U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 AM

4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times

Advertisements

How competitive is it to get into these 6/10 schools? In many suburbs the default public schools are say 8/10 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I love these conversation about Detroit School being terrible but people forget about schools such as Renaissance High School (top school in the state). It is true majority of DPS schools are not great & not comparable to Birmingham, Troy, Bloomfield. But there are several average 6/10 schools in Detroit.
And the existence of the "thuglife" individuals who cause problems in the classroom is the very thing feared by suburban parents. I had a white friend who lived in east Houston, in a working class area not favored by white people. He enjoyed going to the elementary school, but in the middle school they strictly kept the "Vanguard" (academically oriented) kids separated from the regular ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
It's easier to get into trouble, but it isn't a deal breaker by any means. Just like the schools systems, parenting plays a bigger part in a child's success. And I'm sure any DPS school teacher or DPD officer can back me up on this, if parents had more control over their kids crime would go down alot and more people would be graduating. When I was in middle school, alot of my classmates would be out past freaking midnight on a school night. And you could make a strong correlation between those kids and the kids causing most of the trouble in the schools and getting sent to juvenile homes and being in gangs, ect.
There are occasionally very gifted people who attend low income high schools in the ghetto and succeed despite the problems that everyone else around them faces. I imagine this guy was the valedictorian of Kettering, which doesn't exist anymore... - It also be good asking him what it was like in Kettering, whether he was in separate higher level classes.

Quote:
I met this dude last year (he's studying abroad in Tokyo now) he is going for his masters right now and already knows how to build jet engines, the dude had the highest test score at our plant, and he speaks 3 different languages. Most people think he's some suburban black kid when they first meet him but you should see the expressions on everyone's face when they find out he graduated from Kettering high school and grew up within walking distance of that school. Yet he is smarter and more disciplined than most suburban kids.
The city governments have better services and police patrols so I imagine the public parks are better maintained.

Quote:
Where do kids play in Canton? or Macomb? or Ferndale?

Last edited by Vicman; 05-03-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 11:00 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Uhm, guys, I think we're terribly overrating Renaissance High. According to School Digger, it rates it as a 3 star school and the 353rd best high school in the state (out of 792). Maybe at one point it was a fantastic school, but today it's about on par with high schools in places like Fraser or Dearborn Heights, so .. not awful, but not exactly known for quality either, just a regular, average high school.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 AM

937 posts, read 842,316 times
Meh, USNWR has Renaissance as one of the top 100 high schools in the state... it's the only Detroit school listed, ahead of Cass Tech. Even the School Digger stats put it as the best in Detroit by a wide margin.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,759,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Meh, USNWR has Renaissance as one of the top 100 high schools in the state... it's the only Detroit school listed, ahead of Cass Tech. Even the School Digger stats put it as the best in Detroit by a wide margin.
It used to be top 10 and few years ago dropped to top 20 in state. I did not realize it dropped this far. I haven't looked into school ranking in last few years. I personally know several Cass Tech graduates who are all on full scholarship in UofM-AA & MSU. From what I seen, any students from DPS that is able to get into MSU or better school got full ride. This is not part of Detroit Promise but other scholarship set out for DPS graduates. Basically what I am saying is, if parents are willing to spent time/money on their kids to provide supplementary education outside of school then DPS isn't such a bad idea. When my brother was attending Cass Tech, my parents took him to Rochester Hill on weekends for ACT prep course. DPS has links to many schools & community college for supplementary education for those students/parents willing to take advantage of. Yes those amenities are not default setting & 6/10 school rating is not default school but parents/student need to put a little effort in to succeed.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:44 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Quote:

Where do kids play in Canton? or Macomb? or Ferndale?
I cannot speak for those places, but for our community: In the woods, on the bike trails, in the parks or soccer fields, at the schools, in boats on the water, on the township open space forests or trails, along the canal, and once they are 8 or older, on the roads. The older kids can also hang out at Kroger/Starbuicks or at the bakery.

In Detroit it would be the same as it was for us In California: In the back yard. Front yard with eyes on supervision; or we could drive them to a park and stay with them. When they got older they could go to a nearby giant parking lot that was empty on weekends and where the neighborhood kids tended to congregate, but we still made them bring 2 way radios and keep them on and/or bring along our 400 pounds of dogs.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,759,066 times
I am going to make an attempt at answering this from my limited experience with different cities
  • Best city for young singles: Ann Arbor... Does this count since it is not metro Detroit. I forgot the instruction
  • Best city for young families: Berkeley I like the small community feel , think it will be perfect for small families < 2 kids
  • Best city for older families: Birmingham nice house, nice downtown, nice parks, awesome salons, & nice status
  • Best city for retirees: Wyandotte.. a coworker told me this city is very retiree friendly. Apparently they have shuttles for elders & I do see lot of old ppl walking around in downtown
  • Most improved city since 2000: Rochester Hills.. I am bias here because the Asian community grew significantly (over 10%) since 2000. We (Asian's) never thought about Rochester Hills growing up but in last decade it has become a common city for people to settle down in.
  • Most improvable, promising city going forward: Detroit.. how can it not
  • Most desirable "Affordable" city: Ferndale cheaper house, close to DD & RO
  • Most Down-to-Earth "high-income" city: Grosse Ile, I know several coworkers from this island & they are so down to earth
  • Best inner-ring suburb: Dearborn? is this still inner-ring suburb. I think so
  • Best outer-ring suburb: Novi or Northville like others said
  • Best exurb: Shelby Township who lives there besides Stoney Creek Park
  • Overall, best place to live in the entire metro:.. Any place ON the river somewhere from Gross Points to Downtown to downriver, if I could afford a place.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
Is being a top 20 school that much different from being a top 10 school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The city governments have better services and police patrols so I imagine the public parks are better maintained.
I'm sure their parks are better maintained than Detroit's average parks but Detroit has better recreational options than those suburbs I mentioned. The obvious ones being the riverwalk, Belle Isle, and dequindre cut which don't exist there. There is also Chandler, River Rouge and Palmer Park which are pretty big and have things there, the first 2 even have pools. And then there are some small neighborhood parks (many of them on schools grounds) that have a playground or a basketball court. Look at the area around Rosedale Park for example, Stoepel Number 1 Park, Rosemont Acacia Park, Douglas Ramsay Memorial Playground, and then there are a couple of school in the area with a playground on top of that.

There is also a few skating ranks, bowing alleys, boats, parties for teens, block parties, parades and other events that go on around the city, ect.

Quote:
I cannot speak for those places, but for our community: In the woods, on the bike trails, in the parks or soccer fields, at the schools, in boats on the water, on the township open space forests or trails, along the canal, and once they are 8 or older, on the roads. The older kids can also hang out at Kroger/Starbuicks or at the bakery.

In Detroit it would be the same as it was for us In California: In the back yard. Front yard with eyes on supervision; or we could drive them to a park and stay with them. When they got older they could go to a nearby giant parking lot that was empty on weekends and where the neighborhood kids tended to congregate, but we still made them bring 2 way radios and keep them on and/or bring along our 400 pounds of dogs.
Now Grosse Ile is probably more of an exception just like some of the other suburbs that have metro parks or similar.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Is being a top 20 school that much different from being a top 10 school?

I'm sure their parks are better maintained than Detroit's average parks but Detroit has better recreational options than those suburbs I mentioned. The obvious ones being the riverwalk, Belle Isle, and dequindre cut which don't exist there. There is also Chandler, River Rouge and Palmer Park which are pretty big and have things there, the first 2 even have pools. And then there are some small neighborhood parks (many of them on schools grounds) that have a playground or a basketball court. Look at the area around Rosedale Park for example, Stoepel Number 1 Park, Rosemont Acacia Park, Douglas Ramsay Memorial Playground, and then there are a couple of school in the area with a playground on top of that.

There is also a few skating ranks, bowing alleys, boats, parties for teens, block parties, parades and other events that go on around the city, ect.

Now Grosse Ile is probably more of an exception just like some of the other suburbs that have metro parks or similar.
Yes, there are over 300 parks/playgrounds in Detroit. A ton of small and large neighborhood parks are in the northwest, north-central, and northeast part of the city. Plus, kids play out in front of their house or there friends' houses. Detroit went on a neighborhood park binge in the 50's - there are so many neighborhood parks named after soldiers from Michigan who lost their lives in World War II.

The reality is that suburban parks are going to be better maintained and safer. Suburbanites also are closer to Metroparks and the State recreation areas. Detroit has had problems maintaining parks and recreation centers over the years. Just look at Belle Isle. Several years ago, Mayor Bing seriously contemplated closing many parks including Rouge.

City of Detroit to close 77 parks in July

I guess Coldjensen's fear is that his kids may be kidnapped or caught in the crossfire of a drive-by shooting? It does happen - I had a young cousin in Flint who was riding her bike and was struck and killed by a stray bullet.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Prefer not having the kids playing in a park with hypodermic needles laying around. It is better now, but when we were looking most of the parks were made up of foot high weeds, trash and litter, hypodermic needles and condoms. Some of them were oddly fenced in with no way to access the park or play equipment. Most of the play equipment was broken or missing parts and unusable anyway. At best you had a few intact swings and maybe a rusty slide and the stubs of other things long gone missing.

However please refer back to what I said. What I was discussing is where kids can go by themselves to hang out with other kids without supervision. Where can they go off for an afternoon bike ride? Haging out sans parents is an important way to learn about being self disciplined, and responsible. Starting at aruond 10 -12 kids need to get out an away form the homestead and out form under the wing of mom and dad. If your answer is "Oh it is fine for them to go riding around in the City," then I can only assume (and hope) that you are not yet a parent.

Any safety issue is a concern, but my greater concern would be they get hit by a car, beat up by a bully, hassled for money by a homeless person and have no idea how to handle it (at least in the downtown area, most of the homeless are mentally ill young men), harassed by gang banger types, wander into a bad area, inadvertently tick someone off. The city is/was also simply physically dangerous. The condition of streets, sidewalks, abandoned buildings and other structures, trash laying around, even or especially the few parks that were still open were in dangerous condition. Then you get into all the rare but headline worthy issues the media so loves to terrify parents with.

Before Belle Isle became a state park, where was there any decent (let alone nice) park in the city where kids could cut loose and run off without "eyes on" supervision? In the area around Boston Edison there was no place I would let my kids go outside the neighborhood unless they were in a car, and inside the neighborhood, I would want to be with them at all times. Where is there a bike trail that a group of three of four young kids could go for a two hour bike ride? Where is there a park that they can explore the marvels of nature?

There were opportunities to drive them places, We could have driven out to Dad's an hour away and they could pay int he woods and stream or swamp unfettered and unprotected. But we had already done that lifestyle in another city. We did not want them playing in a parking lot or an alley or an abandoned factory. We wanted fields, streams, woods and streets/ bicycle trails where they could wander at will.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-04-2017 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM

292 posts, read 204,140 times
Plus Detroit has so many non profit organizations that do an awesome job working with thousands of kids providing thousands of after school and summer learning and growing activities. Citywide ThinkDetroit Pal has one of the best in the nation programs. Midnight Golf program is excellent with a who,s who list of alumni. On the eastside, Grace Community church {what a amazing church, Detroiters and Grosse Pointers} runs Soar and Eagle Sports which is also growing at a fast pace over at Balduck Park. Everyone is so into STEM concept for the kids these days but one of oldest and best again in the nation is DACEP which has been doing it since 1976 and also has a who,s who list of alumni. WSU has a excellent kiddie college and math corp program where kids are trained in music instruments, math, acting, language arts etc.. State Of Michigan has an excellent program for kids at Belle Isle and its Nature Center on the river walk. The point being if it is your goal to keep your kid busy continually learning and safe in Detroit it is quite easy because of all the opportunities too numerous to list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or