U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
There are pho places around, Detroit just does not have a big Asian population to sustain the kind of scenes that crop up in bigger metro areas... there is no need for ramen wars here, people either go to Tomukun in Ann Arbor or Johnny noodle king in Detroit and that is where the market is. Upscale pho is covered by Katoi and Flowers of Vietnam... bubble tea has become pretty ubiquitous because it's basically a frappuccino. The number of places serving it or dedicated to it in Metro Detroit has grown exponentially within the past year. There was a time when a search for bubble tea in this metro area only brought up one result in Novi and then a bunch in Windsor.

But I digress because the point I was trying to make isn't really about those specific items. Those are currently envogue hipster things, but they will eventually be replaced and the larger point I was trying to illustrate is that when they are Chicago will suddenly have 30 restaurants serving the new thing before Metro Detroit has one. And if you're the stereotypical UM student from California or New Jersey, that is probably appealing and explains the Amtrak traffic.
I see where your coming from. Btw my co-worker said DKY in Ann Arbor has the best sushi, have you had that before? I've never even tried sushi before but I might try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I had to go look up bubble tea and Poke - Ick and ick. Once again ecstatic that I am not a hipster. We are not really missing anything with a shortage of these places. Whatever happened to Pho? That was such a huge hipster trend out west, but it did not seem to have ever reached Detroit. Or did it?

I would trade all the Pho, Buble tea and raw fish salad in the country for a good steak or Cannelloni, or maybe a great slab of fish. I guess I am outdated.
Pho and Bubble Tea places are pretty much ubiquitous here in Windsor! So are ramen and sushi joints, especially along Wyandotte St. W, but also spread throughout the city and the suburbs.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM

941 posts, read 847,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Just curious, in your opinion, why do you perceive Ferndale as the best place for young adults to hang out as opposed to Royal Oak or Detroit.

Dearborn actually has 2 downtowns. It's just that Downtown East Dearborn is in the middle of a Middle Eastern neighborhood and is not a trendy place. Also Dearborn's Warren Avenue is somewhat walkable with a decently intact streetwall that is chock full of Middle Eastern restaurants, bakeries, and other businesses catering to that community.
Sure, couple of reasons:

1. While Ferndale rentals are harder and hard to come by, the buy in is still way cheaper than the areas of Detroit that young people are congregating in. Detroit has been largely overtaken by the luxury market... $1000 still gets you somewhere in Ferndale for now, plus you are so close to the city that the feeling is more akin to a city neighborhood than a suburb.

2. This is where it gets subjective: I just don't like Royal Oak. I have always felt the culture of bars and nightclubs there to be extremely, for want of a better term, fratty. Just not my scene, although were I buying a house I would probably consider some off-downtown areas of Royal Oak simply for access and general pleasantness.

Notably, living in Ferndale puts one very close to both Detroit and Royal Oak amenities so you would not have to miss out on much.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,356,642 times
Quote:
And if you're the stereotypical UM student from California or New Jersey, that is probably appealing and explains the Amtrak traffic.
127,206 passengers went through the Ann Arbor station in 2016. There were 1550 students from Cal and 1065 students from NJ. How many of that 127,206 can you attribute to those 2615 students?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,077,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Pho and Bubble Tea places are pretty much ubiquitous here in Windsor! So are ramen and sushi joints, especially along Wyandotte St. W, but also spread throughout the city and the suburbs.

Confused about all the fuss about finding pho and bubble tea. I'm in Farmington Hills and we have a lot of these restaurants, and a whole lot of sushi as well. Love good sushi, and we sure do have it, without going far. Also plenty of Indian and middle-eastern as well as good ol' American steak and fish. Not sure why these are considered "hipster" exclusive restaurants. I guess they are all over the place now, in the big suburbs.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Confused about all the fuss about finding pho and bubble tea. I'm in Farmington Hills and we have a lot of these restaurants, and a whole lot of sushi as well. Love good sushi, and we sure do have it, without going far. Also plenty of Indian and middle-eastern as well as good ol' American steak and fish. Not sure why these are considered "hipster" exclusive restaurants. I guess they are all over the place now, in the big suburbs.
These aren't considered hipster restaurants here, although lots of hipsters do frequent them. They mainly serve the fairly large Vietnamese and Southeats Asian population we have, as well as the locally born population.

Middle Eastern food is also everywhere here, city and suburbs. It makes sense since they are the largest ethnic group after white Europeans in metro Windsor!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,299,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
These aren't considered hipster restaurants here, although lots of hipsters do frequent them. They mainly serve the fairly large Vietnamese and Southeats Asian population we have, as well as the locally born population.

Middle Eastern food is also everywhere here, city and suburbs. It makes sense since they are the largest ethnic group after white Europeans in metro Windsor!
I suspect that Middle Eastern is the third largest ethnic group in the Metro Detroit area, behind White and Black folk. I think estimates are 200,000, but I believe that there are 300,000 to 400,000 in the metro area. IT is hard to track the actual population count because the U.S. Census considers Middle Eastern people as white.

Middle Eastern people make up a sizeable portion of the population of many of the largest suburbs of Detroit - Warren, Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, and of course Dearborn. Also, they have a significant presence in Dearborn Heights and Hamtramck, and in upscale communities like Bloomfield/Birmingham. They mostly come from the nations of Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, and Yemen.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I suspect that Middle Eastern is the third largest ethnic group in the Metro Detroit area, behind White and Black folk. I think estimates are 200,000, but I believe that there are 300,000 to 400,000 in the metro area. IT is hard to track the actual population count because the U.S. Census considers Middle Eastern people as white.

Middle Eastern people make up a sizeable portion of the population of many of the largest suburbs of Detroit - Warren, Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield, Farmington Hills, and of course Dearborn. Also, they have a significant presence in Dearborn Heights and Hamtramck, and in upscale communities like Bloomfield/Birmingham. They mostly come from the nations of Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, and Yemen.
Walking around DT Windsor and it's central core areas, I would say one in four people that you see walking around are of Arabic origin, as this area has attracted many of the newer immigrants from that region because of the affordability of the housing stock!

Along Wyandotte St. E, the epicentre of our local Arabic population, easily half the people out on the street and in the shops are Arabic! Also, probably 75% of the shops and restaurants along this stretch are all owned and operated by the Arabic population! This area has really transformed over the past 20 years, when it was just another old, inner city street and neighbourhood!

The awesome thing about how Windsor has become so multicultural over the past 25 years is that everybody pretty much lives their lives in peace and goes about their business without fear of blatant racism or violence. Windsor is a very accepting and down to earth city, and this attracts more immigrants from other parts of Canada where they maybe don't feel as welcomed or part of their new communities as they do here. Family and friends who are already here, tell them how affordable and accepting the city is, So some families decide to eventually move here instead. The Wyandotte St. Corridor and also having Dearborn and it's huge Arabic right across the border are huge draws!

Last edited by North 42; 07-01-2017 at 05:35 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 AM

4,722 posts, read 8,577,534 times
Wouldn't Novi have ramen restaurants too? The Japanese expats live in and around there.

Quote:
There are pho places around, Detroit just does not have a big Asian population to sustain the kind of scenes that crop up in bigger metro areas... there is no need for ramen wars here, people either go to Tomukun in Ann Arbor or Johnny noodle king in Detroit and that is where the market is. Upscale pho is covered by Katoi and Flowers of Vietnam... bubble tea has become pretty ubiquitous because it's basically a frappuccino. The number of places serving it or dedicated to it in Metro Detroit has grown exponentially within the past year. There was a time when a search for bubble tea in this metro area only brought up one result in Novi and then a bunch in Windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or