U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 01:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,822,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Ehh, I think you can define that however you want as there's some obvious subjectivity to it, but I also think it's reasonable to say a 30 year old couple with a 2 year old and a newborn (or maybe no kids at all, as is quite common among millennials) is looking for something quite different than a 50 year old couple with an 18 year old, a 16 year old, and a 13 year old.

I wanted this to be a good reference for someone to point to for those, "I'm thinking of moving to Detroit and I am ____________ looking for _________. Where should I move?" posts, rather than a discussion on if one should change their community as they age. If you bought a place in Ferndale as a 26 year old, there's no reason you can't raise a family and retire in that same home, but if you're currently in Chicago and looking to move to Detroit, well... here's a resource of some opinions of people who know the community quite well!
Yeah, I get that. I live in Novi, and I swear every other parent I meet at my kid's school tells me they moved here from Berkeley once their kid(s) reached school age.

For young families without kids (or with kids not yet school aged) I think the following are the best place to buy a first home:

Livonia - Lots of starter homes that will hold their value. Close to everything
Royal Oak
Berkeley

Best places for school-aged (older) families:

Novi/Northville - Two of the best school districts in the state. Tons of youth sports and activities. Proximity to everything on the west side.
Plymouth
Lyon Township
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:09 PM

941 posts, read 847,050 times
Not everyone believes in the concept of starter homes or has the economic security to buy a home on the assumption that they will one day be able to afford another... to wit, two of the wealthiest people I know live in small ranch houses that they could easily ditch for more than they paid. But they don't because they bought the houses for a reason... namely, they liked them back when they didn't have a lot of cash and saw no reason to upgrade as they aged.

As I see it, everyone has different priorities when it comes to purchasing a home. Someone prioritizing nightlife and activities would likely have Ann Arbor or a Ferndale type city as an ideal. Someone desiring good schools and lots of house would have different priorities. It really is that simple, which why I think this thread is a very good idea... your list would do very little for someone like me, who grew up in Livonia and absolutely hated it and everything it stands for.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Not everyone believes in the concept of starter homes or has the economic security to buy a home on the assumption that they will one day be able to afford another... to wit, two of the wealthiest people I know live in small ranch houses that they could easily ditch for more than they paid. But they don't because they bought the houses for a reason... namely, they liked them back when they didn't have a lot of cash and saw no reason to upgrade as they aged.

As I see it, everyone has different priorities when it comes to purchasing a home. Someone prioritizing nightlife and activities would likely have Ann Arbor or a Ferndale type city as an ideal. Someone desiring good schools and lots of house would have different priorities. It really is that simple, which why I think this thread is a very good idea... your list would do very little for someone like me, who grew up in Livonia and absolutely hated it and everything it stands for.
Just out of curiosity, what was so bad about your experience in Livonia?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM

I've tried to come up with a good way to articulate what I disliked about Livonia, but other than the tacit racism of the place (any time your city is the subject of 20 threads on neo-Nazi website Stormfront's forums, that is pretty bad) they are mostly down to personal preference. The place is 100% built for the convenience of the car, people drive even if they only have to travel one or two blocks. It's all sprawl, chain stores, and a hodgepodge of urban planning decisions that modern planners try desperately to avoid repeating.

Your mileage may vary. A lot of people grew up here and still believe that a 2000 square foot house with a yard in a city with no concept of public space is the best thing in the world. Good for them. It's just not what most Millennials, especially the educated middle-class ones that most people actually mean when they use that term, seem to want.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 7,938 times
Best town in SE Michigan is Ann Arbor. Period, full stop. If you can swing a commute from Ann Arbor, do it.

I think Brighton, Clarkston and (north) Rochester Hills/Oakland Twp are great places to raise wholesome kids.

Birmingham is great but too tacky. Grosse Pointes are guarded gate liberals, with an affluent but declining public school district.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM

981 posts, read 1,121,144 times
Ha, Birmingham. I saw them knocking down a house that sold for $460k, to be replaced with a $1.2 M home.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 248shrink View Post
Best town in SE Michigan is Ann Arbor. Period, full stop. If you can swing a commute from Ann Arbor, do it.

I think Brighton, Clarkston and (north) Rochester Hills/Oakland Twp are great places to raise wholesome kids.

Birmingham is great but too tacky. Grosse Pointes are guarded gate liberals, with an affluent but declining public school district.
Could you back any of these claims up with statistics or specific reasons, because what I'm reading here kind of just sounds like, "I went to UM and I like new things. Yup. Only the newest of new things will do. Also, I don't like those who don't share my ideology." which is fine. You're entitled to all of those things, but it may not be the best way to approach an objective discussion on which towns are best for 10 different criteria. Also, define "wholesome" kids

Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 AM

I would probably agree with the idea that Ann Arbor is the all-around winner in that it meets pretty much anyone's criteria when looking for a place to live, except for certain conservative snowflakes who need trigger warnings if they see a Planned Parenthood fundraiser in the streets.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I would probably agree with the idea that Ann Arbor is the all-around winner in that it meets pretty much anyone's criteria when looking for a place to live, except for certain conservative snowflakes who need trigger warnings if they see a Planned Parenthood fundraiser in the streets.
Liberal supporter of PP here: Can't stand Ann Arbor. The snobbish attitudes of superiority make me really uncomfortable and it's just too isolated for me. I'm sure it's great if you are a student/professor and never want to leave Ann Arbor, but it's an hour away from everything else. Also it's reallllly expensive. Unless you're earning 100k+ (or a student from a family earning 100k+), living in Ann Arbor is pretty much not a thing.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 AM

981 posts, read 1,121,144 times
Ann Arbor is a very good place to live but it doesn't necessarily have the mass appeal to many, and is also pretty distant from some of the major business/employment centers in Detroit. Its really only viable for those who work in Ann Arbor, Brighton, Plymouth/I-275 corridor, Dearborn, and at the limits for Downtown Detroit. Its a horrendous commute to Troy, Warren, Auburn Hills, and even Southfield during peak afternoon rush hour.

Ann Arbor is a dense, vibrant, liberal, world-class research university town. Its also very expensive.
It may not appeal to families who want a larger piece of property or a quiet setting, at least for areas within the core city.

Ann Arbor, like most places, its not a one-size fits all locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or