U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,933,206 times
Reputation: 3554

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
$32K a year is poverty. At a 30% tax rate one nets around $23K.. with rent being near $800 per month that leaves $14K for all the good things in life like FOOD, TRANSPORTATION, UTILITIES and do not even think about EDUCATION or HEALTH CARE..


FLASH--TRICKLE DOWN REALLY HASN'T EVER WORKED.

One should be paid based on contribution to over all company profits--not just on seniority.

Ask any TEACHER (graduating since 1990) if their salary is fair? Being paid $45K with 20 years experience and two masters is an insult.
Paid based on contribution to society? Well now, that's might socialist sounding of you, Mr. Marx. Here in aMurica we reject socialism and listen only to the influences of crony capitalism, and if a wealthy capitalist wants to use his power to influence a politician to allow him to accumulate more wealth and choose how it is distributed to those within his inner circle, I see no problem with this because he was born with that wealth and used it to work his way to power! And if someone is born with poverty their contribution is meaningless because society has already determined this.

This is why we have ghettos like Inkster. We need a large underclass in order to support those who are born with power. We need those who will work the less prestigious jobs and support a healthy middle-class who can then work semi-prestigious jobs to support our ruling class! It's simple, it's economics! Paid based on contribution.. hah! No, no, we pay based on connections, and then we pretend it's based on contribution because the Oracle programmer makes more than the teacher and Oracle programming is generally understood as more difficult to do so therefore it must all be based upon contribution!

Ask Betsy DeVos, she understands how the system works.

Also, can I point an an interesting observation about just how bad Inkster is? You go on any thread and start trash talking a community and someone will be like, "Nah it's not all bad." Here for example. You say something bad about Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Wayne, etc. without fail there will be posters who refute that. In this entire post, not a single person has been like, "Eh.. Inkster isn't that bad it's just misunderstood.." because we all realize Inkster is actually that bad. The crime is (probably) above Detroit levels, and unlike Detroit which has an infinite number of things actually going well for it these days, (and still has their own public schools!) Inkster does not. Which is actually kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,614,818 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Ask any TEACHER (graduating since 1990) if their salary is fair? Being paid $45K with 20 years experience and two masters is an insult.
That makes no sense. Why are they still making starting pay after 20 years? Did they change jobs every three months and never finish out a contract? Are they on the child sexual predator list?


I suppose they could be working in private schools and get paid that little (maybe), or maybe working part time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 AM
 
292 posts, read 204,519 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Paid based on contribution to society? Well now, that's might socialist sounding of you, Mr. Marx. Here in aMurica we reject socialism and listen only to the influences of crony capitalism, and if a wealthy capitalist wants to use his power to influence a politician to allow him to accumulate more wealth and choose how it is distributed to those within his inner circle, I see no problem with this because he was born with that wealth and used it to work his way to power! And if someone is born with poverty their contribution is meaningless because society has already determined this.

This is why we have ghettos like Inkster. We need a large underclass in order to support those who are born with power. We need those who will work the less prestigious jobs and support a healthy middle-class who can then work semi-prestigious jobs to support our ruling class! It's simple, it's economics! Paid based on contribution.. hah! No, no, we pay based on connections, and then we pretend it's based on contribution because the Oracle programmer makes more than the teacher and Oracle programming is generally understood as more difficult to do so therefore it must all be based upon contribution!

Ask Betsy DeVos, she understands how the system works.

Also, can I point an an interesting observation about just how bad Inkster is? You go on any thread and start trash talking a community and someone will be like, "Nah it's not all bad." Here for example. You say something bad about Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Wayne, etc. without fail there will be posters who refute that. In this entire post, not a single person has been like, "Eh.. Inkster isn't that bad it's just misunderstood.." because we all realize Inkster is actually that bad. The crime is (probably) above Detroit levels, and unlike Detroit which has an infinite number of things actually going well for it these days, (and still has their own public schools!) Inkster does not. Which is actually kind of sad.

Eh Inkster is not that bad, you are just afraid of your own shadow.I guarantee you can not go on a tour of Inkster right now and see violent crime like you can see in Chicago neighborhoods. Many people spend thousands of dollars everyday on used cars on used car blvd Michigan avenue if it is soooo dangerous why would they exposed themselves to getting robbed?. Inkster has a excellent seventh day adventist school that people from all areas attend. When you say posters don't respond, could it be because they are not into anonymous conversations. Say it on facebook and you will get real responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,933,206 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
Eh Inkster is not that bad, you are just afraid of your own shadow.I guarantee you can not go on a tour of Inkster right now and see violent crime like you can see in Chicago neighborhoods. Many people spend thousands of dollars everyday on used cars on used car blvd Michigan avenue if it is soooo dangerous why would they exposed themselves to getting robbed?. Inkster has a excellent seventh day adventist school that people from all areas attend. When you say posters don't respond, could it be because they are not into anonymous conversations. Say it on facebook and you will get real responses.
Well consider my statement that nobody defends it retracted - I'm happy to see someone calling me out on that.

However, I wish to point out that used car dealerships and Seventh-day Adventist schools aren't exactly considered to be desirable neighbors. They've probably put themselves in a position where they're statistically more likely to be robbed because the cost-risk ratio makes it more sensible to set up shop in a low rent district such as Michigan Avenue through Inkster than it does to move a few miles up the road into Livonia where they'd spend a lot more for less risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 PM
 
292 posts, read 204,519 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Well consider my statement that nobody defends it retracted - I'm happy to see someone calling me out on that.

However, I wish to point out that used car dealerships and Seventh-day Adventist schools aren't exactly considered to be desirable neighbors. They've probably put themselves in a position where they're statistically more likely to be robbed because the cost-risk ratio makes it more sensible to set up shop in a low rent district such as Michigan Avenue through Inkster than it does to move a few miles up the road into Livonia where they'd spend a lot more for less risk.

Inkster has had used car lots over in that area for decades, people have been going over there to buy cars for decades and note for you, they still go there.

Excuse me, now we are talking about economics? I thought the statement was Inkster is so dangerous that no one goes there. Kids don't play outside in Inkster and Detroit like they do where you live etc.I got news for you. They do play outside, probably with less computer freaks and pedophiles per capita for parents to be worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 01:43 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
10,235 posts, read 21,713,520 times
Reputation: 9882
I have a lot of 2nd / 3rd cousins in Taylor area. Their ancestors originally moved from Eastern KY to River Rouge and SW Detroit. I've heard Romulus mentioned as not being a nice place, how does Taylor compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Chicago
939 posts, read 844,314 times
Reputation: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
$32K a year is poverty. At a 30% tax rate one nets around $23K.. with rent being near $800 per month that leaves $14K for all the good things in life like FOOD, TRANSPORTATION, UTILITIES and do not even think about EDUCATION or HEALTH CARE..


FLASH--TRICKLE DOWN REALLY HASN'T EVER WORKED.

One should be paid based on contribution to over all company profits--not just on seniority.

Ask any TEACHER (graduating since 1990) if their salary is fair? Being paid $45K with 20 years experience and two masters is an insult.
If $32k a year is poverty, then nearly 50% of Americans are in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,933,206 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
Inkster has had used car lots over in that area for decades, people have been going over there to buy cars for decades and note for you, they still go there.

Excuse me, now we are talking about economics? I thought the statement was Inkster is so dangerous that no one goes there. Kids don't play outside in Inkster and Detroit like they do where you live etc.I got news for you. They do play outside, probably with less computer freaks and pedophiles per capita for parents to be worried about.
If we're going to gripe about red herrings and putting words in mouths, exactly when did I imply that kids don't play outside? I'm sure they do. Kids like to be outside regardless of where they live.

What I stated is that crime is high in Inkster, which it is. I also stated that in addition to this Inkster in considered less desirable than other places with high crime rates such as Detroit or Pontiac, because those cities have a brighter looking future than Inkster, due to their existing attractions, history, and employment centers. Inkster is more comparable to a sleepy suburb like Eastpointe or Oak Park in terms of neighborhood attractions, except where Eastpointe and Oak Park are rather safe based upon crime statistics, have stable property values, increasing populations, and their own functioning school districts, Inkster has none of those. It has some used car dealerships and a quirky protestant christian private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
If $32k a year is poverty, then nearly 50% of Americans are in poverty.
32k can be poverty, based on family size. According to the Federal Poverty Guidelines, a family of 6 making 32k a year would be in poverty. This of course assumes two married parents, one staying home, one working full-time. Throw in childcare and things get out of control fast. I think we underestimate how much of a financial struggle life is for many Americans. Then consider that poverty is poverty - you try making a budget for a family (of any size) based on $2660 a month (Maybe $1900 after taxes). Don't forget to invest for retirement and take out a few hundred for health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,614,818 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
$32K a year is poverty. At a 30% tax rate one nets around $23K.. with rent being near $800 per month that leaves $14K for all the good things in life like FOOD, TRANSPORTATION, UTILITIES and do not even think about EDUCATION or HEALTH CARE..


FLASH--TRICKLE DOWN REALLY HASN'T EVER WORKED.

One should be paid based on contribution to over all company profits--not just on seniority.

Ask any TEACHER (graduating since 1990) if their salary is fair? Being paid $45K with 20 years experience and two masters is an insult.
Do you live in California?

Federal tax rates on $32K are 15%. There is no 30% tax rate (unless you are adding California income tax to the federal rate - that still does not quite get you to 30%. ). At 32K you pay 10% ont he first 10K and then 15 % up to 37K. Most people making $32 K do not pay taxes on 32 K, that at least take the standard exemptions or write off their mortgage interest and charity donations.

In California, $32K might be poverty level living. It is not in Michigan, and about 30 other states.

Also your caps lock key is sticking. Salvation army sells decent computer keyboards with no sticky keys for $2 - $4. That is affordable even on $32 K a year.

$32K is startign pay for a few traditionally low paying jobs like teaching, policeman, or mailman. Even most factory jobs pay better than that and pretty much all tradesperson jobs do, even to start, or at least after a short apprenticeship. If you start at $32 K that is not great, but it is not terrible. If you do not move up from that rate, you are doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,720 posts, read 1,517,937 times
Reputation: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
$32K a year is poverty. At a 30% tax rate one nets around $23K.. with rent being near $800 per month that leaves $14K for all the good things in life like FOOD, TRANSPORTATION, UTILITIES and do not even think about EDUCATION or HEALTH CARE..


FLASH--TRICKLE DOWN REALLY HASN'T EVER WORKED.

One should be paid based on contribution to over all company profits--not just on seniority.

Ask any TEACHER (graduating since 1990) if their salary is fair? Being paid $45K with 20 years experience and two masters is an insult.
My best friend is a teacher in a suburb of Detroit. While I know salary can vary greatly from district to district he is starting out at $45k his first year of teaching. I believe his salary gets boosted $2500 each additional year and eventually caps out after a while. The scenario you're describing is definitely possible but I find it hard to believe someone who is has been teaching for 20 years (and has an additional masters degree) is making the same amount as him unless they screwed up big time or jumped around from district to district.

I think a starting salary of $45K is pretty fair for a young professional in Michigan when you factor in the healthcare benefits, summers off and a guaranteed winter and spring break in addition to the vacation time and the fact that you only have to be at your workplace between 7am -3PM not to mention the possibility of tenure in the future. However, I agree that the starting salary is not glamorous and may not adequately reflect certain teachers' capability, educational attainment or the amount of effort they put in to their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top