U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM

27,772 posts, read 65,683,557 times

Advertisements

We are requried to buy long term medical coverage not requried elsewhere, That is a big chunk of it. Insurance companies love that coverage, big premiums for somthing that almost never happens. It is a grreat money maker for them.
However we still do nto have a great insurance market. There just is not engouh competition. We have the highest rates in the USA, while Ohio, right next door has the lowest. The reasons are complex and they are many different influcing factors, but alack of real competition and the long terms medical are the easiest to identify and explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

Transplants from other areas keep saying this but I don't see it. I need to get out more I guess.
Independent restaurants abound:
THere are some things to consider.

Many transplants end up in the commonly hailed "nice" newer suburbs like Novi or Rochester Hills, where most of what you find are chains. Many of the places that are not chains, look and act like chains. Yes there are some indepndant places, no one said there are none, or if they did, that is not what theymeant, but they are few, and many of them are awful. A lot of them are just someone who knows nothing about cooking or the resturuant business but decided to open up a little place. Some of those turn out good, but most dont. So by comparison, many or most areas here have mostly chain resturuants which must have bland food because they are a national chain and must appeal to everyone, and few truely good independant resturuants. Not that many good chain outlets either, that is why CPK always has a 2 hour wait.

The other thing to consider is where they are coming from/comparing to. If you come from a crowded place like Orange County CA, New York, LA, Boston, Chicago, Maimi etc, you are accustomed to having the list you poasted about all within a mile or two at the most, not scattered about all over the place where you have a long drive and probably do not hear about the neat places. Comparativey, there is a vacuum in the good resturuant area here - a huge vacuum. It was the first big negative difference we noticed when we moved back. Lots of positives came first but this was an issue for us almost right away (that and all the smoking in resturuants (it was still legal)). Still, we have discovered about 8 really good resturuants within a reasonable distance of us (commpared to about 60 in OC). I think that is what people are talking about. Also I think in other places you get somewhat spoiled. Many of the places here people call "good" I would not go back to again.

I still have yet to find a really good, fresh Chineese place (and please to not say PF Changs - it is not that good, just expensive, plus it is a chain) What we miss are the cool places to take visitors to, not place they ahve a mile form their house in Claifornia or Texas, but something uniquely ours that they can say they hope to come back and eat there again, or talk about when they go home. The kind of place you can be proud to be recognized as a regualr. They just are not that common, in fact they are pretty rare.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM

3,252 posts, read 1,554,491 times
I am from Upstate NY (Syracuse) and also lived in the Metro Detroit area for approximately 10 years.

Our lists would be almost identical as far as likes and dislikes, lol.

No Wegman's is definitely a terrible thing. Of course, Meijer's was pretty good I've lived in places with NO options other than Wal-Mart.

The area is much better than Upstate NY in terms of roadway infrastructure; there is a major highway in the area for pretty much any direction that you need to go--I love that part.

I also miss the cultural diversity and the 24/7 availability of anything that I wanted.

The Michigan Left threw me off at first, too. It is still not my favorite but I did get used to them after a few months.

Whenever I say that I lived around Detroit, people automatically assume that it was a scary experience because the city has such a bad rap so I am constantly having to explain to them how it really is.

The area does have a lot going for it and I have read a lot about the city itself working on bringing back some business so that is good news.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,936,331 times
Yeahh, I've got to echo other posters here. If you think Detroit traffic is bad, you've clearly never lived in a large metro area. Detroit traffic is a cakewalk compared to places like LA, NYC, Atlanta, Seattle... and the Michigan Left, while strange, is awesome. It manages traffic very well and in a superior manner compared to other alternative intersections like the diverging diamond, continuous flow, or double left lane.

Also, regarding chain stores, it depends on where you live. If you're in suburbia like Novi, Macomb, Troy, or Canton - yes, absolutely. If you're in the quaint older downtowns like Royal Oak, Berkley, Ferndale, Grosse Pointe, Plymouth, or Northville - no, absolutely not.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,809,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THere are some things to consider.

Many transplants end up in the commonly hailed "nice" newer suburbs like Novi or Rochester Hills, where most of what you find are chains. Many of the places that are not chains, look and act like chains. Yes there are some indepndant places, no one said there are none, or if they did, that is not what theymeant, but they are few, and many of them are awful. A lot of them are just someone who knows nothing about cooking or the resturuant business but decided to open up a little place. Some of those turn out good, but most dont. So by comparison, many or most areas here have mostly chain resturuants which must have bland food because they are a national chain and must appeal to everyone, and few truely good independant resturuants. Not that many good chain outlets either, that is why CPK always has a 2 hour wait.

The other thing to consider is where they are coming from/comparing to. If you come from a crowded place like Orange County CA, New York, LA, Boston, Chicago, Maimi etc, you are accustomed to having the list you poasted about all within a mile or two at the most, not scattered about all over the place where you have a long drive and probably do not hear about the neat places. Comparativey, there is a vacuum in the good resturuant area here - a huge vacuum. It was the first big negative difference we noticed when we moved back. Lots of positives came first but this was an issue for us almost right away (that and all the smoking in resturuants (it was still legal)). Still, we have discovered about 8 really good resturuants within a reasonable distance of us (commpared to about 60 in OC). I think that is what people are talking about. Also I think in other places you get somewhat spoiled. Many of the places here people call "good" I would not go back to again.

I still have yet to find a really good, fresh Chineese place (and please to not say PF Changs - it is not that good, just expensive, plus it is a chain) What we miss are the cool places to take visitors to, not place they ahve a mile form their house in Claifornia or Texas, but something uniquely ours that they can say they hope to come back and eat there again, or talk about when they go home. The kind of place you can be proud to be recognized as a regualr. They just are not that common, in fact they are pretty rare.
Like Geo, I agree for outer ring burbs but disagree for inner ring burbs and the city because there are a ton of great places to eat that are locally owned and none of them are ever too far away if you live close enough to the city. But obviously "good food" is very subjective. When I was living in Southwest, Michigan Ave alone had more places to eat at within a few miles then we ever had a chance to try. Granted Michigan Ave goes through alot of great places lol but it's the same story for someone living further out like between west 6 mile and west 7 mile. I admit idk anything about the area Grosse Isle is in without looking on google maps but shouldn't Fort street have some good gems being the main street Downriver?

Quote:
Yeahh, I've got to echo other posters here. If you think Detroit traffic is bad, you've clearly never lived in a large metro area. Detroit traffic is a cakewalk compared to places like LA, NYC, Atlanta, Seattle
Well Buffalo is a large metro area. The same with Cleveland, STL, Indianapolis, ect but most people from there all think Detroit traffic is bad because a 40 minute commute is almost unheard of in the Midwest outside of Chicago and Detroit. Don't get me wrong, rush hour is terrible in Detroit, but with all of Detroit's freeways and alternate routes the metro area could probably gain a million people before Detroit has unbearable congestion problems. Speaking of Seattle, I never been there but I know it's a little smaller than metro Detroit, does their freeway system suck like Atlanta's? I hope not, because ATL's road system is the definition of a epic fail.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I admit idk anything about the area Grosse Isle is in without looking on google maps but shouldn't Fort street have some good gems being the main street Downriver?
There are a few, but again they are scattered. Some are on Fort Street, some on Jefferson, some on streets going inland. We have a lot of chains clustered together in Woodhaven (olgas, World of Beer, BWW, Applebees, IHOP, Bagger Daves, Black Rock, 5 guys, Bob Evans. . . ). The good independant places are scattered around at random, and there are not a ton of them.

There are a lot of good restruatns in Detroit, and even a few great ones, but many of the ones touted as great, aren't.

In GI itself, there are a handful of restaurants, but nothing to write home about. A cute diner, a Coney place, a couple of Bars with food. Smokes in Wyandotte is good, but the one in Grosse Ile just cannot get their act together (burned food, raw food (pizza for crying out loud), terrible service, completely disorganized). We gave them six tries, every time they had at least one disaster. Last time, it was a $20 steak that was 80% gristle. Time before that my daughters pizza was completely raw (the crust), we sent it back and I think they decided to teach us a lesson, it came back black top and bottom.

If someone comes to visit, we have to work hard thinking to come up with four cool/good places to take them to eat unless we go up to the City. In OC we had to think hard to limit the list to four places that we wanted to share with guests.

Part of the problem too is as you get further and further away, you just do not know what is good and what is not. I have no idea for example what restaurants in Westland might be good if any. There are quite a few places in Ecorse and River Rouge along Jefferson. Are any of them any good? No one seems to know. So many places we hear are great, then we go there and they are mediocre or awful.

Detroit is much much better, Ann Arbor too, but Ann arbor is moving more and more towards chains. I hope Detroit does nto start getting all Chainey, but it is already getting started.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,823,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
That isn't why car insurance is so expensive. And Michigan used to have an uninsured motorist fund, but they eliminated that years ago.

Car Insurance is expensive because the tort law industry (think Bernstein, Mike Morse, Fieger, etc) have successfully lobbied for unlimited cap on damages for lawsuits involving car accidents. That is why you see them gloating in their advertisements about their multi-million dollar winnings. There also isn't a cap on lifetime medical benefits received by injured claimants, which further drives up the liabilities facing insurance companies in Michigan. All of this is unheard of in most states.
Car insurance is higher across the entire state, but much higher for residence in Detroit, due to the reason you state. So imo it's fair to say that large judgements/settlements do contribute to higher rates, but it's incorrect to claim that it's the only factor.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 PM

439 posts, read 672,249 times
One of my peeves is the way cars are marketed in this area. All prices quoted are for "returning employee lessee" or "family pricing". GM and Chrysler are particularly bad at this. Not being from this area, I have no connection to the car industry. Am I in such a minority that I can be ignored?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:28 PM

941 posts, read 846,565 times
I am from this area and have only limited connections to the Big 3 and have always found that hilariously deceptive, too. I'd say it plays well to the car culture of the area, though, which is big on getting a new car every few years.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,077,233 times
Detroit metro area has much better ethnic food! Indian, Russian,Jewish deli,Greek, Lebanese, Syrian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, and some that I probably forgot. I would like better sources for Chinese, but we have that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit