U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 AM

14 posts, read 35,618 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. We just moved to Michigan an are planning to buy a house. We're going to be looking at some houses in Taylor Michigan. I just wanted to know if it was a relatively safe place. The place is for my parents they do not have kids. However I have two kids and we will be visiting regularly so good schools do not matter. I'm only concerned if it's safe. Any input would be appreciated and no rude comments please
Thanks ☺️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Taylor is quite safe. It is working class and blue collar, and people will call it Taylor-tucky (Taylor/Kentucky) as an attempted slant at painting it to be "redneck" or something, but it is a safe, family community, with good schools. It's everything you'd find in a suburb like Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, or Livonia, but you'll pay a bit less because of perception.

I know you've hosted a few of these threads asking about different cities and I've responded to a couple, but of the communities you've brought up so far I'd say Taylor is the one I like best if it were me. Of course we may have different things we're looking for, but generally speaking I don't think you'll find very many people who actually dislike Taylor. It's boring and suburban, but that's by design as that helps keep it safe and family-friendly.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Taylor is a run down lower end suburb with safe areas and less safe areas, it depends on where you are looking. There are a few apartment complexes and one trailer park that are notoriously crime ridden. I do not remember their names. Some parts of Taylor touch other cities and you do not really know whether you are in Taylor or the adjoining city. If you look at the neighborhood, you will probably be able to get some idea of the atmosphere.

Taylor issues are:

1. Poor Schools.

2. Generally lower income population = more people with economic and social issues.

3. Lower end housing. You are not going to find a lot of nice houses/apartments/condos there.

4. Generally less educated population.

5. Somewhat higher crime rate than many other mid-low middle class communities in the area (not as bad as Inkster, Redford township, Melvindale; not as nice as Livonia, or Southgate, or Woodhaven for example.)

There are exceptions to every generalization of course. It depends heavily on where you are and who you mix with. We know some absolutely wonderful people from Taylor. Without kids, it would not bother me at all to live in Taylor, except there are many nicer options very nearby. OTOH I am not sure it really matters lifestyle wise whether you drive three miles and cross a city border to find something cool, or live in that city but still drive three miles to get to the cool thing.

You can live in Taylor within walking distance of Southland mall which might have some appeal. You can also live on the edge of Heritage Park which would be really neat (traffic on Northline could be an issue). There are some neat historic homes here and there, and some nicer newer complexes scattered about. Some areas are sort of ruralish. Get to know the area. I would not want a house near the paintball park, nor right no the freeway, or too close to DTW, or near or in one of the problem complexes/trailer park(s). On the other hand, without kids there are quite a few places that could be nice. Do not rely on stats. Near south land mall for example, will probably have high crime stats due to shoplifting and car break in at the mall, but that is not going to have any impact on homes six blocks away.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM

292 posts, read 204,236 times
OP don't pay any attention to the above guy with all his built in bias. He reminds me of a guy who once read a book and is not fulfilled in his real life and comes on here to feel good about himself. Ask yourself, if you look at all his post you have to be litterly insane to think you are a expert on every nook and cranny in every city and county yet has never lived in none of them. OP, don't be lazy do your own research, reach out on facebook to real people who actually live there they will kindly discuss it. Then again, maybe he is getting paid for his bias opinions deliberately steering people

Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
OP don't pay any attention to the above guy with all his built in bias. He reminds me of a guy who once read a book and is not fulfilled in his real life and comes on here to feel good about himself. Ask yourself, if you look at all his post you have to be litterly insane to think you are a expert on every nook and cranny in every city and county yet has never lived in none of them. OP, don't be lazy do your own research, reach out on facebook to real people who actually live there they will kindly discuss it. Then again, maybe he is getting paid for his bias opinions deliberately steering people
CJ is super annoying, but, come on. Taylor is not nice by any measure.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
It's not nice, but if we compare it to OPs other threads where he's asked about Lincoln Park, Redford, and Dearborn Heights.. well.. I'd take Taylor over those, would you not? I've visited a friend who lives in Taylor and it feels fine. Boring, working class, just some place you go home to at night, but lots of people are looking for that exact thing.

SchoolDigger rates its schools as Meh, but not Terrible. I thought they were better (more like 3-4 star, but 2 star schools are unfortunately still pretty average for Metro Detroit, and we can't all afford to live in Oakland County.)
City-Data puts its crime rates at about US Average, which makes it lower that many nearby Downriver suburbs.
Median household income is $43,000 - which again, not great, but it's not Flint.

It's clear that based on the areas OP is inquiring about, he's not exactly rolling in investment accounts and residual income. If I were taking that perspective looking for an inexpensive, safe, clean, modest place to call home - Taylor wouldn't turn me off.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
It's not nice, but if we compare it to OPs other threads where he's asked about Lincoln Park, Redford, and Dearborn Heights.. well.. I'd take Taylor over those, would you not? I've visited a friend who lives in Taylor and it feels fine. Boring, working class, just some place you go home to at night, but lots of people are looking for that exact thing.

SchoolDigger rates its schools as Meh, but not Terrible. I thought they were better (more like 3-4 star, but 2 star schools are unfortunately still pretty average for Metro Detroit, and we can't all afford to live in Oakland County.)
City-Data puts its crime rates at about US Average, which makes it lower that many nearby Downriver suburbs.
Median household income is $43,000 - which again, not great, but it's not Flint.

It's clear that based on the areas OP is inquiring about, he's not exactly rolling in investment accounts and residual income. If I were taking that perspective looking for an inexpensive, safe, clean, modest place to call home - Taylor wouldn't turn me off.
Aside from the portions that border Inkster, Dearborn Heights would be far more preferable to Taylor. Especially the northern portion of Dearborn Heights.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post

Actually that is your perspective based on events in YOUR life. You know nothing about the OP, where they come from, whats their budget,what type of people they don't mind being around etc.Thats is why they need to speak with actual residents themselves. I know too many many people Taylor would be step up from where they came from.I know plenty people who moved there and love it, who are you to say they are wrong.You have to learn how to deny yourself, I know that is a hard concept for some but sheesh. Anyway I thought the question was IS TAYLOR SAFE , but some can't help themselves and have to write a doctoral dissertation about what THEY don't like.

Last edited by ekman243; 04-17-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

I wouldn't. You actually might have the heights confused with Inkster since their right next to eachother. Most of Dearborn Heights and Redford is nicer than most of Taylor to me and has better proximity to more amenities. I just don't like the semi rural feel of Taylor. But yea Taylor for the most part is pretty safe. Their biggest crime hotspot is probably Southland mall because of thefts and stuff. But it's defiantly not the hood.

FWIW I think CJ puts in alot of time to bring in some good info on here. Especially to people from out of state since he is from Cali. I don't always agree with him but I realize he lives Downriver in Grosse Ile so his experience of the region will be a bit different than mine or someone else. I actually don't think there is no other poster that knows Downriver better than he does.

Last edited by MS313; 04-17-2017 at 11:06 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I wouldn't. You actually might have the heights confused with Inkster since their right next to eachother. Most of Dearborn Heights and Redford is nicer than most of Taylor to me and has better proximity to more amenities. I just don't like the semi rural feel of Taylor. But yea Taylor for the most part is pretty safe. Their biggest crime hotspot is probably Southland mall because of thefts and stuff. But it's defiantly not the hood.

FWIW I think CJ puts in alot of time to bring in some good info on here. Especially to people from out of state since he is from Cali. I don't always agree with him but I realize he lives Downriver in Grosse Ile so his experience of the region will be a bit different than mine or someone else. I actually don't think there is no other poster that knows Downriver better than he does.
But the problem is in his mind he knows eastside Detroit, westside Detroit, Oakland county, Macomb County, downtown Detroit, Midtown Detroit, Ann Arbor etc better than the people who live there, don't you think that is kind of narcissist or in real life a dream deferred..But maybe birds of a feather flock together and it is just one big circle jerk. Again, the original questioner wanted to hear if Taylor is safe or not, why all the I don't like this or that and comparing it with other cities nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit