U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:55 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I like this one Geo... can't use the same city twice. That actually makes you think a little bit lol.
  • Overall, best place to live in the entire metro: Detroit. Don't really care who disagrees, my opinion. The proximity to so many things, all of the events and gatherings and places to hang out in general, the people for the most part are cool af and look out for you, the best food scene. Of course where you live in the city will make a huge difference. If the crime and blight was tamed down overall, and the city government wasn't so DYSFUNCTIONAL and corrupt for years, man.

Quote:
Lol and well yeah, I would be lying to you if I told you I don't think about playing it safe and moving to the burbs when I have kids and they start getting of school age. The "American Dream" for most Detroiters is getting a good job and settling down north of 8 mile or west of 275. So it's instinct for most older teens and young adults in Detroit to start thinking about Southfield, Farmington Hills, Canton, West Bloomfield, ect when they think about settling down and having a family. As hardcore of a Detroit supporter I am, I also think about that.

How can you say that Detroit is the best place to live in the metro area, if you don't think that you would raise your family here??

If you have leave to Detroit to raise a family, then it surely can't be the BEST place to LIVE. Maybe to hang out, but not to LIVE.

Last edited by usroute10; 04-30-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 12:12 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Woah there hoss,

No need to get all heated and defensive. Context is your friend. All I said was Ferndale does not have enough going on to rank it over Royal Oak IMO. No one said it is a horrible, lame, boring or otherwise imperfect city. You make a good choice, just breathe deeply.

It is a bit difficult to claim Ferndale has as much going on as Royal Oak, especially with no zoo. But maybe you view it differently, No need to go off, just say so, People can have differnet opinions about things and it is not an assault on your life choices.

I prefer Wyandotte becasue it is on the water, because it is more concentrated, because it is generally calmer. I cna make that choice, you can prefer Ferndale. No one needs to die over their preferences.
You said "it just does not have enough going on", so I informed you of what is going on in Ferndale. My post was nothing about preferences just giving you information to counter the statements you've made recently.

I don't live in Ferndale, never will. I am city of Detroit resident, and have no plans to leave.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 AM

4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times
I think the public school situation makes it difficult to choose any neighborhood in Detroit. Even though some of the magnet schools are good, the poor quality of almost every zoned school, especially compared to suburban schools, makes it hard. I'm not from Detroit but I've checked school rankings and lurked around on this city-data forum for years...

If they had upper-middle class neighborhoods where a large number of people send kids to neighborhood public schools that perform among the top percentile in the state (think about West University Elementary in Houston ISD, which attracts upper income white parents and is in a majority low income, majority Hispanic school district), Detroit would be a contender for "best city for families".

Old 04-30-2017, 12:15 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,800,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
How can you say that Detroit is the best place to live in the metro area, if you don't think that you would raise your family here??

If you have leave to Detroit to raise a family, then it surely can't be the BEST place to LIVE. Maybe to hang out, but not to LIVE.
I never said you HAVE to leave Detroit to raise a family... I said it crosses my mind. And tbh the reason why it crosses my mind is because of the current state of the school system. Most suburban school districts are far better than big city school districts in America period. Alot of young people in Chicago and Philly think that their city is the best place to live in their metro area but most of them also wouldn't dare send their kids to Philly's or Chicago's public school system.

But that's years down the road from now. Right now I don't have any kids to worry about.

Also, I actually wouldn't mind raising my family in the nicer and safer areas of the city. I know countless decent families that have done it and I know countless kids that turned out just fine. Hell, there are a countless number of people I know born and raised in Detroit that are graduating from college this month. On the flip side I know people from the burbs who got kicked out of multiple schools and caught felonies before they were even 18.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 PM

There are some nicer neighborhoods in Detroit (guarded with private patrols) that are liveable.. there's a reason why there are some elite Catholic schools still operating in the city. It happens though that the richest/most desirable neighborhoods in Metro Detroit are up in the Bloomfield Hills area and elsewhere in Oakland County, not Detroit.

Chicago has some areas with unquestionably good public elementary schools (a few of the comprehensive high schools may be acceptable to upper class families). Philly also has some well-regarded public elementaries but I think only their magnet high schools are well-regarded.

There are bright, talented, and sensible people in the inner city just like there are dumb, reckless idiots in white suburbs.

Quote:
I never said you HAVE to leave Detroit to raise a family... I said it crosses my mind. And tbh the reason why it crosses my mind is because of the current state of the school system. Most suburban school districts are far better than big city school districts in America period. Alot of young people in Chicago and Philly think that their city is the best place to live in their metro area but most of them also wouldn't dare send their kids to Philly's or Chicago's public school system.

But that's years down the road from now. Right now I don't have any kids to worry about.

Also, I actually wouldn't mind raising my family in the nicer and safer areas of the city. I know countless decent families that have done it and I know countless kids that turned out just fine. Hell, there are a countless number of people I know born and raised in Detroit that are graduating from college this month. On the flip side I know people from the burbs who got kicked out of multiple schools and caught felonies before they were even 18.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There are some nicer neighborhoods in Detroit (guarded with private patrols) that are liveable.. there's a reason why there are some elite Catholic schools still operating in the city. It happens though that the richest/most desirable neighborhoods in Metro Detroit are up in the Bloomfield Hills area and elsewhere in Oakland County, not Detroit.

Chicago has some areas with unquestionably good public elementary schools (a few of the comprehensive high schools may be acceptable to upper class families). Philly also has some well-regarded public elementaries but I think only their magnet high schools are well-regarded.

There are bright, talented, and sensible people in the inner city just like there are dumb, reckless idiots in white suburbs.
All Detroit Public Schools are not bad either. There are actually some really decent ones. And all of Detroit's nice neighborhoods aren't guarded with private patrols like Palmer Woods. Hell, most of them aren't. They might not be as safe as Palmer Woods but they aren't war zones either.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 PM

Are any of the neighborhood or magnet elementary schools in Detroit considered to be of the same quality as, say, a public school in Bloomfield Hills, the Grosse Pointes, Troy, West Bloomfield, Novi, etc.? - I am aware some neighborhood elementaries have a good education and have good levels of safety, but the question is whether they are the "best". Remember the title of the thread is "Best Place to Live in Metro Detroit", and in regards to the "Best Place" for families that puts some pressure on the education category.

As for the neighborhoods which remain decent but don't have private patrols, are they in proximity to police stations or another municipality's police force? (In Houston several of the good neighborhoods do use private patrols by choice, even though Houston Police is a quality police department)

Quote:
All Detroit Public Schools are not bad either. There are actually some really decent ones. And all of Detroit's nice neighborhoods aren't guarded with private patrols like Palmer Woods. Hell, most of them aren't. They might not be as safe as Palmer Woods but they aren't war zones either.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Are any of the neighborhood or magnet elementary schools in Detroit considered to be of the same quality as, say, a public school in Bloomfield Hills, the Grosse Pointes, Troy, West Bloomfield, Novi, etc.? - I am aware some neighborhood elementaries have a good education and have good levels of safety, but the question is whether they are the "best". Remember the title of the thread is "Best Place to Live in Metro Detroit", and in regards to the "Best Place" for families that puts some pressure on the education category.

As for the neighborhoods which remain decent but don't have private patrols, are they in proximity to police stations or another municipality's police force? (In Houston several of the good neighborhoods do use private patrols by choice, even though Houston Police is a quality police department)
Kind of but not really. You got to remember Detroit is a city of pockets. Crappy areas border nice areas and vice versa. For example, look at Brightmoor and Rosedale Park, Highland Park and Martin Park, Indian Village and whatever that neighborhood is next to it going toward Connor. Some neighborhoods are just alot more stable than others.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Kind of but not really. You got to remember Detroit is a city of pockets. Crappy areas border nice areas and vice versa. For example, look at Brightmoor and Rosedale Park, Highland Park and Martin Park, Indian Village and whatever that neighborhood is next to it going toward Connor. Some neighborhoods are just alot more stable than others.
It would be interesting to see a study of how a Detroit neighborhood can retain stability (which ones do, and which ones don't?)

Houston also has a few decent neighborhoods rubbing up against disastrous apartment complexes or poorly-performing single-family subdivisions.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:
I think the public school situation makes it difficult to choose any neighborhood in Detroit. Even though some of the magnet schools are good, the poor quality of almost every zoned school, especially compared to suburban schools, makes it hard. I'm not from Detroit but I've checked school rankings and lurked around on this city-data forum for years...
For a short time (a few of weeks) we really wanted to make living in Detroit workable. The house we fond in Boston Edison neighborhood was beyond phenomenal. We were moving from a problem ridden city in California, so we knew how to deal with crime issues. Schools were manageable with Renaissance, Detroit School of the Arts and Cass Tech all viable options. There were very good and more or less affordable private school options for lower grades.

The killer was, where would the kids go and what would they do when not in school? Where would they play with friends? ride their bikes? Where could they go on their own to learn to be independent and responsible without mom or dad hovering around? The only answer we could find was inside the gargantuan house were were looking at. Otherwise, there was nowhere. That was the killer for us. There were other issues playing against the magnificent house option, a big one of which is we had been there done that with the whole urban pioneering thing - it was fun and interesting, but we wanted something different (but that house!). as soon as we focused on the where to hang out/play issue, we were done. It wasn't schools, schools were work aroundable. This issue killed the idea for us. (of course we never got tot hepoint of looking at property taxes or how to heat that giant house)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or