U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,729 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are any specific neighborhoods in the city of Detroit that have a large Arab population. I know that Dearborn and Hamtramck have large populations but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any specific neighborhoods in Detroit that do as well and their names. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2017, 06:50 AM
 
5,114 posts, read 4,812,513 times
Reputation: 4380
Dtrain, either you're very young or not from Detroit.

There's a neighborhood known as Chaldean Town. It ran along 7 Mile Road, from Woodward to John R. It's nearly gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Reputation: 1864
Warrendale, being adjacent to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, is experiencing spillover of Middle Eastern people and businesses from those communities.

Here is a section of Warren Avenue with a "storefront" mosque and several storefronts with Arabic writing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3436...7i13312!8i6656 (Go up and down Warren Ave. using Streetview and you will see many more Arab businesses)

I wouldn't say that Warrendale is becoming heavily Middle Eastern, but the sections closest to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights have an increasing presence of people of Middle Eastern descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2017, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Detroit Suburbs , MI
157 posts, read 108,758 times
Reputation: 120
Sterling heights also has an Arab population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM
 
2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Reputation: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Warrendale, being adjacent to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, is experiencing spillover of Middle Eastern people and businesses from those communities.

Here is a section of Warren Avenue with a "storefront" mosque and several storefronts with Arabic writing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3436...7i13312!8i6656 (Go up and down Warren Ave. using Streetview and you will see many more Arab businesses)

I wouldn't say that Warrendale is becoming heavily Middle Eastern, but the sections closest to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights have an increasing presence of people of Middle Eastern descent.
Arab storefronts and Mosques are popping up on the Detroit side of Greenfield as well. Cheap real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
Reputation: 1864
I also forgot to mention that the Chadsey-Condon neighborhood is also seeing an influx of Middle Eastern residents and businesses. It also borders Dearborn as well. The major commercial street is Michigan Avenue, and the minor commercial street is McGraw Avenue, which turns into Ford Road. This area of this city is very diverse, with white, black, Hispanic, and Middle-Eastern.

Look at how this old grand brick church building off of Michigan Avenue that was converted into a stucco-sided Mosque. See below:

Before Picture:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3292...7i13312!8i6656

After Picture:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3298...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 PM
 
4,719 posts, read 8,564,842 times
Reputation: 1841
Detroit Public Schools sometimes prints school brochures in Spanish, Arabic, or Bengali. You can use those to tell which areas have Arabic speakers.

The following print brochures in both Spanish and Arabic:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 AM
 
384 posts, read 287,820 times
Reputation: 138
are you saying Chaldean Town is no longer a neighborhood or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Dtrain, either you're very young or not from Detroit.

There's a neighborhood known as Chaldean Town. It ran along 7 Mile Road, from Woodward to John R. It's nearly gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 AM
 
4,719 posts, read 8,564,842 times
Reputation: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
are you saying Chaldean Town is no longer a neighborhood or what?
It lost a ton of momentum after the late 80s. Detroitblogger John wrote about it here: detroitblog » 2006 » August (go to the section "half a world away")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top