Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 AM

420 posts, read 458,361 times

Advertisements

Detroit is the "east coast" of the midwest...I like that.

Chicago is like the far midwest, ala North Dakota-ish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Chicago does feel more isolated but not completely isolated. Detroit just happens to be the biggest city next to a ton of other decent sized cities. It's somewhat like the east coast in that regard.

With Chicago it feels less isolated north and east of the city but if you go south or ESPECIALLY west of Chicagoland (past Joliet or Aurora) you almost instantly feel like your in the Great Plains of Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, ect. Chicago has the benefit of drawing people from 8+ hours away who just want to get away from the world of cornfields for a while and experience a big city.

I went on a plane ride a couple times from Vegas to Detroit a few years back and it's shocking how empty it is after we flew over Chicago... it's like civilization just stopped after we got pass the west suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 PM

95 posts, read 118,635 times
I ran the numbers using this US census data service: CAPS10C - Missouri Census Data Center

With 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 mile concentric circles around Detroit and Chicago, the populations look like this:

Detroit:
5,105,096 - 50 miles
9,271,229 - 100 miles
15,762,059 - 150 miles
22,323,561 - 200 miles
38,451,837 - 250 miles (Detroit meets Chicago)
47,884,919 - 300 miles

Chicago:
7,480,213 - 50 miles
12,006,754 - 100 miles
20,242,040 - 150 miles
26,364,429 - 200 miles
40,347,352 - 250 miles (Chicago meets Detroit)
47,840,230 - 300 miles

This doesn't include the 10+ million that live in Southern Ontario that would be included with Detroit, nor is it weighted for the higher percentage of water in the Detroit radius. So it would appear that Detroit and it's environs that are within a four hour drive are significantly more densely populated than Chicago's

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM

95 posts, read 118,635 times

Attached Thumbnails
why Detroit didn't feel as isolated as Chicago?-2017-04-24_13-21-25.jpg   why Detroit didn't feel as isolated as Chicago?-2017-04-24_13-21-54.jpg  

Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM

944 posts, read 1,197,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post

I don't think most people move to any city for it's road trip potential . No one was arguing that. Were just simply discussing observations and options on this matter. I think it's an interesting one since I never thought about it before.
I just think it speaks to an attitude you only see on this website where closeness to other cities is supposed to be a major selling point... it's not uncommon for somebody here to say something like "Baltimore is better than St Louis because Baltimore is closer to New York", as though people in Baltimore go to New York constantly or as though cheap airfare doesn't exist.

I can't imagine how anybody could feel isolated in one of the world's largest airport hubs.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM

123 posts, read 158,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I just think it speaks to an attitude you only see on this website where closeness to other cities is supposed to be a major selling point... it's not uncommon for somebody here to say something like "Baltimore is better than St Louis because Baltimore is closer to New York", as though people in Baltimore go to New York constantly or as though cheap airfare doesn't exist.

What are you even talking about? The whole thread is about isolation and city connectivity, we weren't judging the city's worth or whether someone should move there by how close it was to other cities, you people are derailing the thread in a really bizarre way.

Detroit has plenty of amenities of it's own that are attractive, however, that's not the subject of the thread.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,201,169 times
View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that
metropolitan region?

Region ........................... # votes ....... %

Northeast (New York) ------ 28---- -29.17%
Midwest (Chicago) ----------- 62 ---- 64.58%
West (Los Angeles) ------------ 1 -------1.04%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) ------------ 0 0%
Midwest (Detroit) ------------------------- 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) ---------- 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) -------0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) -------------------- 0 0%
West (Seattle) ----------------- 3 --------3.13%
Other (state) ------------------- 2 ------- 2.08%

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...dominated.html

Thought population 300 miles is close. Chicago really stands more on its own. Stature and size.

Still Chicago more isolated neither hurts or helps it. Same for Detroit. In the East some might argue a mighty NYC proximity helps? But I'd say it is limited at best. But on C-D some cities promote it in vs. threads.

Each city still has to stand on its own. Chicago has to do so more.

Actually if a city is extremely complete with great amenities to fulfill ones needs? Other areas or smaller or larger nearby cities are not nearly felt as necessary.

Whether Detroit has Windsor, Toledo to Cleveland to access. Do they complete Detroit in any way? Does Milwaukee do any such thing to complement or improve Chicagoland's amenities? I would say no for Chicago. I merely do not know Detroit well enough to say other cities are needed to complement Detroit's metro.

I never felt isolated in the years I lived in Chicago. Just too much there to utilize. Living in East Central PA I would love more amenities close-by in large cities. But I do not see having both a NYC and Philly 2-3 hours away as a much larger plus then just either one.

Just as NYC can totally stand on its own. I did feel Chicago was also even much smaller then NYC. As a Global city in stature. Chicago can till early stand on its own. New Yorkers surely see it can.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:38 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,900 times
Quote:

I can't imagine how anybody could feel isolated in one of the world's largest airport hubs.
Baltimore is a unique position because you can drive to a larger city (DC) for an evening event and then drive home. Leaving out access to Philly and New York, going to DC from Baltimore isn't even travel!

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,786,414 times
I can't comment on what it feels like to live in Chicago, because I never have.

But I'm from Toronto, and I always felt VERY isolated in the years I lived in Detroit. I never got over that feeling. It probably didn't help that most of our friends and family, including my cousins in NY State, almost never wanted to come to Detroit to visit. We ended up feeling like the poor, red-headed relatives living in exile in the bad part of town or way out in the boonies.

So, perhaps it simply comes down to what you're used to.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:

City data has alot of people that come up with some bizarre stuff. Every Baltimore vs thread turns into a DC vs thread lol it's hilarious. But I don't think that's what this thread was getting at.

Quote:
View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that
metropolitan region?

Region ........................... # votes ....... %

Northeast (New York) ------ 28---- -29.17%
Midwest (Chicago) ----------- 62 ---- 64.58%
West (Los Angeles) ------------ 1 -------1.04%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) ------------ 0 0%
Midwest (Detroit) ------------------------- 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) ---------- 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) -------0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) -------------------- 0 0%
West (Seattle) ----------------- 3 --------3.13%
Other (state) ------------------- 2 ------- 2.08%

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...dominated.html

Thought population 300 miles is close. Chicago really stands more on its own. Stature and size.

Still Chicago more isolated neither hurts or helps it. Same for Detroit. In the East some might argue a mighty NYC proximity helps? But I'd say it is limited at best. But on C-D some cities promote it in vs. threads.

Each city still has to stand on its own. Chicago has to do so more.

Actually if a city is extremely complete with great amenities to fulfill ones needs? Other areas or smaller or larger nearby cities are not nearly felt as necessary.

Whether Detroit has Windsor, Toledo to Cleveland to access. Do they complete Detroit in any way? Does Milwaukee do any such thing to complement or improve Chicagoland's amenities? I would say no for Chicago. I merely do not know Detroit well enough to say other cities are needed to complement Detroit's metro.

I never felt isolated in the years I lived in Chicago. Just too much there to utilize. Living in East Central PA I would love more amenities close-by in large cities. But I do not see having both a NYC and Philly 2-3 hours away as a much larger plus then just either one.

Just as NYC can totally stand on its own. I did feel Chicago was also even much smaller then NYC. As a Global city in stature. Chicago can till early stand on its own. New Yorkers surely see it can.
Yea Detroit stands on it's own just fine. I know quite a few people who hardly ever leave the metro area other than for family reasons. In fact I see alot more people from Ohio and Ontario to Detroit for it's amenities. But again, I don't think that was the point of this thread what so ever. Maybe I'm missing something because I didn't see the OP say anything about the amenities in Chicago itself at all, I was under the impression that he was talking about Chicago's proximity to other cities? Maybe I'm wrong... I'm sure the OP can clarify either way.

Quote:
But I'm from Toronto, and I always felt VERY isolated in the years I lived in Detroit. I never got over that feeling. It probably didn't help that most of our friends and family, including my cousins in NY State, almost never wanted to come to Detroit to visit. We ended up feeling like the poor, red-headed relatives living in exile in the bad part of town or way out in the boonies.
So they refused to come see you because Detroit (mostly just inner city Detroit at that) has a bad reputation? That's a ridiculous reason for your family and friends not to visit you. When we visit family in the boonies of Arkansas it's to see our family, we could care less what the "reputation" of the rural south is. Smh people are weird man.

Last edited by MS313; 04-24-2017 at 11:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 07:01 AM

944 posts, read 1,197,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post

What are you even talking about? The whole thread is about isolation and city connectivity, we weren't judging the city's worth or whether someone should move there by how close it was to other cities, you people are derailing the thread in a really bizarre way.

Detroit has plenty of amenities of it's own that are attractive, however, that's not the subject of the thread.
I was commenting on a weird tendency on CD to care about city connectivity, as though Cleveland being marginally closer to NYC is a reason to move there instead of Cincinnati. It's an overused talking point on these forums is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit