petered out. It has some decent housing stock. I have never looked into the schools much, but the friends who live there have said they are mediocre at best. Allen Park also has a historically very strong Kiwanis Club with some great people in it. They are very proud of their community. (I heard they are having membership problems this year, hopefully it will pull together they are a great bunch). Geoaggie, if you move there, please join Kiwanis.

What has really perked my interest lately are Ecorse and River Rouge. I have been forced to drive home down Jefferson lately and I am repeatedly enchanted with some of the things I see. Yes they are run down and in places scary, but they have a lively run along Jefferson Ave with a lot of interesting businesses and some taverns I think it would be fun to hang out in (I would need to dress tougher and not shave or something so I would not get thrown out on my rear), but it looks like a really fun area to sit and listen/learn. The housing stock is pretty decent too. Surprisingly some of it is fairly well maintained. I like the park with the helicopter and tank, and the waterfront park is well maintained and looks nice as well. I have only met two people who live there and my wife also worked there for a very short time (days) It scared the snot out of her to be left alone in the library, some pretty aggressive or weird people tended to drift into the library. And to walk to her car while being accosted by various characters was the final straw. Still I like the look of the area. The people out and about do not seem unfriendly, at least not along Jefferson. there are parts I drove thorough when trying to avoid a train recently where I not only felt uncomfortable, but i was told I did not belong.

I need to connect with some of my tougher friends and get them to go investigate with me. Just have to convince them to leave their MC vests at home. I saw a Jokers MC building there. Jokers had a place out near us when I was in high school - they are not someone you want to tussle with. Unless they have changed, they are pretty bad news.

It is amazing when you cross the bridge into Wayndotte. It is instantly way nicer. I wonder if they grouped all those beautiful houses right there just across the river on purpose? As soon as you cross over, it looks like Grosse Pointe, then it goes to commercial yuck for a while before getting to downtown. Were they intentionally trying to create a shocking change from Ecorse or was that just where the Wyandotte Chemical owners/managers happened to congregate?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 16,736 times
I grew up in Taylor, but I left years ago. My parents and several friends are still there. I have mixed feelings. Feel free to PM me if you need specific info on neighborhoods etc. I still know the area very well. If you aren't dealing with schools and choose the right neighborhood, you would be okay. I am moving back to Michigan in June, and it was not an area I considered. That being said, my parents and others have never worried about crime. It has definitely gone downhill as a whole over the years, but as others noted it is not high crime or the "hood."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit